How to cook rice Persian style

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Heracleum Persicum

How to cook rice Persian style

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Due to popular demand, here how Pomegranates cook rise

There are many clips in YouTube showing how to cook Persian rice, here a good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-RtP-JiFE

Below how my wife cooks Persian rice (pls watch first the above clip, makes things more clear)

- Rice must be BASMATI, otherwise don't bother
- for each 2 adults, one cup of rice is plenty

- wash the rice with luke warm water - reason is, to wash off the starch, but also to clean "Indian" rice
- soak the rice in water (add lots of salt, say 2 table spoon), leave it for an hour - this makes the rice much better taste

- drain the water

- in a big pot, boil water (say 2 liter water for a cup of rice)
- when water comes to boil, add the rice

- leave the rice boil in the water for 6-8 minutes .. until (check it) the rice is "al dante"

- When the rice is "al dante", drain the water, (use a colander, strainer)

- take the same pot you used boiling the water (now empty) .. at bottom of the pot, add 2 table spoon of vegetable oil and 2 table spoon of water,

- add the rice, make with handle of spoon a few holes in the rice so that the steam can escape

- on top of rise, pour 50 gram of melted butter over the rice (gives a better aroma and flavor to the rice)

- cover the lid with a clean "tea towel" (or paper towel) and cover the pot (it prevents the steam to escape)

- put it on "low to medium" heat on the stove .. for 30 minutes

- if you want crust .. called "Ta-Dig" - meaning bottom of the pot .. you leave 45-50 minutes .. the longer you leave the thicker the crust will become

Bonus :

There are other options for "Tah-Dig" .. crust .. bottom of Pot

- you can put slices of potato (rho potato), each 3 milometer thick, in the bottom of pot and then add the rice

- you can put pita bread on bottom of the pot

or

my preference, but quite tricky :

- mix a cup of Greek yogurt with one egg yoke and pinch of Safran, add to the "bottom of the pot" (don't forget the vegitable oil, but no need of 2 spoon of water in this case) and pour the rice on top of it .. in this case heat must be on "LOW" , for an hour or less .. a bit tricky as things can burn easily (check, smell, all fine and nothing burning)

FYI .. white rice is called CHELLO , mixed rice (with vegetable, meat) called POLO

Hoosiernorm

Re: How to cook Rice Persian style

Post by Hoosiernorm »

Been busy doing stuff
Heracleum Persicum

Hoosiernorm wrote:Image

Hoosie, seems you had no Iranian friends who would invite you for Iranian food to their house their mom cooking Iranian rice

Probably raised on "hot dogs" :lol:

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Seriously funny, Hoosiernorm.

I will try the soaking of basmati. I do other rices fine, but basmati always seems too dry.

I must say that this Persian rice is the most complicated method I have ever heard of.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

Due to popular demand, here how Pomegranates cook rise

There are many clips in YouTube showing how to cook Persian rice, here a good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD-RtP-JiFE

Below how my wife cooks Persian rice (pls watch first the above clip, makes things more clear)

- Rice must be BASMATI, otherwise don't bother
- for each 2 adults, one cup of rice is plenty

- wash the rice with luke warm water - reason is, to wash off the starch, but also to clean "Indian" rice
- soak the rice in water (add lots of salt, say 2 table spoon), leave it for an hour - this makes the rice much better taste

- drain the water

- in a big pot, boil water (say 2 liter water for a cup of rice)
- when water comes to boil, add the rice

- leave the rice boil in the water for 6-8 minutes .. until (check it) the rice is "al dante"

- When the rice is "al dante", drain the water, (use a colander, strainer)

- take the same pot you used boiling the water (now empty) .. at bottom of the pot, add 2 table spoon of vegetable oil and 2 table spoon of water,

- add the rice, make with handle of spoon a few holes in the rice so that the steam can escape

- on top of rise, pour 50 gram of melted butter over the rice (gives a better aroma and flavor to the rice)

- cover the lid with a clean "tea towel" (or paper towel) and cover the pot (it prevents the steam to escape)

- put it on "low to medium" heat on the stove .. for 30 minutes

- if you want crust .. called "Ta-Dig" - meaning bottom of the pot .. you leave 45-50 minutes .. the longer you leave the thicker the crust will become

Bonus :

There are other options for "Tah-Dig" .. crust .. bottom of Pot

- you can put slices of potato (rho potato), each 3 milometer thick, in the bottom of pot and then add the rice

- you can put pita bread on bottom of the pot

or

my preference, but quite tricky :

- mix a cup of Greek yogurt with one egg yoke and pinch of Safran, add to the "bottom of the pot" (don't forget the vegitable oil, but no need of 2 spoon of water in this case) and pour the rice on top of it .. in this case heat must be on "LOW" , for an hour or less .. a bit tricky as things can burn easily (check, smell, all fine and nothing burning)

FYI .. white rice is called CHELLO , mixed rice (with vegetable, meat) called POLO

Much thanks Az. Everyone else this is great rice.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

DOC, once you comfortable making Iranian style rice, white rice

next step is, to make Iranian Mixed-Rice

Iranians make many many sort of mixed-rice, I know of 15+ sort

First you start same as making plain white rice .. but .. when you want to let rice cook with steam for 30 minutes, at that stage, you mix the rice with (prepared, partially cooked) different vegetable (or mix of vegetable) and (sometimes) (pre-cooked) meat (all kind, chicken, bean, lam, etc etc)

These are called POLO (mixed rice) .. they are very very tasty .. I personally have many favorites of those rice, Baghali Polo (Broad beans), Zereshk Polo (Barberry), tah Chin (chicken and rice), Lubia Polo (Green beans & meat), Sabzi Polo (mixed of fresh hearbs) (Iranians eat fish with Sabzi Polo .. my favorite), kalam polo (cabbage), shirin polo (sweet, mix of orange peal marmalade, carrot marmalade, nuts, pistachio, safran) this always on weddings, Addass polo (lentil, dates), sour cherry rice (very nice), etc etc

EUInSNHH_iw

7f18Tuxyk3o
CDyfKu-vDRI