News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
noddy

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by noddy »

gin in cider sounds disgusting, id stick to a natural ferment scrumpy like the normandy stuff.

we have new puppies which is akin to babies, leaving wide planks of wood across the bottom of all main exits should suffice until fences can be upgraded.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:gin in cider sounds disgusting, id stick to a natural ferment scrumpy like the normandy stuff.

we have new puppies which is akin to babies, leaving wide planks of wood across the bottom of all main exits should suffice until fences can be upgraded.
what kind of pups? Pictures please.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Update:

Three things. First - alcohol. We have apples, lots and lots of apples. So, we need a cider press and some suitable containers for fermenting. Should have a good stew within weeks. The locals tell me that the addition of gin to cider makes for a good drink, something akin to the addition of spirit to wine in the making of port.

Second - the trees. We started the settlement in autumn and so we have not been there in full leaf (almost all our woodland is deciduous). We just don't know what the effect will be. Our clearing is small and surrounded by woods on all sides. We may lose light.

Third - the baby. She is getting active and moves fast. The woods are dangerous in many ways. We have made an outside enclosure for her to wander about in, but it does feel a bit constricting. Have to think about that. There are deep gulleys near to the cabin, so it is a worry.

M.
alex,

Yer makin me smile. Always enjoy it when intellectuals attempt to imitate the simple folk.

Nothing more amusing than city dwellers who look down on rural lifestyles and then who choose to vacation in the hinterlands.

Not sayin that's you, but I'm sure you know some. ;)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:gin in cider sounds disgusting, id stick to a natural ferment scrumpy like the normandy stuff.

the popular breed in our area at the moment is english staffies so they are what was to be found in the local paper - ones a pure breed the other a mixed mongrel.

very happy little dogs, indomitable.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

the popular breed in our area at the moment is english staffies so they are what was to be found in the local paper - ones a pure breed the other a mixed mongrel.

very happy little dogs, indomitable.
Glad to hear it. I know the spirit. Our two young dogs are enjoying at least their second lifetime together. Best buds, and absolutely brutal playmates.
I know, sounds nuts, but the anecdotes are impressive. As an experiment, we got their DNA tested.

Maggie: 3/8 Rottweiler, 3/8 Aussie Cattle dog, 1/4 Mixed
Emma: 1/8 boxer, 1/8 Rottweiler, 3/8 Golden Retriever, 3/8 American Staffordshire Terrier
noddy

Post by noddy »

we call 'australian cattle dogs' heelers.

(for their skill of bossing round big animals via heel nipping)

part rottie, part heeler sounds like a wonderful handful :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:we call 'australian cattle dogs' heelers.

(for their skill of bossing round big animals via heel nipping)

part rottie, part heeler sounds like a wonderful handful :)
They are also called heelers here. Blue Heelers, Red Heelers, and I have seen one Indigo Heeler.

Maggie just turned a year old. Wonderful dog, total f**king wiseass. I assume that's the Strine part. Maybe part magpie as well. As always, they pick their own names. In a previous life, one of the Trainers we hired called her "Wild Thing," and said she had enough confidence for three dogs.

Her & Emma spend several hours each day wrestling, chasing, and nipping at each other's legs. Twice a week we go up to our 40 acres with a half mile of creek frontage. They run about 30 miles, splash, swim, dig, and wrestle with the two free range dogs up there, then go into a half hour coma.
noddy

Post by noddy »

nice :)

my recently deceased ( lymph cancer :/ ) was half heeler, half staffy, she was unique.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:nice :)

my recently deceased ( lymph cancer :/ ) was half heeler, half staffy, she was unique.
Sounds like both a good dog and a power chewer. In Emma's previous life she was a heeler/Basenji mix. Cast iron stomach, and would yoodle on occassion.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Gin in applejack? Ptui!

Better brandy or a dark rum. I've never tried that new cinnamon infused bourbon, but that sounds promising for this particular purpose.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

nod,

It was a local farmer and scrumpy brewer who gave me the gin tip. South West England is well known for scrumps and we have many brewers around us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrumpy

Haven't tried the gin yet, but might also give vodka a try, or even better my Amazon moonshine. 8-)

fences,

We have had to build everything from scratch. So far there is a decked area and I'm recommending posts, frame and plastic weave netting for the babs safety. She is a climber though.

A.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:
.... intellectuals ....
SM,

There you go again. ;)

Not sayin that's you... ;)
Never doubted you.

A.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Update:

Three things. First - alcohol. We have apples, lots and lots of apples. So, we need a cider press and some suitable containers for fermenting. Should have a good stew within weeks. The locals tell me that the addition of gin to cider makes for a good drink, something akin to the addition of spirit to wine in the making of port.

Second - the trees. We started the settlement in autumn and so we have not been there in full leaf (almost all our woodland is deciduous). We just don't know what the effect will be. Our clearing is small and surrounded by woods on all sides. We may lose light.

Third - the baby. She is getting active and moves fast. The woods are dangerous in many ways. We have made an outside enclosure for her to wander about in, but it does feel a bit constricting. Have to think about that. There are deep gulleys near to the cabin, so it is a worry.

M.
Alex,

This post would also fit nicely in the thread you started "What do Conservatives Fear?"

just sayin..... ;)
noddy

Post by noddy »

hah :)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

To all forum member who may be affected by the recent Hurricane Irma, hope and trust that you're fine.

Nonc Hilaire if I'm not mistaken and Booklady, over at that other forum, come to mind.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:To all forum member who may be affected by the recent Hurricane Irma, hope and trust that you're fine.

Nonc Hilaire if I'm not mistaken and Booklady, over at that other forum, come to mind.
I'm pretty safe. I live in the area the coastal people evacuate to. A few big trees will fall over, hopefully not on me. Power will probably go down and I will have to eat sandwiches in the dark for a couple days.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:To all forum member who may be affected by the recent Hurricane Irma, hope and trust that you're fine.

I'm pretty safe. I live in the area the coastal people evacuate to. A few big trees will fall over, hopefully not on me. Power will probably go down and I will have to eat sandwiches in the dark for a couple days.
Good to read you're on relatively higher ground, away from the storm surge.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

glad to hear all is well in noncland.

also looking forward to the endless stream of "florida man" videos of loose nuts doing amusing things in the storm.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Cousins of mine posted video of their flooded streets. They lost drain pipes and had some other lil'damages to their home but otherwise all is good.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Power is back along w/cell & internet. And a huge pile of broken branches.

Teresa of Ávila
kmich

Post by kmich »

Back for the next month or so to be with family for the holidays. The wife and I moved on from Turkey and finally reunited to work together since this past May rotating through clinics in the Bekaa valley in Lebanon. Lots of basic medicine and an assortment of wound care and other challenges for us to try to manage in often tenuous circumstances.

Haven’t paid much attention to what has been happening stateside. Really have not needed the additional worry and confusion. Immigration people were nicer than usual upon our arrival, but pretty overwhelmed and somewhat confused about policies. I suppose they are just doing the best they can. I have been too harsh in my previous attitudes toward them.

Not sure what our plans are. Sold the house. Renting for the next couple of months. Time to make some serious decisions. My health has not been very good and I will need further assessment before we can decide. I don't know if I can physically manage another deployment. Hate having to grow old. Worry about my wife.

Hope all is well for everyone here. I sincerely wish none of you will ever have to endure the suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty I have witnessed. We are very blessed here in this country, and while very thankful for that, I oddly enough feel a pang of guilt with my present, fortuitous circumstances. But I suppose our many blessings are simply to be enjoyed with quiet gratitude.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Welcome home, kmitch!

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Good to see you back.....^^........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

kmich wrote:.

. . I sincerely wish none of you will ever have to endure the suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty I have witnessed.

Welcome back, "kmich", welcome

Hmmm .. folks in Bekaa valley in Lebanon and surrounding enduring "suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty" :twisted:

Who's bothering them ? ? ?

Iranians ! ! ! :o .. can not be, Bekaa Valley home to Lebanon Shia, those supposedly Iranian agents

Who else :lol:

noddy

Post by noddy »

Welcome Kmich - politics is as simple as it ever was, trump is hitler until we get a new hitler in a few years.

sounds like you need a recovery time, your a braver man than i.
ultracrepidarian