What vehicles have you owned?

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
manolo

What vehicles have you owned?

Post by manolo »

Folks,

I've just been making a loong list of cars and bikes that I've owned over the years. I would really like to know what kind of stuff others have owned, just for curiosity.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine. :)

Alex.
Doc

Re: What vehicles have you owned?

Post by Doc »

manolo wrote:Folks,

I've just been making a loong list of cars and bikes that I've owned over the years. I would really like to know what kind of stuff others have owned, just for curiosity.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine. :)

Alex.
Of interest. A Datsun roadster, Mazda RX4 with rotary engine. A 1972 cutlas supreme with a 350 rocket engine (It was fast) Many motorcycles including a triumph trailblazer and several Honda's. All owned when I was young. I sold the Datsun for $200 dollars to a friend who sold it to another friend who sold it For $8,000 two year later :(

And yours?
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

My first was the best. Dodge Coronet 440 4 door sedan in an ugly olive. It used to beat everybody in street races from one Steak 'n Shake to the other because it was fast and stealthy. Cops never gave it a second look until I sold it to my brother -in-law and he painted bloodshot eyeballs on the hood.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The only memorable car I've owned was a tuned rotary engine Mazda RX7 2nd Generation.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

This is mine; it's a bit of a muddle. Often there were several vehicles at the same time.

Cars I’ve owned (date order)

Ford Consul Classic, Hillman Imp, Austin Mini, Sunbeam Alpine, Triumph Spitfire, Triumph Vitesse Mk11, Renault 4, Hillman Minx, Reliant Robin, MGB Roadster, Ford Anglia, Dutton Phaeton, Ford Popular, VW Beetle, VW Variant, Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1, Fiat Miriafori 131 estate, Vauxhall Cavalier Mk11, Peugeot 405 estate, Morris 1100, Saab 99, Austin Devon, Austin 10, Morris Eight, MGB GT, TVR Taimar, Saab 900 NG HOT Turbo, Citroen ZX, Renault Clio, Peugeot 206, Alfa Romeo 147 TS Lusso.

Bikes I’ve owned (date order)

Cyclemaster, Suzuki 80 K11 sport, Suzuki T10, Thompson Suzuki T20, Honda CB72 supersport, Matchless G3, Triumph Tiger 100 (sprung hub) BSA M21, Vespa 90, BSA C11, Royal Enfield 350 (side valve), Kawasaki GPZ 550, Suzuki GSXR 750, Kawasaki ZX10R, Yamaha R1.

Alex.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:My first was the best. Dodge Coronet 440 4 door sedan in an ugly olive. It used to beat everybody in street races from one Steak 'n Shake to the other because it was fast and stealthy. Cops never gave it a second look until I sold it to my brother -in-law and he painted bloodshot eyeballs on the hood.
Nonc,

Nice. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Lane_Blacktop

Alex.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

This is the first car I ever owned. Probably the ugliest thing ever built...

And this is the car in which I learned to drive! The one I used had completely flat springs and I had to hold the gear lever while driving in order to stop it from falling back into neutral. And it had no brakes worth mentioning!... Lots of fun to drive through the bush roads in Angola...Completely indestructible...

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

manolo wrote:Folks,

This is mine; it's a bit of a muddle. Often there were several vehicles at the same time.

Cars I’ve owned (date order)

Ford Consul Classic, Hillman Imp, Austin Mini, Sunbeam Alpine, Triumph Spitfire, Triumph Vitesse Mk11, Renault 4, Hillman Minx, Reliant Robin, MGB Roadster, Ford Anglia, Dutton Phaeton, Ford Popular, VW Beetle, VW Variant, Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1, Fiat Miriafori 131 estate, Vauxhall Cavalier Mk11, Peugeot 405 estate, Morris 1100, Saab 99, Austin Devon, Austin 10, Morris Eight, MGB GT, TVR Taimar, Saab 900 NG HOT Turbo, Citroen ZX, Renault Clio, Peugeot 206, Alfa Romeo 147 TS Lusso.

Bikes I’ve owned (date order)

Cyclemaster, Suzuki 80 K11 sport, Suzuki T10, Thompson Suzuki T20, Honda CB72 supersport, Matchless G3, Triumph Tiger 100 (sprung hub) BSA M21, Vespa 90, BSA C11, Royal Enfield 350 (side valve), Kawasaki GPZ 550, Suzuki GSXR 750, Kawasaki ZX10R, Yamaha R1.

Alex.
A friend of mine used to drive a Triumph Dolomite Sprint. She and her girlfriends would have a lot of fun beating the tuned cars at the lights.

I used to kid her that it was a three-seater as one of the seats was reserved for the mechanic.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Typhoon wrote:
A friend of mine used to drive a Triumph Dolomite Sprint. She and her girlfriends would have a lot of fun beating the tuned cars at the lights.

I used to kid her that it was a three-seater as one of the seats was reserved for the mechanic.
Typhoon,

We used to call those the 'dolly' sprint. A tuned 2 litre I think, in line 4, front wheel drive with transverse engine.

My Vitesse was a straight six, with twin Stromberg carbs. My party trick was to spin the rear wheels in first, second and third! I've not had another car that would do that. Not so much the sheer power, but a front heavy car light at the back. Great fun and dangerous on bends. :)

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CDAQ9QEwAQ

Alex.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Once owned one of these . . wish I still had it . .
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (3.37 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
. . 1947 Mercury Woodie . .

. . California . . 1959 . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
noddy

Post by noddy »

the only car ive ever bought thats more than 1 grand is my latest one which is a butt ugly commerical white toyota pickup, it was a complete indulgence at 5 grand.

all the others were disposable second hand bombs that sometimes lasted a year but usually not even that and the costs where on par for 1 months debt payment on a new one so the bang for the buck is awesome provided you dont mind random adventures being broken down in the a*hole of nowhere from time to time.

as such, ive completely lost track of most of them but the old english ford capri (mk 1?) springs to mind as a cracking good bit o fun because it handled like a go kart and had a worked over engine with extractors, strombergs and a lumpy cam.

shame it was even more a cop magnet than my usual fair and didnt last that long before it was taken off the road.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

noddy wrote: as such, ive completely lost track of most of them but the old english ford capri (mk 1?) springs to mind as a cracking good bit o fun because it handled like a go kart and had a worked over engine with extractors, strombergs and a lumpy cam
noddy,

I love it when people talk dirty!

Took the new (to me) Alfa out today. It has a 2 litre twin spark motor with variable valve timing and a stainless race exhaust. Comes on power at 4000rpm and pulls straight through to 8000rpm. The sweet spot is hitting 4000rpm in third. Steering is very light so great fun in the bends and twitchy. Don't need to boot it, the power is there with small throttle openings and the fuel gauge stays up even after a session.

It feels a bit like a bike, thank goodness, as I am bike grounded at the moment.

Alex.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

My first car was a 76 Pontiac Formula Trans Am. It was a basket case bought with a blown engine. I learned more about applied mechanics taking that piece of crap apart every few weeks than I ever learned at Purdue. Water pump, timing chain, cam, lifters, push rods, busted clutch fan, leaking radiator, glass packs for mufflers (don't ever take the heat riser off of a GM vehicle EVAH). Followed that up with a Datsun B210 that I guy gave me before he shipped out to Italy for $35 dollars. I drove that thing to death and sold it to an alcoholic who wrecked it a few months after I sold it to him. Dodge 400 convertible that was a blast to cruise around in on a budget. Chevy Corsica which was a really reliable car. My Subaru Outback which was impossible to destroy and hauled all of my fishing gear and golf clubs for years and went anywhere you pointed it to fish. Then my Lincoln Town Car which I have owned for 15 years and is starting to lose it's paint (parking in between a power plant and a steel mill across the street from a Dow chemical plant for a number of years will have that effect on them).
Been busy doing stuff
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hoosiernorm wrote:My first car was a 76 Pontiac Formula Trans Am. It was a basket case bought with a blown engine. I learned more about applied mechanics taking that piece of crap apart every few weeks than I ever learned at Purdue. Water pump, timing chain, cam, lifters, push rods, busted clutch fan, leaking radiator, glass packs for mufflers (don't ever take the heat riser off of a GM vehicle EVAH). Followed that up with a Datsun B210 that I guy gave me before he shipped out to Italy for $35 dollars. I drove that thing to death and sold it to an alcoholic who wrecked it a few months after I sold it to him. Dodge 400 convertible that was a blast to cruise around in on a budget. Chevy Corsica which was a really reliable car. My Subaru Outback which was impossible to destroy and hauled all of my fishing gear and golf clubs for years and went anywhere you pointed it to fish. Then my Lincoln Town Car which I have owned for 15 years and is starting to lose it's paint (parking in between a power plant and a steel mill across the street from a Dow chemical plant for a number of years will have that effect on them).

Gee Hoos Imagine if you had Obamacar. It would cover pre-exisiting conditions and everything. Of course being a trans am it would probably be tax something like a Cadillac would be and the rates would be high with a high deductible that would raise everyone's rates by a small fortune But lucky you !! :P
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

I've only driven Subarus. I purchased another car that I haven't gotten to around fixing/registering/using 'cause I'm a bit worried about going from something with all wheel drives and anti-lock brakes to rear-wheel in New England winters. I'm contemplating whether I should just get whatever I can get for the broken down car and find myself another Subaru.
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

1982 Honda Accord (manual transmission)
1999 Honda Civic (manual)
1998 Hyundai Elantra (automatic)
2000 Mazda 626 (automatic)
a whole slew of bicycles
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Marcus wrote:Once owned one of these . . wish I still had it . .
Unknown.jpeg
. . 1947 Mercury Woodie . .

. . California . . 1959 . .
Beautiful car

Great for hauling surfboards to the beach :D

MaXOHCNgYrc

and other things, too
cultivate a white rose
manolo

Post by manolo »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

She Still Owns the First Mustang Ever Sold

HP,

That's a nice motor and the lady owner is in pretty good shape too. :)

Alex.
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

First car was a Datsun B210 that I seized the motor up on a six mile trip. It slung so much oil that you didn't do oil changes, you just added more, and I forgot to do that one time. It had Fred Flinstone floor pans- you could see the road underneath your feet.

Some time after that, I had a '63 Ford pickup with the immortal 300 straight six, and air shocks on the back. It was the air shocks that were my undoing. As I was cutting through a national forest with a whole cab full of guns ( highly illegal, coming back from a public range, but they would have presupposed I was poaching) and hit washboard on the sand road.The speedometer was more of a voodoo item than an actual measure of velocity, so I'm sure I was going rather faster than the indicated 30 mph. When I hit the washboard, the air suspension, pumped up for pavement, began to " float", and the back end came around. When it went to soft sand, I was already completely sideways to my original direction of travel, and the thing rolled. I was almost pistol whipped to death by my own truck. When the dust cleared, the Ford was upside down, I miraculously stayed contained ( note NOT seated) within the cab, which had been crushed such that there was a foot less head room, and I found myself wondering what excuse I'd give Game and Fish for having seven firearms in my possession, in a restricted hunting ground.

Fortunately, four drunks in a Toyota pickup truck were able to help me right the vehicle with a snatch strap, whereupon the bulletproof 300 fired up ( after being oil pan-up for a half hour), belched smoke, and I drove it the 20 miles back home, hunched over and with sunglasses on to keep the shards of the shattered windshield from penetrating my eyeballs at speed. Last I saw, the roof had been chopped professionally and the truck had become a monster low rider. May still be running.

The most infamous of my early vehicles was a 79 Ford Mustang, Fox body with a 302. It was an LX, so none of those fancy plastic skirts and geegaws, very light, and the motor had all the strangling, late-70s emissions gear stripped from it. It was a legitimately quick car, and ran, as one old timer put it, " like a turpentined cat". This was the car I raced against County guys with police 350s in their Caprices, back when they were smaller and carbeurated, and they could gain nothing. Had a place around the shift console that I could conceal a pistol in, yet still get to it in a flash. Also, a radio so loud that it could be heard from the boardwalk when I parked down at the Texan on Daytona Beach. I'd love to tell you that the ladies loved it, but I actually remember those days, and no such thing was even close to the truth.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Demon,

Your post is an excellent read, bringing back many teenage memories of my own. One was the initiation into a motorbike gang.

The candidate had to lay on the bonnet of an old Ford Zephyr, holding on to the windscreen wipers and looking in through the windscreen. The driver then gunned the car on a long straight and reported back on how he handled the experience. I was good. :)

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The candidate had to lay on the bonnet of an old Ford Zephyr, holding on to the windscreen wipers and looking in through the windscreen. The driver then gunned the car on a long straight and reported back on how he handled the experience.
So you understand how it feels to apply for Obamacare ;)
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Just bought a new bike. A low mile minter: gsxr 600k2. Should be a nice addition to the stable. :)

Roll on summer.

Alex.