News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Marcus

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by Marcus »

I read the Wiki article, Azrael, and noted that Swedish snus has no added sugar. You gotta wonder whether it's the tobacco that's so harmful or all the added sh*t put into cigarettes and snuff.

If you lay down a lit pipe or cigar, it goes out. If you lay down a lit cigarette, it keeps burning because of the added chemicals. Moreover, cigar tobacco and pipe tobacco, unless it has added aromatics, is plain tobacco, fermented but without added crap. Too, pipe and cigars are rarely inhaled.

Life goes on . . :?
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Marcus wrote:I read the Wiki article, Azrael, and noted that Swedish snus has no added sugar.
The sugar in chew probably contributes to tooth decay, etc.
You gotta wonder whether it's the tobacco that's so harmful or all the added sh*t put into cigarettes and snuff.
Both. There are some incredible things they put in cigarettes: gunpowder, formaldehyde, etc.
If you lay down a lit pipe or cigar, it goes out. If you lay down a lit cigarette, it keeps burning because of the added chemicals.
Yep. Cigarettes are disgusting.
Moreover, cigar tobacco and pipe tobacco, unless it has added aromatics, is plain tobacco, fermented but without added crap. Too, pipe and cigars are rarely inhaled.
I think that smoking a pipe is still pretty dangerous long term; but cigarette smoking is probably much worse.

Snus are probably the least dangerous tobacco product; but it is bound to lead to a higher risk of oral health problems, though considerably less so than chew.
It goes on longer without cigarettes.
cultivate a white rose
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Marcus wrote:I read the Wiki article, Azrael, and noted that Swedish snus has no added sugar. You gotta wonder whether it's the tobacco that's so harmful or all the added sh*t put into cigarettes and snuff.

If you lay down a lit pipe or cigar, it goes out. If you lay down a lit cigarette, it keeps burning because of the added chemicals. Moreover, cigar tobacco and pipe tobacco, unless it has added aromatics, is plain tobacco, fermented but without added crap. Too, pipe and cigars are rarely inhaled.

Yes I had changed from Marlboros because of their FSC chemical change a few years ago and was smoking American Spirit cigarettes because they were organic tobacco without filler. The filler that they add to the cigarette is about as addictive as the cigarette itself. You can become addicted to the fillers that are added to them to supercharge the nicotine, I think that probably helped me get as far as I have with my stop smoking attempt.
Been busy doing stuff
planctom

Post by planctom »

Just got back from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.i had two seminars to present during a medical conference; also I had the oportunity to visit a good friend friend of mine.
The city is growing very fast, new buildings, more cars, more clinics and universities.
All this from the the money generated by gas and agriculture.
Ah, good food and restaurants too, llama steaks and duck meat are very good!
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Spent last night at an area lake . . first time out this year in our old motor home. Fished this morning . . got a 10" rainbow that was eaten with bacon and eggs for breakfast . . also this 21" rainbow that I'll poach later for supper . . rough life . .
IMG_1465_2.jpg
IMG_1465_2.jpg (102.29 KiB) Viewed 13283 times
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

planctom wrote:Just got back from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.i had two seminars to present during a medical conference; also I had the oportunity to visit a good friend friend of mine.
The city is growing very fast, new buildings, more cars, more clinics and universities.
All this from the the money generated by gas and agriculture.
Ah, good food and restaurants too, llama steaks and duck meat are very good!
Glad to hear a success story from Bolivia.

I've never tried llama steaks. Sounds interesting.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Marcus wrote:Spent last night at an area lake . . first time out this year in our old motor home. Fished this morning . . got a 10" rainbow that was eaten with bacon and eggs for breakfast . . also this 21" rainbow that I'll poach later for supper . . rough life . .
IMG_1465_2.jpg
Indeed. :wink:
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:
Marcus wrote:Spent last night at an area lake . . first time out this year in our old motor home. Fished this morning . . got a 10" rainbow that was eaten with bacon and eggs for breakfast . . also this 21" rainbow that I'll poach later for supper . . rough life . .
IMG_1465_2.jpg
I didn't know you smoked a pipe Marcus
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
IMG_1465_2.jpg
Speaking of smoking, how are you holding up?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hoosiernorm wrote:I didn't know you smoked a pipe Marcus
I do . . Peterson pipes . . they've been around for over 100 years, made in Ireland, best smoking pipes, bar none . .
peterson-cutaway.jpg
peterson-cutaway.jpg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 13257 times
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Typhoon wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
IMG_1465_2.jpg
Speaking of smoking, how are you holding up?
Haven't had a smoke yet! I still haven't found a pouched chewing tobacco that I prefer so in the time being I'll just use what's cheapest. Did find some Skoal SNUS and the pouches are treated with mint and sugar which makes them taste amazingly like a really good breath mint. I haven't had a sinus headache in a month and don't get as fatigued as easily as I had been. Need to work on fighting the fat now, I have to actively keep myself from over eating. Food is amazing now and I enjoy it so much more now that I can smell it. The only down side is the ability to detect pet urine in the carpet. Gonna have to start saving money up for new carpet, the dog has made its way down into the pad and it's really not coming out with any form of conventional cleaning.
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Marcus wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:I didn't know you smoked a pipe Marcus
I do . . Peterson pipes . . they've been around for over 100 years, made in Ireland, best smoking pipes, bar none . .
peterson-cutaway.jpg
My grandfather and father were and are pipe smokers. Still remember the smell of Captain Black Gold wafting through the house as a youth.
Been busy doing stuff
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hoosiernorm wrote:My grandfather and father were and are pipe smokers. Still remember the smell of Captain Black Gold wafting through the house as a youth.
My pipe tobacco . . .
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 13240 times
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Just want to thank one and all for any prayers and happy thoughts sent my way. At root cause, an unfortunate professional matter where initial cavalier dismissal of impact was a bit of a defense mechanism. The conscience is a tireless orator. What ifs abound. One of those things.

Oh yeah. Anybody got friends with a houseboat for sale on the Amazon? I'm tired of Florida.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Just want to thank one and all for any prayers and happy thoughts sent my way. At root cause, an unfortunate professional matter where initial cavalier dismissal of impact was a bit of a defense mechanism. The conscience is a tireless orator. What ifs abound. One of those things.

Oh yeah. Anybody got friends with a houseboat for sale on the Amazon? I'm tired of Florida.
Sounds like you have been dealing with those lawyer types..... :( Best of luck dude!! Few things are easier to make than a raft!!

Every now and then a 1000 square mile chunk of ice breaks off the Antartic shelf. Should take years to melt....

floating in international waters, a man without a country, sounds peaceful...... ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

floating round in the arctic circle high seas .... hmm.. not a very good substitute for cruising down the amazon with a fishing line imho :P

sad to hear the crapness mr demon, ive had a run of lavender health and loony government rule changes making my life harder.. id love to live anywhere that isnt the slow motion train wreck which is the modern west... the needy children that think vanity is all you need to be an adult can perfect their prison without me.

.. and from the tone of that you can grok why im not posting much on politics anymore.
ultracrepidarian
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

noddy wrote:.

sad to hear the crapness mr demon, ive had a run of lavender health and loony government rule changes making my life harder.. id love to live anywhere that isnt the slow motion train wreck which is the modern west... the needy children that think vanity is all you need to be an adult can perfect their prison without me.

.. and from the tone of that you can grok why im not posting much on politics anymore.

getting tired too

like preaching to the wall

Sufi say, destiny is pre-programmed, whatever you do will not change a thing, so, why bother

things do not make sense anymore

Greenspan, for 10 years, when house prices were doubling each year, was saying no inflation .. and when that BANG hit, he was nowhere 2B found

and now, Bernanke, dancing same dance .. millions of Americans unemployed, a generation will be wasted, he saying, relaaax all is OK

noddy

Post by noddy »

AzariLoveIran wrote:

getting tired too

Sufi say, destiny is pre-programmed, whatever you do will not change a thing, so, why bother

Greenspan, for 10 years, when house prices were doubling each year, was saying no inflation .. and when that BANG hit, he was nowhere 2B found

and now, Bernanke, dancing same dance .. millions of Americans unemployed, a generation will be wasted, he saying, relaaax all is OK

my attitude is coming purely from a run of bad health and crazy local politics, mixed with overload at work due to reduced staff and increased anxiety in my customers (due to crazy local politics) ... best not to say much if you havent got anything nice to say.
ultracrepidarian
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

noddy wrote:
AzariLoveIran wrote:

getting tired too

my attitude is coming purely from a run of bad health and crazy local politics, mixed with overload at work due to reduced staff and increased anxiety in my customers (due to crazy local politics) ... best not to say much if you havent got anything nice to say.

we all going through tough times .. health and finances

health wise, with the age, things will only get worst

financial, questions only is, how much worst will it get

reflecting one's standing, I always thank god, things not much worst than it is, no matter how bad things become

so

noddy

there is always a sunny day after a dark night

make best out of it

wish you best heath and lots of customers

ARK

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Demon of Undoing wrote:Just want to thank one and all for any prayers and happy thoughts sent my way. At root cause, an unfortunate professional matter where initial cavalier dismissal of impact was a bit of a defense mechanism. The conscience is a tireless orator. What ifs abound. One of those things.

Read Theroux's "The Mosquito Coast" first. Theroux is more known for his travel writing, but his ability to develop fictional characters is second only to DIckens. The only male author I know who can build good females. Plots are thin, but that is easily ignored with good pacing.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Marcus wrote:
Hoosiernorm wrote:My grandfather and father were and are pipe smokers. Still remember the smell of Captain Black Gold wafting through the house as a youth.
My pipe tobacco . . .
images.jpeg
Why is it that cigars taste great but smell like lavender but pipes smell great and taste like acidic fumaroles?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Why is it that cigars taste great but smell like lavender but pipes smell great and taste like acidic fumaroles?

Haven't a clue, Nonc, I smoke both and the above is not my experience with either. Make sure you buy decent, long-filler, hand-rolled cigars . . no Swisher Sweets, and stay away from "aromatic" (read "adulterated with smelly crap") pipe tobaccos.

If you're looking for a good, straight, no-nonsense pipe tobacco, you might give this one a try though Arminians often find it too strong for their tastes:
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2214_16901683.gif
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2214_16901683.gif (15.02 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
Good luck . .
Last edited by Marcus on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

In real news, I signed Dad into hospice care today. This is an improvement for him - he gets out of the hospital and hopefully home to die in his own house with family soon.

Hopefully Dad will get to listen to me yell at my daughter to keep her room clean and for my wife to gripe at me for "playing" on the computer and not keeping up with the housework. We may be lazy slobs but I think he prefers that to hospitals.

Teresa of Ávila
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:In real news, I signed Dad into hospice care today. This is an improvement for him - he gets out of the hospital and hopefully home to die in his own house with family soon.

Hopefully Dad will get to listen to me yell at my daughter to keep her room clean and for my wife to gripe at me for "playing" on the computer and not keeping up with the housework. We may be lazy slobs but I think he prefers that to hospitals.
Best wishes and my prayers . . a tough row to hoe . . :(
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Marcus wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Why is it that cigars taste great but smell like lavender but pipes smell great and taste like acidic fumaroles?

Haven't a clue, Nonc, I smoke both and the above is not my experience with either. Make sure you buy decent, long-filler, hand-rolled cigars . . no Swisher Sweets, and stay away from "aromatic" {read "adulterated with smelly crap") pipe tobaccos.

Good luck . .
I know good cigars and prefer cheroots rolled old style in cones so the draw better. Florida culture. Swisher Sweets are for dopers to split open and dump cheap reefer inside - blunts.

Teresa of Ávila