The death of a pet animal

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
manolo

The death of a pet animal

Post by manolo »

Our hamster has died

His name is Felix. He lived a long time, was always friendly and peaceful to be around. Two days ago he was taking pieces of carrot from my hand, then he seemed muddled and then today my wife found him in one of his his tubes, dead.

There are so many things to say about Felix. There was the way he reacted to us, always coming out of his nest at the sound of my voice. There was the way he was gentle with our fingers, and once when he escaped he decided to come back again. OK, I know about anthropomorphism, and I also know that Felix made his choices. I liked his individualism and his attention to detail, so much like me. In the moment of his big adventure, he chose safety and what he knew. Maybe I would do the same.

He is in the kitchen, in a little box with his name on it. He will be missed.

What are your experiences with the life and death of a pet animal?

xx
Simple Minded

Re: The death of a pet animal

Post by Simple Minded »

Sorry to hear that Alex. They do become members of one's family. Their deaths are just as upsetting as human deaths for many people.

Never give your wife the choice of choosing between you and one of "her" pets. The pets need nurturing more than an adult, and you won't be able to compete with the resulting chemical fix in her brain. ;)

Since we have been married (almost 30 years), we have had 5 dogs and 7 cats. Due to her parents OCD with cleanliness, my wife was never allowed to have a pet as a child. It is her passion.

"Our" first cat lived over 20 years. What a character.

According to Patty, 2 dogs and 2 cats who passed away have reincarnated and came back to us. 3 of them are still with us in their second lives with us. :o :shock:

Wild stuff, huh? I can't offer any proof, just lots of anecdotes that may lead one to think that life is far stranger than is comfortable to believe for many people.

But hey, that's the beauty of subjectivity. In the long run..... we're all living in Ripley's World of Believe it or Not! :) John Maynard Keynes was a man of little imagination!

Perhaps it is all due to Trump getting elected or AGW.....
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The multiplication of love is a major reason for existence.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

my pup recently had a heart attack and died while i was playing with it, ive only just stopped being sad about it.

amazing creatures, they keep the reality of life in your face and stop you forgetting whats what.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:my pup recently had a heart attack and died while i was playing with it, ive only just stopped being sad about it.

amazing creatures, they keep the reality of life in your face and stop you forgetting whats what.
Indeed. The introduction of a small amount of randomicity is quite refreshing.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:my pup recently had a heart attack and died while i was playing with it, ive only just stopped being sad about it.

Wow! Talk about living life to it's fullest, or dying well (dying with your boots on in Cowboy lingo). I know a couple people who have had the same experience.

How old was the dog, and what was the breed?
noddy

Post by noddy »

he was a huge dog and about 10 years old so thats about as good as it gets for them.

half labrador, half shepard.. very smart,like a big black wolf.
ultracrepidarian
manolo

Post by manolo »

nod,

That's a tough one with your dog. Sorry to hear it.

Your sentiment is wise. Someone elsewhere said that the death of an animal is "a strong reminder of our own impermanence". With short life span animals this is always with us; over the years we have had 7 hamsters, all with different personalities and all remembered.

Felix is now buried on our allotment, and after a respectful period I will mosey down to the pet store. We always have a hamster that has been left behind or returned. They even give us an 'adoption certificate'.

A.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:Sorry to hear that Alex. They do become members of one's family. Their deaths are just as upsetting as human deaths for many people.
Thanks, SM.

A.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Sorry to hear that Alex. They do become members of one's family. Their deaths are just as upsetting as human deaths for many people.
Thanks, SM.

A.
Set up a consult for Patty Summers to talk to your deceased hamster. It will probably be an experience you will never forget! ;)
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

I went to a wake for a chipmunk once.

Very sad. Everybody just sitting around quietly with their cheeks stuffed full of sunflower seeds.

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Feeling good today; have done some research on possible hamsters and there is a little 'returned' fellow in a local store. He is called 'Oreo' for obvious reasons, but I might rename him 'Ollie'. :)

A.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:Folks,

Feeling good today; have done some research on possible hamsters and there is a little 'returned' fellow in a local store. He is called 'Oreo' for obvious reasons, but I might rename him 'Ollie'. :)

A.
Good for you Alex. In some zipcodes over here, left wingers use the derogatory term "Oreo" for brown people who they feel the need to chastise for "acting white."

You could also call him Uncle Tom or.... Obama! ;)
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

manolo wrote:Our hamster has died

His name is Felix. He lived a long time, was always friendly and peaceful to be around. Two days ago he was taking pieces of carrot from my hand, then he seemed muddled and then today my wife found him in one of his his tubes, dead.

There are so many things to say about Felix. There was the way he reacted to us, always coming out of his nest at the sound of my voice. There was the way he was gentle with our fingers, and once when he escaped he decided to come back again. OK, I know about anthropomorphism, and I also know that Felix made his choices. I liked his individualism and his attention to detail, so much like me. In the moment of his big adventure, he chose safety and what he knew. Maybe I would do the same.

He is in the kitchen, in a little box with his name on it. He will be missed.

What are your experiences with the life and death of a pet animal?

xx

Very sorry Alex

Went twice through that experience .. both times with a "Love Bird"

"Georgi" would communicate, became part of the family .. I cried in both case when they died

manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:
manolo wrote:Folks,

A.
Good for you Alex. In some zipcodes over here, left wingers use the derogatory term "Oreo" for brown people who they feel the need to chastise for "acting white."

You could also call him Uncle Tom or.... Obama! ;)
SM,

As it happens I now have an 8month old hamster who looks exactly like Felix. (He already has the name Negan.) Our daughter came around and when I said "Felix has come back to life" she did a double take, almost believed. :)

The interesting thing with hamster 'doubles' is that it brings out just how different the personalities are from each other. I'm guessing we might have a segway to clones coming along?

A.

PS - Also guessing that my new hobby will be not getting political with you. :D It could last for eight years!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
The interesting thing with hamster 'doubles' is that it brings out just how different the personalities are from each other.

A.
Once again, you have highlighted how Brit Liberals are more like American Conservatives. Over here, once the Liberals see your skin color, they assume you're all clones!