News from Forum Participants

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
kmich

Re: News from Forum Participants

Post by kmich »

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone.
Heracleum Persicum wrote:
kmich wrote:.

. . I sincerely wish none of you will ever have to endure the suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty I have witnessed.

Welcome back, "kmich", welcome

Hmmm .. folks in Bekaa valley in Lebanon and surrounding enduring "suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty" :twisted:

Who's bothering them ? ? ?

Iranians ! ! ! :o .. can not be, Bekaa Valley home to Lebanon Shia, those supposedly Iranian agents

Who else :lol:

Hello again, HP. It’s really complicated over there. There is plenty of blame to go around. No innocent parties other than many of the displaced and damaged families and children.
noddy wrote:Welcome Kmich - politics is as simple as it ever was, trump is hitler until we get a new hitler in a few years.
Hi noddy. The news has had an unreal quality here since I have been back. Part tabloid, part reality show, part soap opera, part farce. People seem to have an existential need to have demons in their lives, and if they don’t live with real ones I suppose they will need to construct them to fulfill that purpose.
noddy wrote:sounds like you need a recovery time, your a braver man than i.
You bet, been tired and not well. As far as bravery goes, I dunno. I hate to get all religious on you, but the way I see it, none of us asked to be born so we were brought into this world to fulfill God’s purposes. Everyone was created with the talents, opportunities, and circumstances divinely conceived for many different destinies, and whether or not we have had a life well lived is how well we have made choices true to what we have been given. Quiet, honest reflection is probably the best way to sort that one out.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Welcome back, kmich.

Thank you for your good works.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote:Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone.

. . I sincerely wish none of you will ever have to endure the suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty I have witnessed.

Hmmm .. folks in Bekaa valley in Lebanon and surrounding enduring "suffering, anxiety, confusion, pain, and cruelty" :twisted:

Iranians ! ! ! :o .. can not be, Bekaa Valley home to Lebanon Shia, those supposedly Iranian agents

Hello again, HP. It’s really complicated over there. There is plenty of blame to go around. No innocent parties other than many of the displaced and damaged families and children.
noddy wrote:Welcome Kmich - politics is as simple as it ever was, trump is hitler until we get a new hitler in a few years.
Hi noddy. The news has had an unreal quality here since I have been back. Part tabloid, part reality show, part soap opera, part farce. People seem to have an existential need to have demons in their lives, and if they don’t live with real ones I suppose they will need to construct them to fulfill that purpose.
noddy wrote:sounds like you need a recovery time, your a braver man than i.
You bet, been tired and not well. As far as bravery goes, I dunno. I hate to get all religious on you, but the way I see it, none of us asked to be born so we were brought into this world to fulfill God’s purposes. Everyone was created with the talents, opportunities, and circumstances divinely conceived for many different destinies, and whether or not we have had a life well lived is how well we have made choices true to what we have been given. Quiet, honest reflection is probably the best way to sort that one out.
Welcome back kmich! You are a much better person than I. Kudos and thanks for all you do. Hopefully, you have been or will be well rewarded for your good deeds. If not yet, as they say, virtue is it's own reward.

I love the above observation. People do seem to have an existential need for demons, and also to imagine themselves as knight's slaying dragons, or special agents of god. I leave the explanation to those who are more astute and aware than I.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Welcome back Kmich.
Deep down I'm very superficial
kmich

Post by kmich »

Simple Minded wrote:Welcome back kmich! You are a much better person than I. Kudos and thanks for all you do. Hopefully, you have been or will be well rewarded for your good deeds. If not yet, as they say, virtue is it's own reward.
Thanks for the kind welcome, SM.

I am always uncomfortable when people say I am better than them, not from any affected humility, but a realization of my own screwed-upness I have had to address over the years. In my own religious sense which I appreciate many here will not share, we are all sinners in the eyes of God and require His love and redemption that we are called upon to share with others. Often have not been very good at my willingness to receive this grace, and even less so with the sharing part.

Virtue is its won reward in that it makes our world larger. I always know when I am doing well when my world becomes larger and spacious, as well as realizing I am on the wrong path when it becomes smaller and more confined.
Simple Minded wrote:I love the above observation. People do seem to have an existential need for demons, and also to imagine themselves as knight's slaying dragons, or special agents of god. I leave the explanation to those who are more astute and aware than I.
I don’t know about my being particularly more aware or astute, but, for the challenge of it, I will take a quick stab at this anyway.

We human beings are challenged by many competing forces, some good and some evil. When the resulting confusion as to who we really are fosters fears, insecurities, and intolerable uncertainties, we often tend to attempt to resolve this existential challenge by projecting our shadows, our darkness, onto others so we can construct our own satisfying identities that are somehow clear, righteous, and innocent.

If we live in cultures with traditions that offer its members stable identities through standards of shared dignity, participation, and mutual obligation, we will require less of this process of projection. However, if the culture we live in can no longer support our sense of value, dignity, and identity as human beings, fragmentation and conflict results along with the demonization of the “other.” This typically occurs in periods of rapid change and displacement when collective traditions and institutions fail to respond to constantly changing circumstances. When these consequently deteriorate and break down, they take down with them the shared ethics, faith, and history that support any way to derive a secure sense of identity and dignity from our cultures. We are left to our own devices, and turn to tribalism or cynicism, both of which construct and project a host of demons in the world around them. Tribalism confronts their “demons” with fear, hysteria, conspiracy mongering, intense partisanship, and often violence, while cynicism faces them with a smug, pusillanimous complacence.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone.

No innocent party, "kmich" ? ? ?

Well, maybe not :lol:

The article above, accurate, says who were the culprit of all those suffering you witnessed.

US government should give General Qasem Soleimani Medal of Honor (highest military decoration that may be awarded by the United States government.).

Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote:

I am always uncomfortable when people say I am better than them, not from any affected humility, but a realization of my own screwed-upness I have had to address over the years. In my own religious sense which I appreciate many here will not share, we are all sinners in the eyes of God and require His love and redemption that we are called upon to share with others. Often have not been very good at my willingness to receive this grace, and even less so with the sharing part.

Virtue is its won reward in that it makes our world larger. I always know when I am doing well when my world becomes larger and spacious, as well as realizing I am on the wrong path when it becomes smaller and more confined.
Well I'm pretty sure you are a better person than I (don't be flattered....., it's a low bar. ;) ), but I do understand, only too well, the never ending conflict with one's internal demons. "The greatest battles of life are fought daily in the silent chambers of the soul." The beam in one's own eye, etc.

The best people I know spend most of their energy attempting to right themselves. As one who has struggled with depression for decades, I realize it is a never ending battle. It is an interesting intersection of the physical, spiritual, psychological, chemical, and experiential.

Try to "fix" others? Ha! I am the last one they should listen to. But still I preach! :P

Thankfully though, helping others is very personally rewarding. One of the best aspects of human mental hardwiring seems to be, the self-esteem or sense of gratification that comes from being generous or in helping others.
kmich wrote: I don’t know about my being particularly more aware or astute, but, for the challenge of it, I will take a quick stab at this anyway.

We human beings are challenged by many competing forces, some good and some evil. When the resulting confusion as to who we really are fosters fears, insecurities, and intolerable uncertainties, we often tend to attempt to resolve this existential challenge by projecting our shadows, our darkness, onto others so we can construct our own satisfying identities that are somehow clear, righteous, and innocent.

If we live in cultures with traditions that offer its members stable identities through standards of shared dignity, participation, and mutual obligation, we will require less of this process of projection. However, if the culture we live in can no longer support our sense of value, dignity, and identity as human beings, fragmentation and conflict results along with the demonization of the “other.” This typically occurs in periods of rapid change and displacement when collective traditions and institutions fail to respond to constantly changing circumstances. When these consequently deteriorate and break down, they take down with them the shared ethics, faith, and history that support any way to derive a secure sense of identity and dignity from our cultures. We are left to our own devices, and turn to tribalism or cynicism, both of which construct and project a host of demons in the world around them. Tribalism confronts their “demons” with fear, hysteria, conspiracy mongering, intense partisanship, and often violence, while cynicism faces them with a smug, pusillanimous complacence.
Very, very well said. Thanks for the thoughtful reply! As humans we desire stability, but the future is inherently unstable.

More so today, no doubt with ever more rapidly changing technology. Loss of one's culture due to virtual invasion or dilution, is more feared by many than physical conquest, or forced changed.

Not at all surprising, that in the first world with an almost infinite choice of recreation activities and luxuries, we descend into petty scwables. With less options, it is easier to find common ground.

The aspect I find interesting is the need to "correct" or "fix" the others, in the name of tolerance or to force assimilation in the name of diversity. Perhaps not a deeper phenomena than the bastardization of language. And of course, entertainment that distracts us from focusing on our own faults and flaws.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Headed to Tegucigalpa at the end of the month for a 8 week medical/surgical assignment at the main hospital there. I have been restless and bored at home. There is only so many fixing up projects of the house I can find to do, and the news here continues to be superficial, ugly and depressing. Plenty of complex GSW’s to surgically attend to in Honduras anyway, and I have not been to Latin America on service for over 20 years. Need to brush up on some basic Spanish.

Kids are on their own, have their own lives. My wife is not terribly happy about my mission, particularly since I was recently diagnoses with prostate adenocarcinoma. The cancer is confined to the prostate and not aggressive, and the prognosis is excellent, but I will need a robotic, laparoscopic prostatectomy sometime this year. Agreed with my urologist to do so upon my return in July. The misses will stay home this time.

Time is short, will need to do what I can still do in order to die without regrets of what I could have done. What we do for others in our short lives and not what we happen to think or believe, is what makes for a life well lived IMHO...
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

God bless you, Kmich!
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

best of luck with all aspects of that.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Amen kimch. Good to see those with great talents are using them to benefit others. As Dennis Miller would say "you're in a pneumatic tube to Heaven." I wish you the best.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Good luck, Kmich.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

kmich wrote:Headed to Tegucigalpa at the end of the month for a 8 week medical/surgical assignment at the main hospital there. I have been restless and bored at home. There is only so many fixing up projects of the house I can find to do, and the news here continues to be superficial, ugly and depressing. Plenty of complex GSW’s to surgically attend to in Honduras anyway, and I have not been to Latin America on service for over 20 years. Need to brush up on some basic Spanish.

Kids are on their own, have their own lives. My wife is not terribly happy about my mission, particularly since I was recently diagnoses with prostate adenocarcinoma. The cancer is confined to the prostate and not aggressive, and the prognosis is excellent, but I will need a robotic, laparoscopic prostatectomy sometime this year. Agreed with my urologist to do so upon my return in July. The misses will stay home this time.

Time is short, will need to do what I can still do in order to die without regrets of what I could have done. What we do for others in our short lives and not what we happen to think or believe, is what makes for a life well lived IMHO...
I'm reminded of Tennyson's Ulysses.

Best of success in your endeavours, kmich.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Got back on Tuesday. Have to say, the ER at Hosptial Escuela in Tegucigalpa had to be one of the busiest and craziest ER's I ever worked in. Lots of incoming injuries from gang, domestic, and random, criminal violence. Gunshot wounds with a assortment of knife lacerations and blunt force injuries. Lots of very distraught families who could turn resigned and stoic about their loved ones when their conditions turned bad, often relying on their traditional, Christian religious faith.

The ER doctors I worked with were committed and capable, and typically consulted and worked with me on more challenging situations requiring more advanced operative techniques. Other than periodic power outages due to infrastructure/funding issues, facilities were actually better than what I have often seen abroad. Overall, a hectic and stressful but hopeful experience from the perspective of medical/surgical care and witnessing how people maintain hope through faith while in often impossible conditions.

In spite of the violence and security issues in Honduras, people were actually more open and trusting than what I often experienced back home. They are very close and connected to their families and communities. While they really did not want to leave their families and communities, they would occasionally ask my advice about seeking asylum for themselves and family members in the US usually due to fearing for their lives and for those of their family members. These people are in situations that are really desperate, not that anyone outside the country has any comprehension other than whatever they can stuff into their own cultural and political frames.

Having spent some time before with other refugee populations though, I have learned that it is best to do what I can to provide them with medical and psychological support but to stay away from offering guidance on emigration issues. National border situations are perilous, complex, and constantly change everywhere. Misguided advice in support of emigration can get someone stuck in a Kafkaesque, bureaucrat labyrinth, and/or locked up in some overcrowded, dangerous detention facility. Most of the people in Tegucigalpa were much better informed than me about the US border situation anyway, and many decide to take their chances with all that rather than staying in country and being killed or maimed by a spouse or a gang. It is all very complicated and depressing.

Good to be home around family, friends, and church community. Met with the urologist yesterday and I am scheduled for the radical prostatectomy the 9th of July...
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Welcome back kmich. You are doing God's work! I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Sounds like you have earned plenty of good Karma.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Welcome back! It will be fun to put your prostrate into our nightly prayers. I love it when I can surprise the family with off the wall stuff.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
kmich

Post by kmich »

Thank you for the kind welcome and good wishes SM and NH. Don't know about the Karma thing, SM, since I have never been very successful at anticipating God's will in my life. He is not always particularly nice.

Thanks for also remembering me in your nightly prayers, Nonc. In addition to the benefit of prayers, increasing awareness in good humor is a really good thing, since many men are scared of this disease. I notice some of my older male friends get a scared look when I told them my diagnosis and have been avoiding me lately. Diffusing all that with humor is a great idea.

Aside from non-melanoma skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men in the United States. About 1 out of every 9 men will be diagnosed with it in their lifetime and about 1 in 6 of those diagnosed will die of the disease. Early treatment is essential for a good outcome and survival. Be sure to follow your PSA with your doctor. If its high, the Multiparametric-MRI of the prostate with endorectal coil is very helpful with early staging.

Thanks again for the welcome and good wishes. kmich
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich,

My doctor says "If you're a man, and you live long enough, you will die of prostate cancer." Women seem to be immune for some reason. :P

High PSA's are full of false positives, some doctors doubt the value of the test. My own PSA's vary widely, thankfully biopsies were negative. Removal of the prostate seems to be the most certain treatment.

Best wishes.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Humor. The Bible is full of humor but the churches ignore it, which is a big reason many men avoid church. Too dull.

Teresa of Ávila
kmich

Post by kmich »

Simple Minded wrote:kmich,

My doctor says "If you're a man, and you live long enough, you will die of prostate cancer." Women seem to be immune for some reason. :P

High PSA's are full of false positives, some doctors doubt the value of the test. My own PSA's vary widely, thankfully biopsies were negative. Removal of the prostate seems to be the most certain treatment.

Best wishes.
Thanks again for the kind wishes, SM

The PSA has been very controversial due to its high sensitivity with low specificity. Standard practice for years was to conduct prostate biopsies after high PSA’s which tend to be hit or miss depend on where they decided to sample as well as the eye of a particular pathologist.

My PSA had gone all over the range for years (2.0 to 13.0 ng/mL), but 2 biopsies proved negative several years ago. After having some nasty, experiences last fall with prostatitis and difficulty with urination, I decided to go to an experienced urologist at a large teaching hospital and, after drawing the PSA that was modestly elevated (6.94 ng/mL), he recommended the Multiparametric MRI to determine whether I had prostate cancer or just BPH. The MRI spotted a highly suspicious lesion (RAD5) and a subsequent MRI guided biopsy confirmed the cancer. The great thing about major teaching hospitals is that they have the latest technology, they have large residency programs, and lots of eyes look at your imaging and biopsy samples under the review of more experienced physicians.

As nasty and painful as the prostatitis was, it ended up being God's blessing. I would have likely not have pursued further evaluation without it.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Humor. The Bible is full of humor but the churches ignore it, which is a big reason many men avoid church. Too dull.
Strongly agree with that. I found Howard Macy's short book "Discovering Humor in the Bible: An Explorer’s Guide" helpful in that regard.

It always really troubled me when my sister and I would get into trouble laughing in church as kids. Orthodox church fathers were a pretty dour bunch. There seems to have been a shared opinion among them that laughter challenged virtue and led to laxity. Interestingly, these dreary, depressing attitudes tended to produce periodic counter-reactions particularly in early modern Russian life, and Russians became notorious for their drinking and brawling, bizarre revelries often to the astonishment and derision of visiting Europeans. After all, you were an embarrassed host if your guests were able to leave your house on their own accord without being falling down drunk. The first week of Lent, Peter the Great would send a procession of "penitents" from his "jolly company" through the streets of Moscow wearing ridiculous costumes and riding donkeys or sitting in sleighs being pulled by goats, pigs, or bears.

Attitudes are thankfully changing. I do not believe that God's grace is given to magically dispel the incongruities and absurdities of ourselves and our lives. It is often impossible to bear the truth without humor.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:kmich,

Best wishes.
Thanks again for the kind wishes, SM

The PSA has been very controversial due to its high sensitivity with low specificity. Standard practice for years was to conduct prostate biopsies after high PSA’s which tend to be hit or miss depend on where they decided to sample as well as the eye of a particular pathologist.

My PSA had gone all over the range for years (2.0 to 13.0 ng/mL), but 2 biopsies proved negative several years ago. After having some nasty, experiences last fall with prostatitis and difficulty with urination, I decided to go to an experienced urologist at a large teaching hospital and, after drawing the PSA that was modestly elevated (6.94 ng/mL), he recommended the Multiparametric MRI to determine whether I had prostate cancer or just BPH. The MRI spotted a highly suspicious lesion (RAD5) and a subsequent MRI guided biopsy confirmed the cancer. The great thing about major teaching hospitals is that they have the latest technology, they have large residency programs, and lots of eyes look at your imaging and biopsy samples under the review of more experienced physicians.

As nasty and painful as the prostatitis was, it ended up being God's blessing. I would have likely not have pursued further evaluation without it.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Humor. The Bible is full of humor but the churches ignore it, which is a big reason many men avoid church. Too dull.
Strongly agree with that. I found Howard Macy's short book "Discovering Humor in the Bible: An Explorer’s Guide" helpful in that regard.

It always really troubled me when my sister and I would get into trouble laughing in church as kids. Orthodox church fathers were a pretty dour bunch. There seems to have been a shared opinion among them that laughter challenged virtue and led to laxity. Interestingly, these dreary, depressing attitudes tended to produce periodic counter-reactions particularly in early modern Russian life, and Russians became notorious for their drinking and brawling, bizarre revelries often to the astonishment and derision of visiting Europeans. After all, you were an embarrassed host if your guests were able to leave your house on their own accord without being falling down drunk. The first week of Lent, Peter the Great would send a procession of "penitents" from his "jolly company" through the streets of Moscow wearing ridiculous costumes and riding donkeys or sitting in sleighs being pulled by goats, pigs, or bears.

Attitudes are thankfully changing. I do not believe that God's grace is given to magically dispel the incongruities and absurdities of ourselves and our lives. It is often impossible to bear the truth without humor.
Good info to know kmich. Thanks. Didn't think I was going to tell you anything you did not already know. My PSA's have ranged from one to three, with a spike of six. Interesting that the value of the test itself is in dispute.

Being raised Catholic removed almost all my interest in reading the Bible. Most of the adult Catholics I have known don't seem to be getting much benefit from their religion. The Baptists seem to be a much more agreeable and happier bunch.

Which probably led me to the path of studying a myriad of religions and philosophies. And opinions of other authors on the Bible. God's will?

I thought Thomas a'Kempis' The Imitation of Christ was a very practical and useful guide. But I have never met a Christian who has read it.

I still think the content of the book is less important than the preparation of the mind that reads it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the bumper sticker version being "if you dont laugh, you will cry"
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the bumper sticker version being "if you dont laugh, you will cry"
Amen. It is a hallmark of genius to be able to breakdown extremely complex subjects into just a few words. Your genius is beyond contestation. ;)
kmich

Post by kmich »

Had the radical prostatectomy on Monday morning, got home from the hospital this morning. Stayed longer than expected at the hospital due to some unexplained, transient complications from hyponatremia. They probably gave me too much furosemide to flush fluid from me post surgery. Surgery otherwise went well.

Doing fine now I suppose. Sitting in a recliner, periodically getting up to walk around carrying a catheter bag, grumbling, farting, and burping while trying to support an grapefruit size scrotum. At least I am out of the damn ICU. Good thing my wife is patient. I am sure that the day will come when I will look back on this whole experience with a collection of health war stories in good humor. Not there yet. Get the catheter out next week.

Hope all is well with people here.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

kmich wrote:Had the radical prostatectomy on Monday morning, got home from the hospital this morning. Stayed longer than expected at the hospital due to some unexplained, transient complications from hyponatremia. They probably gave me too much furosemide to flush fluid from me post surgery. Surgery otherwise went well.

Doing fine now I suppose. Sitting in a recliner, periodically getting up to walk around carrying a catheter bag, grumbling, farting, and burping while trying to support an grapefruit size scrotum. At least I am out of the damn ICU. Good thing my wife is patient. I am sure that the day will come when I will look back on this whole experience with a collection of health war stories in good humor. Not there yet. Get the catheter out next week.

Hope all is well with people here.
I wish you all the best kmich, hopefully, soon, and for the next 50 years you will be telling your health war stories and laughing about it.

I think I speak for all of us at OTNOT in hoping you have the good taste not to post any selfies of you and your grapefruit sized scrotum......... :P