How to be an American

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Typhoon

Re: How to be an American

Post by Typhoon »

I did better on the Southern saying than the Yanks, thank to having once dated a southern belle. ;)

_____

_e2igZexpMs
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

doing a cracking job of keeping the foreigners away, our newspapers are full to the brim on #strayanlivesmatter.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... inneapolis
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

it just ties into the wider narrative of gun crazy merkins and being shot for no particular reason.

she comes from the upper middle class area of latte sipping luvvies, this stuff just doesnt happen to them.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Well, from my comfy abode practically hugging the Atlantic, we're okay with us Americans being thought of gun crazy loons, and we'll be sure to stay out of ultra-racist Australia All the Times Australia was Enormously Racist This Week! :lol:
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Well, from my comfy abode practically hugging the Atlantic, we're okay with us Americans being thought of gun crazy loons, and we'll be sure to stay out of ultra-racist Australia All the Times Australia was Enormously Racist This Week! :lol:
if you need that to feel better im happy for everyone :)
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Well, from my comfy abode practically hugging the Atlantic, we're okay with us Americans being thought of gun crazy loons, and we'll be sure to stay out of ultra-racist Australia All the Times Australia was Enormously Racist This Week! :lol:
yassmin whatsersname was actually funny - middle class edgelord muslim chicky had a go at ANZAC day, which is pretty much the last remaining sacred symbol for most working class australians, the day they remember their grandfathers being shot in european wars.

she then chucked a sook about being in trouble for it and claimed racism.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
Oh, theres lots of stuff around to be feel better about.
"O, reason not the need: our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous:
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man's life's as cheap as beast's"
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
noddy wrote:
your on fire today, plucking relevant willy quotes out of the ether.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
yassmin whatsersname was actually funny - middle class edgelord muslim chicky had a go at ANZAC day, which is pretty much the last remaining sacred symbol for most working class australians, the day they remember their grandfathers being shot in european wars.

Junkee proclaims itself, "Australia’s smartest and most original pop culture title."

...and that's what it produces.

A pal send me the link to one terrible article, and so I did a quick dive into the rest of the site: article after article of junk.

True to it's name I suppose.

In Trumpian terms, I guess we could say that Austalia is not sending us her best pop cultural connoisseurs.
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:
your on fire today, plucking relevant willy quotes out of the ether.
Come to America; dodge the bullets and billet with the doge!

noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:

Junkee proclaims itself, "Australia’s smartest and most original pop culture title."

A pal send me the link to one terrible article, and so I did a quick dive into the rest of the site: article after article of junk.

In Trumpian terms, I guess we could say that Austalia is not sending us her best pop cultural connoisseurs.
meh, same crowd as salon/huffpo regurgitating the same self flagellating nonsense.

popular in upper middle progressive circles, mostly ignored elsewhere.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:

meh, same crowd as salon/huffpo regurgitating the same self flagellating nonsense.

You're taking this hard. I sympathize.

Here in America, we do indeed have salon&huffington post, which we invented.

So it's, like, 2-0 America. :)

I think its time the whole enterprise calls it quits and goes to live in a gutter.

RIP in peace Australia: 50,000 BC to Current Year.
[cause of death: X-treme organization-isms; heart gave out]
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
noddy

Post by noddy »

noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:

all pale imitations of the original progressive middle class self flagellates, the guardian.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:
noddy wrote:

all pale imitations of the original progressive middle class self flagellates, the guardian.
Truer words have never been spoken. We are but children to that storied broadsheet.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:it just ties into the wider narrative of gun crazy merkins and being shot for no particular reason.

she comes from the upper middle class area of latte sipping luvvies, this stuff just doesnt happen to them.
another news event with a potentially infinite numbers of interpretations, all of which are probably extremely boring compared to the what really happened facts.

Race, sex, religion, nationality....

well, this is America..... 320,000,000+ peeps spread out over a few million square miles....... If you can't find a PC/SJW crusade to rally for or against in Merica, yer just plain apathetic...... and boring!
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Alright, we finally found the fookers responsible for all the myth circulating in Merika!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbOgTc7-JZE 2:45 thru 3:25
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Holy lavender! Here's a Canadian who is so sharp, I thought for sure he musta been a Striner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpoYWROw5BY
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:Holy lavender! Here's a Canadian who is so sharp, I thought for sure he musta been a Striner...

Have to agree with the "Uh-huh".
Was at first taken a bit aback when someone replied in that manner, then I realized it was the local slang.
Never did get used to it.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Holy lavender! Here's a Canadian who is so sharp, I thought for sure he musta been a Striner...

Was at first taken a bit aback when someone replied in that manner, then I realized it was the local slang.
Even though I have never heard anyone reply to "Thank you" in that manner, that is a annoying. Not sure what cities that would apply to.

I have heard "No problem," (somewhat annoying)"sure thing," "you got it," "yeah, right," (most annoying), and among older people "You're welcome I'm sure." Or sometimes just a wink, in those locations where people still make eye contact.

Chic-Filet, and a few other restaurants train their people to day "It's my pleasure." very refreshing.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Even though I have never heard anyone reply to "Thank you" in that manner, that is a annoying. Not sure what cities that would apply to.
Chicagoland, in my experience. Even remember the first time I heard it as a reply.
In a Jewel/Osco supermarket in the far west 'burbs as
my mind was racing trying to figure out what the cashier meant by it.
When I came to understand the vernacular, I found it irritating.
I suppose some things are ingrained.
Simple Minded wrote: I have heard "No problem," (somewhat annoying)"sure thing," "you got it," "yeah, right," (most annoying), and among older people "You're welcome I'm sure." Or sometimes just a wink, in those locations where people still make eye contact.

Chic-Filet, and a few other restaurants train their people to day "It's my pleasure." very refreshing.
"Yeah, right." would be most annoying indeed. I would interpret it as possible sarcasm.

Does anyone still say "You're welcome"? :wink:
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
"Yeah, right." would be most annoying indeed. I would interpret it as possible sarcasm.

At the time, I was certain that was how it was intended.

Typhoon wrote:Does any still say "You're welcome"? :wink:
That remains the most common reply in SimpleMindedStan, but then again, "we" are a superior culture. ;)

Keeping our location off any maps, helps immensely! No need for walls! :P
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

At the time, I was certain that was how it was intended.

Typhoon wrote:Does any still say "You're welcome"? :wink:
That remains the most common reply in SimpleMindedStan, but then again, "we" are a superior culture. ;)

Keeping our location off any maps, helps immensely! No need for walls! :P

For the life me I can't remember ever saying uh-huh in that context.

Seldom is a you're welcome for that matter. You've got to be familiar with people for one of those, or people will give you the stink eye.

No problem and its variations does sound awfully on the mark.