Environment and Weather | Weird - Pleasant - Dangerous

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Torchwood

Re: Weather: Weird - Pleasant - Dangerous

Post by Torchwood »

Torchwood wrote:A new Ice Age to wreck the Olympics?

Boris Johnson more in his previous incarnation as a humourist than as Mayor of London, and certainly not as climatologist.

It has certainly been totally crap ever since April (we did have summer, it was in March) . Today is typical, temperature a miserable 16 deg C (heating on again this evening) and pouring with rain. Little ice Age apart, it may be all the fault of you Yanks again, the high pressure over the eastern US which provided such a heatwave sent the jet stream up to Greenland, where is bounced back down from the Arctic High, and overshot - it' is way too far south for July, over England, France and northern Germany. Conversely there has been no rain in normally sodden northern Scotland and Norway, although they have has unseasonal cold under sunny skies.

Some signs that the Jet stream may move north by the end of the month, this weather is getting depressing (although still better than 40 degree heat)
Hit 30 degrees (86F) today under cloudless skies. Everyone complaining about the heat. Tourists arriving for the Olympics saying the weathr in England is so much better than they had expected...
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood wrote:
Torchwood wrote:A new Ice Age to wreck the Olympics?

Boris Johnson more in his previous incarnation as a humourist than as Mayor of London, and certainly not as climatologist.

It has certainly been totally crap ever since April (we did have summer, it was in March) . Today is typical, temperature a miserable 16 deg C (heating on again this evening) and pouring with rain. Little ice Age apart, it may be all the fault of you Yanks again, the high pressure over the eastern US which provided such a heatwave sent the jet stream up to Greenland, where is bounced back down from the Arctic High, and overshot - it' is way too far south for July, over England, France and northern Germany. Conversely there has been no rain in normally sodden northern Scotland and Norway, although they have has unseasonal cold under sunny skies.

Some signs that the Jet stream may move north by the end of the month, this weather is getting depressing (although still better than 40 degree heat)
Hit 30 degrees (86F) today under cloudless skies. Everyone complaining about the heat. Tourists arriving for the Olympics saying the weathr in England is so much better than they had expected...
Here's wishing London lovely weather for the opening ceremony and the rest of the event.

Looking forward to viewing the Games.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Enki

Post by Enki »

There was a string of thunderclouds that stretched from Southwest Texas to New York City the other day.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

One heck of a storm heading home the other day. Picture taken on I-65 heading south. Just south of Lafayette Indiana.
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brings back memories of the storms I used to see rolling in across the prairie when I lived in the Midwest.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A rare and amazing yet very tragic image:

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

A rare "Grand Passage" of waterfowl is occurring right now in the central states. Pull up Doppler radar and look on the west side of the front. An amazing scenario. I bet the air traffic controllers are having a really bad night!
Been busy doing stuff
noddy

Post by noddy »

brisbane copped a beauty yesterday - hail the size of tennis balls and some funky water spouts

Za46Rmc5hxI
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:brisbane copped a beauty yesterday - hail the size of tennis balls and some funky water spouts

Za46Rmc5hxI
Wow.
noddy

Post by noddy »

australia has been so hot our weather mob had to come up with a new colour for the chart - purple.

the national temperature averaged over 40c for the entire country... quite steeenky.

for the merkins the purple is 129.2F and the average is about 105F
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A rare big snow in Tokyo.

Monday was Coming of Age Day national holiday.

For once, those furs on the kimonos made sense.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

From Tom Skilling's facebook page.

Lake effect snow
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

-dvEmroCHXs
planctom

Post by planctom »

Coldweather coming, enki, do you have enogh blankets for tonight?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

planctom wrote:Coldweather coming, enki, do you have enogh blankets for tonight?
-Ci_slmRFEc
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

?
Been busy doing stuff
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

hoTj-1ObOZY
Been busy doing stuff
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

[Recent?] hail in Mississippi, USA.

YMix

Post by YMix »

... sh!t.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:... sh!t.
Hardhat weather . . .

Or suit of armor weather . . .
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Typhoon wrote:
YMix wrote:... sh!t.
Hardhat weather . . .

Or suit of armor weather . . .
or everything in America is BIGGER than elsewhere
Enki

Post by Enki »

In the spirit of a 2 mile diameter tornado ravaging Oklahoma. I bring you:

Fire Tornado in Australia

Everything may be bigger in America, but it's pound for pound more deadly in Australia.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »