User Names

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
cincinnatus

User Names

Post by cincinnatus »

What does your user name/avatar mean?

I chose Cincinnatus back in 2008 at the Spengler site because:

A. I originally logged in as "Chaos Theory" and forgot the password
B. Military background/present, the idea of the "Cincinnatus" archetype as the ideal political savior who then returns to his fields after his term vice playing dictator sounded like my ideal (not that I could do such a thing...).
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
Enki

Re: User Names

Post by Enki »

Enki is a god from Sumerian myth, and from the book 'Snow Crash' symbolizing the nature of the relationship between language and reality and how language and symbolism can shape reality.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mine is nowhere as noble - admirable as Cincinnatus or mythological - intellectual as Enki.

The deprecated "Colonel Sun" was a joke at the Spenglerman board, which obsessed about the ME and US politics, while being hosted by Asia Times.
Colonel Sun being the stereotypical Asian [Chinese] villain in a post-Fleming Bond novel:

So it's not relevant anymore.

"Typhoon" is simply a nickname given to me by friends based on my [alleged] propensity to wreak havoc during a night out on the town.
Or so I'm told, as I blank out any recollection after drinking beyond a certain point . . .
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

hah...... I expected to be able to party. Is that when you are in, or off duty at the plant???2?.........

"lzzrdgrrl" on the speng board because I can fit my entire fist into my mouth, no problem. "Fishtits", for my other exceptional physical attribute, uhm..... rather..... low-profile boobage..... :roll: ......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:hah...... I expected to be able to party. Is that when you are in, or off duty at the plant???2?.........
No drinking until after sunset.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:"lzzrdgrrl" on the speng board because I can fit my entire fist into my mouth, no problem.
"Fishtits", for my other exceptional physical attribute, uhm..... rather..... low-profile boobage..... :roll: ......
The propensity of nature to balance things out . . .

Never understood the [American?] fascination with over sized breasts.
Prefer everything in proportion.

Recall reading a claim, possibly an urban legend, that the artificial breast enhancement industry got it's start in post-war Japan in response to the US military demand for busty women. Apparently at first industrial liquid silicone was injected directly . . .

A few years ago I was in southern China.
Watching late night tv every station was running an infomercial for some type of breast enhancement: push-ups, magic creams, magic pills, and last but not least cosmetic surgery.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

After all this time, I cannot fathom why nobody has guessed the origin of my name.

Quite simply, I am a collision repair technician, amongst other things.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Endovelico was a Lusitanian god, and I used its name for two purposes: to honour my ancestry and to annoy the judeo-christian fundamentalists with a pagan deity.

cincinnatus

Post by cincinnatus »

crashtech wrote:After all this time, I cannot fathom why nobody has guessed the origin of my name.

Quite simply, I am a collision repair technician, amongst other things.

I didn't want to assume...for a while, folks thought I was a Reds fan.
"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."
Enki

Post by Enki »

Endovelico wrote:Endovelico was a Lusitanian god, and I used its name for two purposes: to honour my ancestry and to annoy the judeo-christian fundamentalists with a pagan deity.

What is Lusitanian?
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Ibrahim

Post by Ibrahim »

The Lusitanians were and ancient Celt-Iberian tribe living what is now Portugal. They fought the Romans both on their own and in Carthaginian service. Lusitania was the Roman name for the province of their empire that consisted of what is now Portugal.
Apollonius

Post by Apollonius »

I worked in libraries for many years but like Apollonius of Rhodes, famous librarian at Alexandria and author of the Argonautica, I've moved to an island, where my job description these days might best be described as frontiersman.
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Ibrahim wrote:The Lusitanians were and ancient Celt-Iberian tribe living what is now Portugal. They fought the Romans both on their own and in Carthaginian service. Lusitania was the Roman name for the province of their empire that consisted of what is now Portugal.
Thank you Ibrahim. Quite right.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
ansuchin

Post by ansuchin »

From a hybrid of my formal and informal Thai names. :)
ความสงบ
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

When we were kids, I got a reputation for being able to gather information about pretty much anything ranging from the dead body we found in the cave on the Kourniche (Beirut) to being the scout that warned of the arriving guys with guns so that the street we lived on can be barracaded, the women and children sent to a make-shift shelter, and the cars moved underground. I always had an eye for detail. An older friend of mine used to call me Hans, as in German intelligence! He studied in West Germany and knew of the stories of the Stasi first hand. He used to tell me he would hear that nothing escaped these guys. The business of intelligence always fascinated me.

Bulvai is purposely distorted... :)
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
Enki

Post by Enki »

Hans Bulvai wrote:When we were kids, I got a reputation for being able to gather information about pretty much anything ranging from the dead body we found in the cave on the Kourniche (Beirut) to being the scout that warned of the arriving guys with guns so that the street we lived on can be barracaded, the women and children sent to a make-shift shelter, and the cars moved underground. I always had an eye for detail. An older friend of mine used to call me Hans, as in German intelligence! He studied in West Germany and knew of the stories of the Stasi first hand. He used to tell me he would hear that nothing escaped these guys. The business of intelligence always fascinated me.

Bulvai is purposely distorted... :)
Heh, wish I could've known you in a younger incarnation. I've always had a fascination with ninjas, and when I was a kid would make efforts to walk silently everywhere. I have since grown lazy, but I am still fairly good at being sneaky when I need to be. ;)
-Alexander Hamilton
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

I have a few comment about user names ;

- IMO, users should use same "name/avatar" throughout all foras

reason is, after a while, one knows the views of the debater .. helps to understand his argument

- "name/avatar" should be "representative/discloser"

if one is conservative, or liberal, Iranians, Arab, Japanese, Chinese, redneck, Zionist, male/female, gay, fascist, communist, Islamist, Christian Zionist, etc etc .. one should know upfront

why ?

because, a fascist, or Zionist talking about freedom is not same as a Communist or an Islamist talking about freedom .. they mean different things under freedom .. if one knows their affiliation one knows what they mean

name/avatar should be part of discloser

changing and having new "name/avatar" with each new fora .. although one can guess WhoIsWho .. not a good idea

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

AzariLoveIran wrote:.

reason is, after a while, one knows the views of the debater .. helps to understand his argument

if one is conservative, or liberal, Iranians, Arab, Japanese, Chinese, redneck, Zionist, male/female, gay, fascist, communist, Islamist, Christian Zionist, etc etc .. one should know upfront

why ?

because, a fascist, or Zionist talking about freedom is not same as a Communist or an Islamist talking about freedom .. they mean different things under freedom .. if one knows their affiliation one knows what they mean

changing and having new "name/avatar" with each new fora .. although one can guess WhoIsWho .. not a good idea

No.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

To elaborate, there are plenty of sites that categorize and stereotype posters according to their religious/political/cultural/social views.

As this is a simplistic 2D view of the world, less than zero interest in doing so here.
crashtech

Post by crashtech »

I thought of changing my nickname, because it might help eliminate some vexing preconceptions other posters have sometimes evinced in their responses to me. But overall I am not troubled too much by it; inevitably we all have a past we must face up to, and I'm not afraid to do it.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

crashtech wrote:I thought of changing my nickname, because it might help eliminate some vexing preconceptions other posters have sometimes evinced in their responses to me. But overall I am not troubled too much by it; inevitably we all have a past we must face up to, and I'm not afraid to do it.
I had wondered if you were a realist IT tech :wink:
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Typhoon wrote:.
AzariLoveIran wrote:.

why ?

No.

:lol:

Typhoon wrote:.

To elaborate, there are plenty of sites that categorize and stereotype posters according to their religious/political/cultural/social views.

As this is a simplistic 2D view of the world, less than zero interest in doing so here.

look, "Typhoon"

would it be helpfull (to others on this fora) if Azari calls himself "David Goldsmith" ?

if so, my posts would not make sense to you guys at all :lol:

and

this individual, any poster can make his/her own decision

crashtech

Post by crashtech »

Typhoon wrote:
crashtech wrote:I thought of changing my nickname, because it might help eliminate some vexing preconceptions other posters have sometimes evinced in their responses to me. But overall I am not troubled too much by it; inevitably we all have a past we must face up to, and I'm not afraid to do it.
Coincidentally, I serve in that capacity for family and friends!
Jnalum Persicum

Post by Jnalum Persicum »

Hallo

Enki

Post by Enki »

crashtech wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Coincidentally, I serve in that capacity for family and friends!
I got out of IT because I got sick of being around broken tech all the time. I got into IT because I loved the tech, and then found out how awful it was to only be using the cool lavender when it was broken.
-Alexander Hamilton