NHS: frightening efficiency

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
manolo

NHS: frightening efficiency

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Seven days ago my NHS dentist noticed a small lump under my tongue. She said she would refer me to a dental hospital. Being a little concerned by her worry I phoned my NHS GP next morning at 8.30am and she saw me at 9am.

My GP was also concerned and promised an immediate referral to a consultant surgeon. At 3pm the same afternoon I received a call from the secretary of a consultant at a nearby teaching hospital. She arranged an appointment which was confirmed in writing the next morning.

I saw the consultant within 48 hrs. He examined me and recommended a biopsy. I received that appointment confirmation in the post next day and will be having the biopsy at 3pm on Tuesday. I also have a further appointment 7 days later for the results with the professor of oral surgery.

Now, I would be very surprised if a critic of state health systems could fault the efficiency of the NHS in my case. However, on the principle of triage I am a little concerned that my symptoms may be quite serious.

Anyone disagree on either or both points?

Alex.
Simple Minded

Re: NHS: frightening efficiency

Post by Simple Minded »

Alex,

Glad to hear the NHS worked for you. With big systems and large populations, hearing about conflicting personal experiences is common.

Always get a second or third opinion and multiple tests if possible. False positives and bad diagnosis are always possible.

Most of the people I know in the medical field will tell you, medicine is as much art as science due to unlimited variables.

good luck!!
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:
Most of the people I know in the medical field will tell you, medicine is as much art as science due to unlimited variables.

good luck!!
Thanks for the support SM. You're right about the variables. My Gps are always telling me about statistics for this and that lifestyle choice, usually using computer models. What I do know is that we all die of something. IMHO the most dangerous lifestyle choice is getting old!

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

good luck!!
Thanks for the support SM. You're right about the variables. My Gps are always telling me about statistics for this and that lifestyle choice, usually using computer models. What I do know is that we all die of something. IMHO the most dangerous lifestyle choice is getting old!

Alex.
As I see it, above ground, is pretty good. But I am often told I am wrong. You might enjoy the Carlos Castaneda series of books. His mentor had some sound advice on perspectives.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: As I see it, above ground, is pretty good. But I am often told I am wrong. You might enjoy the Carlos Castaneda series of books. His mentor had some sound advice on perspectives.
SM,

I enjoyed Castaneda many moons ago and may well look again. These days my muses on mortality are mostly Albert Camus and Woody Allen. I think Woody said: "I don't mind dying; I just don't want to be there at the time."

Alex.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Bump.

It's not cancer; it's 'lichens planus'. Feeling relieved but shaken. Also another painful condition to add to the list. :(

Still here though. :)

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

manolo wrote:Bump.

It's not cancer; it's 'lichens planus'. Feeling relieved but shaken. Also another painful condition to add to the list. :(

Alex.
I had to look that one up. Looks like it might become pretty unpleasant, but better than cancer.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

manolo wrote:Bump.

Alex.
Glad to hear that it is not cancer.

Someone I know had lichen planus as a reaction to a specific beta-blocker drug. I don't think that there are more than 10 such documented cases worldwide.

On the bright side, it is not scleroderma or the very rare scleromyxedema.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.