How to be an American

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Simple Minded

Re: How to be an American

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
"Yeah, right." would be most annoying indeed. I would interpret it as possible sarcasm.

At the time, I was certain that was how it was intended.

Typhoon wrote:Does any still say "You're welcome"? :wink:
That remains the most common reply in SimpleMindedStan, but then again, "we" are a superior culture. ;)

Keeping our location off any maps, helps immensely! No need for walls! :P

For the life me I can't remember ever saying uh-huh in that context.

Seldom is a you're welcome for that matter. You've got to be familiar with people for one of those, or people will give you the stink eye.

No problem and its variations does sound awfully on the mark.
I think "no problem" is the youngun's hip reply, similar to "it's my job" or "I gotcha covered." Age, region, population density, and profession are all factors.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
"Yeah, right." would be most annoying indeed. I would interpret it as possible sarcasm.

That remains the most common reply in SimpleMindedStan, but then again, "we" are a superior culture. ;)

Seldom is a you're welcome for that matter. You've got to be familiar with people for one of those, or people will give you the stink eye.

"You're welcome" receiving a stink eye? I that case I must have offended a lot of Americans.

Surprised I did not initiate an altercation by using "You're quite welcome." or "You're most welcome."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

I think "no problem" is the youngun's hip reply, similar to "it's my job" or "I gotcha covered." Age, region, population density, and profession are all factors.
What about "No worries." Have heard it used in Canada, as opposed to the full Aussie version, "No worries, mate."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

the australian version of this is "no worries" and the meaning is the same however some tourists then worry they should be worried.

the more common variation in redneck circles is "no wuckers" which is short for "no flicking worries"
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

What about "No worries." Have heard it used in Canada, as opposed to the full Aussie version, "No worries, mate."
aah snap. i think the canadans (*) stole it from us - this has been a strine thing for a long time.

(*) its either canadans or canadia, they cant have it both ways.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

aah snap. i think the canadans (*) stole it from us - this has been a strine thing for a long time.

(*) its either canadans or canadia, they cant have it both ways.
What if there is two of "them?"

never heard "no worries" in the US except from my Brit friends. "Ahhh, don't worry about it" as a bit of a wise-ass remark between friends is more likely. Multiple potential meanings, all determined by inflection and body language. Actual language always take a second seat, and as always, meaning is determined by the receiver regardless of intent.