Internet thieves warning

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
manolo

Internet thieves warning

Post by manolo »

Folks,

I guess we are all tech savvy on here, but this might be worth a mention. In the last week I have had two emails, each one purporting to be from banks that I use and asking me to log on because of password problems with my account. Both were fraudulent.

We should never reply to an email like this or click on any link included. Maybe we shouldn't even look at them, although I do get genuine emails on my banking and investments from time to time.

I was surprised that two of my accounts (different banks) were targeted in the same week, which might be coincidence or not?

Anyway, it's something to think about.

Alex.
noddy

Re: Internet thieves warning

Post by noddy »

that is odd, i also got emailed your bank account details.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

manolo wrote:Folks,

I guess we are all tech savvy on here, but this might be worth a mention. In the last week I have had two emails, each one purporting to be from banks that I use and asking me to log on because of password problems with my account. Both were fraudulent.

We should never reply to an email like this or click on any link included. Maybe we shouldn't even look at them, although I do get genuine emails on my banking and investments from time to time.

I was surprised that two of my accounts (different banks) were targeted in the same week, which might be coincidence or not?

Alex.
Aside from the odd fact that I, like noddy, was also mailed your bank account details,

a good rule of thumb is to never download any attachment or click any link in a e-mail that one is not expecting, even if from a friend and/or colleague.

If your two banks are major ones in Britain, then it could simply be coincidence with hackers using mass e-mailings spoofing both.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

I didn't get anybody's bank account details. Am I doing something wrong?
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

its the 'h4x0rs ste34L j00r m3g4 hurtz' option in the client profile.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I keep getting crooks calling me to fix help me remove hackers from my Windows. All I need to do is follow their directions and type something into my browser.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:I keep getting crooks calling me to fix help me remove hackers from my Windows. All I need to do is follow their directions and type something into my browser.
Nonc,

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Alex.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

manolo wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:I keep getting crooks calling me to fix help me remove hackers from my Windows. All I need to do is follow their directions and type something into my browser.
Nonc,

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Alex.
If I have time I tie them up acting like an durian until they hang up. I always say my anti-virus says to reboot. That makes them hold for five minutes, then I do it again.

Sometimes I put on a horrifically racist Chinese accent and pretend to be Wong Fu. They don't want talk to Wong Fu, they can talk to King. King here too.

When I get bored with the game I ask them if they no want talk to King or Wong Fu, why they call Wong Fu King number?

Once I just chattered on in pure gibberish. My wife loved that one. Almost peed her pants.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Alex.
Yes odd indeed I got an email from one of your relatives asking me to help them move your fortune from Nigeria to the US. I never realized you were once finance minister of Serra Leone Alex. :P

But seriously I get fraudulent emails every day. Many of them, in mass, result in thousands or hundred of thousands of dollars in losses to the victims. Some of the cons are getting very complicated and ever harder to sort out. One word of warning to all Do not use social media for your work that lists your company and position. Also your company should not have a public accessible directory of employees. At least not one online.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
manolo

Post by manolo »

Doc wrote: One word of warning to all Do not use social media for your work that lists your company and position.
Doc,

This is exactly right. You know, if the anonymity was lost to social media I think the whole project would come crashing down.

Alex.