Environment and Weather | Weird - Pleasant - Dangerous

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Typhoon

Re: Weather: Weird - Pleasant - Dangerous

Post by Typhoon »

Heatwave in Japan.

Lightning strikes train in Tokyo:

PyjJ-uUROhs
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Kyoto after Typhoon Man-yi.

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Typhoon wrote:
Ah, the Kinkakuji temple! I have wonderful memories of visiting Kyoto many years ago, at this time of year with lovely autumn colours. Truly a unique place, thank goodness the Americans did not bomb the sh*t out of it, although a lot of walking as the temples are so spread out.

I did walk around, though, no boat needed.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

The East coast of England is expected to be hit later tonight by the worst storm surge since 1953. A big storm swept over Scotland earlier today, and apparently it is the combination of low pressure, strong north east winds, and unusually high tides which is the cause. Extensive coastal flooding expected, but flood defences and evacuation measures are fortunately much better than in 1953.

The Netherlands is going to take a hit.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Well, a turbocharged jet stream brought a whole succession of storms to the Atlantic coasts of Europe throughout December and early January , with flooding and some spectacular seas. Interesting to watch but as these guys discovered in Portugal,better from a safe distance ...

Meanwhile I gather that temperatures in the US Midwest and Canada would best be measured in degrees K than F or C. How are you guys doing in the Big Chill?
noddy

Post by noddy »

had the hottest night on record for my area during the weekend - 36c at midnight, the preceeding day had been 45c with strong desert winds and then the next day was 43c by 10am.

then we had a firestorm which ripped through 3 suburbs and has destroyed 44+ houses - it got within 100 metres of my brothers family.

ultracrepidarian
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Last week's polar vortex wasn't much fun. A friend of mine had 30" of snow in his front yard when the lake effect snow buried him in Valparaiso. The wind chills were very low even down here in Kentucky even for January. We haven't had anything like this for over 20 years and with the recent reasonable winters it's been very difficult to deal with.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Big snowfall in Western [Kansai] and esp Eastern [Kanto] Japan:

[Kyoto]

Tokyo had the heaviest snowfall in ~ 50 years.

ZM_PyEvKiNI
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Shinzo Abe do a photo op where he was pushing a stalled car out of a snow rut?........;)............
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:Shinzo Abe do a photo op where he was pushing a stalled car out of a snow rut?........;)............
If only. Those inbreds consider it beneath them to make the usual faux populist gestures.

Abe was probably at home watching the Tokyo Governor race.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Meanwhile, Down Under

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

idjyusDUGSc
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Re: Spirit of the Season

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

IvYlaxOqxIY
Typhoon

Re: Environment and Weather | Weird - Pleasant - Dangerous

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded

Re: Environment and Weather | Weird - Pleasant - Dangerous

Post by Simple Minded »

The picture brings back childhood memories of living near Rochester, NY. Never quite understood people paying premium prices for property on the south shore of Lake Ontario which is a yuge cold gray mass 8+ months of the year. High winds make the Lake Erie and Ontario tilt and flood. It is an impressive sight to be in Tonawanda NY and watch all the ice from Lake Erie flow into Lake Ontario.

Warm winters prevent Lake Ontario from freezing over, which results in yuge late winter/early spring snow falls.

But other places in NY get even more snow:

https://buffalonews.com/2018/02/09/an-u ... -for-snow/