21C Slang

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Nonc Hilaire

21C Slang

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Lezbetians is not so great, but Lezbetania as fictional country where lezbetians live is useful. I have one friend who I am certain is the Queen of Lesbitania in exile.

My favorite new slang terms are 'extra' as an adjective describing people who must always go to extremes (largely replaces and expands upon 'hipster') and 'luxe', an adjective describing people who demand luxuriousness in everything.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Re: 21C Slang

Post by Typhoon »

Took me a while to figure out that "sick" is the 21C version of "cool".
Don't think I could bring myself to use it.

I also first read the thread title as "21 Centigrade Slang" and was momentarily puzzled.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Anybody else remember sniglets?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Anybody else remember sniglets?
Looked it up. After my time in the US.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

"Cuck" has been cuckolded into so many permutations that it doesn't really mean anything.....'>........
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

australia used to have a wonderful collection of oddball slangs due to its mix of irish, scottish and working class english all mixing it up in isolation.

alas, in the modern world the kids have american accents and the slang has mostly gone, except in the older folks, even then its increasingly forced and unnatural.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:australia used to have a wonderful collection of oddball slangs due to its mix of irish, scottish and working class english all mixing it up in isolation.

alas, in the modern world the kids have american accents and the slang has mostly gone, except in the older folks, even then its increasingly forced and unnatural.
Fair dinkum, mate? Not a porky pie?
noddy

Post by noddy »

too right cobber, y'd have to be mad as a cut snake.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

back to merkin slang.

i know im old because "bae" , "lit" ,"fleek" and "swag" make me want to punch people.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:back to merkin slang.

i know im old because "bae" , "lit" ,"fleek" and "swag" make me want to punch people.
I have to agree with this.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:

We all must live in different parts of Merika, cause I have never heard anyone use any of those terms....

My lack of culture sometimes even astounds me.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

"Bae" refers to a turd in Danish.

"Lit" I understood to mean drunk. Apparently the meaning has recently changed.

"Fleek" I have never read or heard. Had to look it up.

"Swag" I understood to be pirate's plunder. Now it refers to urban style. Appropriate.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:"Fleek" I have never read or heard. Had to look it up.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fleek
Fleek
A shitty word made by shitty people with no genuflecting lives.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Bae is already outdated. Lit is aging but is what we used to call "on fire".

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
YMix wrote:

We all must live in different parts of Merika, cause I have never heard anyone use any of those terms....

so you dont hang out with city kids talking about urban fashion ?

thats odd, i would have sworn you were a hipster.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
YMix wrote:

yeah, I get that a lot.

biggest diff between me and the urban hipsters is they wear underwear under their bitch pants and I don't.

they think it's sick, and I think it's groovy!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Looked up this timely slang recently.

Cuffing season
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:

thought about you yesterday mate.

saw a young man walking the trash out to a dumpster wearing bitch pants with his belt about halfway between the bottom of his ass and his knees. lowest low rider I have seen yet. A snail came up behind him, passed him on the left, looked back over his shoulder and yelled "F**k dude! They actually pay you to walk that slow? Maybe I should apply for a job there! Stay outta the fast lane next time!"

I was tempted to ask him why he dressed like that (I always heard it was prison fashion advertising for "I'm looking to be someone's bitch"), but my wife was with me, and she frowns on my behavior when I do such things. talk about oppressed in Merika.....

from the look in the guy's eyes, I would bet big money he was well versed in how oppressive America is and the lack of opportunity. snowflakes is everywhere!

might be time to author that long overdue book Dress fer Regress! or Dress to Un-impress!

or would the tile Dressing fo Oppression! be more hipsterish? it would haft be an ebook, right? ;)
Last edited by Simple Minded on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Alright! it's high time I contributed to the advancement of 21 Celsius culture.

When I'm wearing my bitch pants with no underwear "I am.......... Crackin!" Old dudes would say "I am Groovin!" But they're wrong.

Plumbers say "what the hell are you lookin at?"
noddy

Post by noddy »

heh.

one bit of strayan slang that does still exist is the eloquent "yehnah" and its extended polite form, "yehnah, nahyehnah"

"I do understand the point you are trying to make, however I respectfully reserve the right to disagree"
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:heh.

one bit of strayan slang that does still exist is the eloquent "yehnah" and its extended polite form, "yehnah, nahyehnah"

"I do understand the point you are trying to make, however I respectfully reserve the right to disagree"
the eternal battle between throwing all cultures into a blender in order to create the perfect "we," and appreciating the uniqueness and difference of others. the former is the ideal, the latter seems to be the way of happy people.

demanding that others respect or even recognize your group identity seems to be a sure recipe for unhappiness. dude, no one cares! the infinite level of tolerance!

All the sayings of the old timers used to have me rolling on the floor in the old days. Now they are all un-PC.

really stupid mistake: "You really stepped on your dick that time didn't you?"

very incompetent person: "He couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were written on the sole."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:

thought about you yesterday mate.

saw a young man walking the trash out to a dumpster wearing bitch pants with his belt about halfway between the bottom of his ass and his knees. lowest low rider I have seen yet. A snail came up behind him, passed him on the left, looked back over his shoulder and yelled "F**k dude! They actually pay you to walk that slow? Maybe I should apply for a job there! Stay outta the fast lane next time!"

I was tempted to ask him why he dressed like that (I always heard it was prison fashion advertising for "I'm looking to be someone's bitch"), but my wife was with me, and she frowns on my behavior when I do such things. talk about oppressed in Merika.....

from the look in the guy's eyes, I would bet big money he was well versed in how oppressive America is and the lack of opportunity. snowflakes is everywhere!

. . .
It is a pleasure to know that the OTNOT forum is more hip, to use some dated slang, than the Urban Dictionary which defines 'bitch pants' as pants with buttons down the front instead of a zipper as in they are a bitch to undo.

'Bitch pants' is better suited to describing the 'sagging' style of pants worn below one's behind.

As the origin of the bitch pants style is attributed to prison life, I look forward to other prison garb becoming urban fashion,
such as leg irons.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
It is a pleasure to know that the OTNOT forum is more hip, to use some dated slang, than the Urban Dictionary which defines 'bitch pants' as pant with buttons down the front instead of a zipper as in they are a bitch to undo.

'Bitch pants' is better suited to describing the 'sagging' style of pants worn below one's behind.

As the origin of the bitch pants style is attributed to prison life, I look forward to other prison garb becoming urban fashion,
such as leg irons.
I have no idea what they are called. That is just what I call them. Not a slang phrase, just descriptive terminology.

I hate to say it, but maybe noddy is right, I am a hipster. :( Is it possible for one to be so hip that one does not recognize their own hipness?

If only more aspiring actresses in Hollywood and more underlings in Washington, DC wore bitch pants....
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:heh.

the eternal battle between throwing all cultures into a blender in order to create the perfect "we," and appreciating the uniqueness and difference of others. the former is the ideal, the latter seems to be the way of happy people.

demanding that others respect or even recognize your group identity seems to be a sure recipe for unhappiness. dude, no one cares! the infinite level of tolerance!

All the sayings of the old timers used to have me rolling on the floor in the old days. Now they are all un-PC.

really stupid mistake: "You really stepped on your dick that time didn't you?"

very incompetent person: "He couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were written on the sole."
Had an uncle that used a gem, this one I guess, because the sight lines when backing the tractor out of the shed weren't that good. Anyhow, things were passingly tolerable when "you didn't smell sh1t and you didn't hear glass break"......;).......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:"Cuck" has been cuckolded into so many permutations that it doesn't really mean anything.....'>........
I dunno about that, it's primary use seems to remain...just change the first 'c' to an 'f', and it's there in all it's glory.