Tattoo thought experiment

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
manolo

Tattoo thought experiment

Post by manolo »

Folks,

If you had to have just one tattoo somewhere on your body, what would it be and where?

I’ve thought about this and I think it would be my national insurance number on my upper arm. The reason is that tattoos are ephemeral, but my national insurance number is permanently connected to me all my life, from the cradle to the grave.

Why not cement the marriage, so to speak?

What’s yours?

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Tattoo thought experiment

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

A bracelet in some kind of intricate geometric design involving crosses.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:A bracelet in some kind of intricate geometric design involving crosses.
Nonc,

Celtic crosses look good.

http://www.tattoojohnny.com/search/celtic%20cross

I have a friend with a very cool Celtic cross design on his arm. Unfortunately above it he has a terrible messy tattoo done when he was drunk. The juxtaposition of these on the same arm is most disconcerting.

Alex.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Laser Guns vs Mark of the Beast Loyalty Tattoos & RFID Chips

Post by monster_gardener »

manolo wrote:Folks,

If you had to have just one tattoo somewhere on your body, what would it be and where?

I’ve thought about this and I think it would be my national insurance number on my upper arm. The reason is that tattoos are ephemeral, but my national insurance number is permanently connected to me all my life, from the cradle to the grave.

Why not cement the marriage, so to speak?

What’s yours?

Alex.

Thank You Very MUCH for your post, Alex Manolo....

The reason is that tattoos are ephemeral,

Ephemeral??? :?

Not so! :roll:

These days usually you need a laser gun to remove tattoos..... Used to be worse :shock:

Tattoo removal has been performed with various tools during the history of tattooing. While tattoos were once considered permanent, it is now possible to remove them with treatments, fully or partially.

Before the development of laser tattoo removal methods, commons techniques included dermabrasion, TCA (Trichloroacetic acid, an acid that removes the top layers of skin, reaching as deep as the layer in which the tattoo ink resides), salabrasion (scrubbing the skin with salt), cryosurgery and excision which is sometimes still used along with skin grafts for larger tattoos. Some early forms of tattoo removal included the injection or application of wine, lime, garlic or pigeon excrement. Tattoo removal by laser was performed with continuous-wave lasers initially, and later with Q-switched lasers, which became commercially available in the early 1990s. Today, "laser tattoo removal" usually refers to the non-invasive removal of tattoo pigments using Q-switched lasers. Typically, black and darker-colored inks can be removed more completely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_removal

but my national insurance number is permanently connected to me all my life, from the cradle to the grave.
Be careful of what you wish for, Alex. :twisted:

Something Beastly may happen ;) :twisted: :shock: :roll:
16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17 and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or[f] the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... rsion=NKJV

Revelation 14:11 (New King James Version)

Would not be surprised if such marking becomes mandatory or close to it...... Sort of like a Loyalty card! :twisted: :roll:

Also IMHO likely to be by RFID in addition to tattoo..........

That number may Mark you beyond the grave....... :twisted: :roll:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... rsion=NKJV

And FWIW even Enfant Terrible Outlaw Bible Scholar Black Bart Simpson ;) Erhmann believes Revelations/ Apocalypsis not to be a forgery....
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Don't know what to recommend unless you want to go "all in" with irezumi:

http://s24.postimg.org/rk2vj3e1x/irezumi_13.jpg

Would recommend against a tattoo consisting of Japanese or Chinese characters unless you know a cunning linguist.

Apparently lots of people walking around in the West thinking their tattoo says "Brave Heart" or "No Fear" when it really says "Fried Rice" or "Yellow Chicken":

http://hanzismatter.blogspot.ca
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Re: Laser Guns vs Mark of the Beast Loyalty Tattoos & RFID C

Post by manolo »

monster_gardener wrote:
Ephemeral??? :?

Not so! :roll:

These days usually you need a laser gun to remove tattoos..... Used to be worse :shock:
Monster,

I was thinking of the subject of the tattoo being ephemeral, like an ex girlfriend or an out of fashion rock band.

Here is a bad one:

http://www.epicfail.com/2011/03/15/tattoo-fail-23/

Alex.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Alex.
That is a little too close to a concentration camp number for my taste....

No tattoos, thanks, anywhere. Vulgar as well as painful
manolo

Post by manolo »

Torchwood wrote:
Torchwood,

That's what my wife said. :)

Alex.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

I would still love to get Lemmy as Jesus on my left shoulder.
Been busy doing stuff
Enki

Post by Enki »

Nothing, if I wanted one, I'd have one.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

A torso sized and placed battle axe. I'm open to GOP tattoos for real, but can't think of anything epic yet.
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Torchwood wrote:

Alex.

No tattoos, thanks, anywhere. Vulgar as well as painful
I was thinking 666. I always assumed that would be against people's will but now I can see people willingly lining up.

Ironically, it looks like national insurance programs will be putting people in the grave.
Censorship isn't necessary
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Mr. Perfect wrote:A torso sized and placed battle axe. I'm open to GOP tattoos for real, but can't think of anything epic yet.

Rampaging elephant, with a bloody and bashed donkey in its trunk, riding a gilded war chariot festooned with dollar signs, pulled by a legion of foaming, barding-clad lobbyists. Preferably dual-wielding AR15s.

Nothing, if I wanted one, I'd have one.

Same here.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I'm surprised at how many members refuse to play Manolo's little game. It's been a staple party question of mine for a long time. Even kids and old folks play along but somehow here grown, anonymous people have a problem with it.

Anyway, it's a good conversation starter in real life.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Well, if it's like that...

I was going at one point to get a rat hiding behind a bullet-riddled taijitsu, holding an Ed Brown 1911. Or a triskele of a black bear, bull and rat.

Lately, I've been thinking of getting an X----------------X about four inches long, just to the left of my breastbone and over the gap between the second and third rib. But probably won't. I may be in this body a long time, no use marking it all up in it's first century.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NH talked me into it.

I'd go with a forehead tattoo that was either like the gravestone: "What the Hell are you lookin at?"

or the old t-shirt: "This tattoo contains no socially significant message!"
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I'm surprised at how many members refuse to play Manolo's little game. It's been a staple party question of mine for a long time. Even kids and old folks play along but somehow here grown, anonymous people have a problem with it.

Anyway, it's a good conversation starter in real life.
Nonc,

Too true. I was having the same with a young girl in the hairdressers yesterday. I found it arousing to have my head shaved by this lovely while she told me the secret places of her tattoos. :D She has two small red roses, on on her lower back and one.......

Alex.