News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

My heart is broken, but this is for the best of motives. The best of intents. G_d will bless you.........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

yes best of luck, sounds like an atom bomb of change, which is always rewarding.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

kmich wrote:Have decided to retire from my practice in the US this year. It was time to move on and face up to growing older.

. . .

My deepest motives for leaving though have really been spiritual and not political. When I stand before my Creator, I want to be counted with the sheep and not a goats: “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” (Matthew 25:35-40)

Best to all - kmich
Your thoughtful contributions will be missed. However, you're off to do something worthwhile.

Godspeed, kmich.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

The Eastern border of SimpleMindedStan:
Attachments
emmasign.JPG
emmasign.JPG (155.79 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

He'll want trespass forms filled out and signed in triplicate.......'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:The Eastern border of SimpleMindedStan:
the guard looks great :) but suspiciously weak willed against bribery in brisket form.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:The Eastern border of SimpleMindedStan:
the guard looks great :) but suspiciously weak willed against bribery in brisket form.
That's all part of the plan. Emma's job is to delay intruders via either eating treats, licking them affectionately, playing tug, looking cute, or discussing liberal politics until the German Shepard can get there. She is the equivalent of a Columbia or Harvard PhD in all these arenas. Probably should coach her on AGW soon....

The German Shepard is old and slow, but he has the biting ability, and the impermeability to mental input of Zack or HP. :)

He's just like both of them when it comes to promoting one's group identity and tribal superiority.

No need to re-invent the wheel in these matters. Stick with what works! In SimpleMndedStan, we not only celebrate diversity, we utilize it! ;)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Guys,

We have to rely on our hamster for home security.

I have a hangover today after good wine and a little whiskey last night. I now know for sure that I can't tell the difference between Bulleit Rye and Bulleit bourbon, tasted side by side. I can tell the difference between JD and everything else though. :D

A.
noddy

Post by noddy »

gerbils have a reputation for vicious hospitalizations, perhaps hamsters could be likewise valiant defenders.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

noddy wrote:gerbils have a reputation for vicious hospitalizations, perhaps hamsters could be likewise valiant defenders.
nod,

Unless you have cheese. :D

A.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:gerbils have a reputation for vicious hospitalizations, perhaps hamsters could be likewise valiant defenders.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Our daughter and her eco-warrior family are living in the woods. They have just finished building a compost toilet in a nice shed with steps leading up to it. I suggested they call it 'Trump Tower' and the suggestion has been accepted with much mirth! :D

A.
YMix

Post by YMix »

The Trump Tower, complete with a Trump Throne.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Our daughter and her eco-warrior family are living in the woods. They have just finished building a compost toilet in a nice shed with steps leading up to it. I suggested they call it 'Trump Tower' and the suggestion has been accepted with much mirth! :D

A.
I suggest Santiago de Compostella.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
manolo wrote:Folks,

A.
I suggest Santiago de Compostella.
How freaking Yupie do you have to be to have a "composting toilet?" Newsflash Alex, your daughter and her family are redneck right wingers!

Per the artsie-fartsie post, redneck hipsters don't even recognize their own group identity.

You need to wait until one of them is inside and then tip that thing over!

Calling an outhouse a composting toilet don't make nobody enlightened! ;)
manolo

Post by manolo »

SM,

Four sentences and only three exclamation marks. I didn't get the full house. :(

A.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:SM,

Four sentences and only three exclamation marks. I didn't get the full house. :(

A.
I was barely able to hold myself back.... ;) Lucky for you, the caps lock on my keyboard is broke.... and my trebuchet is still broke from trying to toss a cow over our western border fence and in to the neighbor's inground swimming pool....

Your people insult my people by claiming an outhoose (Freudian typo, Canadian spelling) is a composting toilet. like you're better than us or something....

Kinda like us claiming that your white English queen is a transgendered black French king..... :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

my best mate spent top dollar on a composting toilet, solar, water tanks on his place but the local council decided it wanted to gentrify and started charging him for those services so it could then afford to provide them and handle more development.

the world is getting a bit full for that kind of living :/ good luck to her, if i could afford it i would be doing the same.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

noddy wrote:my best mate spent top dollar on a composting toilet, solar, water tanks on his place but the local council decided it wanted to gentrify and started charging him for those services so it could then afford to provide them and handle more development.

the world is getting a bit full for that kind of living :/ good luck to her, if i could afford it i would be doing the same.
nod,

My daughter's place is very isolated, amazingly so in today's UK. :) Visiting her is reminiscent of the Beverly Hillbillies, but no oil. What they do have is an endless supply of wood (lumber) which needs chopping and stacking for seasoned logs. Just now the logs are rotting under a dense cover of forest.

The composting toilet was expensive (£1500) and has all the proper science with an underground soakaway etc. I just think it will be freeeeezing when its freezing.

What's nice is when we are walking on the hills we can look back and spot her place by the smoke from her stove. On a still day it just rises straight in the cold air above the trees.

A.
noddy

Post by noddy »

nice. best of luck to her.

my mate thought he was miles from nowhere, 400km from the city but then the place got trendy for tree changer retirees.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

That composting toilet should come with a methane heater.

She would either be warm in winter or the first Briton on the moon. Win-win.

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Guys,

News from the ranch.

We have nowhere to deposit the baby. Every place is dangerous, especially the storm drains. :shock:

I'm trying to convince our daughter that she needs some kind of baby cage outdoors with good fencing and astroturf. Maybe in sight of the kitchen window?

This is the total Grandpa worrying thing. :) The babs burned herself on the log stove last week and daughter said "She has to learn". Fair doos.

m.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Update:

I've decided to call it the 'settlement'. We don't have any steers and its not really a farm, just some extensive woodland. We have a cabin that can be moved on the back of a truck and the composting toilette.

Anyway, we also now have a landline phone and essential services, but not on the mains. Some problems are the baby wandering into open storm drains and me almost being poisoned by unpasteurised milk. Otherwise all is good. :)

The settlement is on the moors, which means colder and mistier than down at sea level, most of the time. But clear nights give us a fantastic starry sky, free from urban lighting. Our daughter wants an astronomical telescope, which is my department. :)

No home made moonshine as yet but Amazon have provided the product within 24 hours of ordering, delivered by a very efficient Polish driver.

A.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/ ... 2_west.jpg

Our most recent upgrade, directly behind the manor house.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Update:

Three things. First - alcohol. We have apples, lots and lots of apples. So, we need a cider press and some suitable containers for fermenting. Should have a good stew within weeks. The locals tell me that the addition of gin to cider makes for a good drink, something akin to the addition of spirit to wine in the making of port.

Second - the trees. We started the settlement in autumn and so we have not been there in full leaf (almost all our woodland is deciduous). We just don't know what the effect will be. Our clearing is small and surrounded by woods on all sides. We may lose light.

Third - the baby. She is getting active and moves fast. The woods are dangerous in many ways. We have made an outside enclosure for her to wander about in, but it does feel a bit constricting. Have to think about that. There are deep gulleys near to the cabin, so it is a worry.

M.