Gardening

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Hans Bulvai

Gardening

Post by Hans Bulvai »

monster_gardener wrote:
BTW, I do garden but had to hang my shears last summer due to the extreme drought we had 'round here. My yard looks like lavender. I kept my roses and flowers alive but the grass is gone. Hope this summer is not the same as last.
Agreed.........

2011 was not a great year for tomatoes but I did OK..... not great.......

Perhaps because I used mulch. Mulch can help retain soil moisture.

You might also want to try "water crystals" especially in containers........
Water Absorbing Polymers In Containers

Growing plants in containers is fun and very satisfying. However, one of the drawbacks of a container garden is that it needs watering more often than does the soil in garden beds. In fact, a container planting can dry out very quickly causing great stress on the plants.

While it is optional, we advise yardeners to include a water absorbing polymer gel with the potting mix when setting up a container garden. These magical crystals will cut your watering needs by one third to one half. You can buy soilless mix with these polymer crystals already included, or you can introduce the polymers yourself as you prepare to plant your container. For details on how these water absorbing polymers work go to Understanding Polymers.
http://yardener.com/YardenersPlantHelpe ... Containers

I do it a bit differently: most at the bottom of the pot..........

What are you planning to grow this year?
Not sure yet. For sure I want to get my roses and flowers going again.
A vegetable garden is in my future but that will depend on what the summer will look like. I have a big yard and it is not cheap to keep it green. IF it looks like rain is in our future then herbs, tomatoes, watermelon, lettuce, etc.. are on the menu!
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
noddy

Re: Gardening

Post by noddy »

living in one of the hottest and driest climates on the planet, i cant rave about pea straw/hay enough... its just magic.

protects moisture, provides sunscreen and breaks down into high nitrogen fertilizer, its many products in one.... with a bit of sheep or horse manure you can grow veges straight in a bale of it with no soil at all, avoiding any lurking nasties like chemicals/batteries that may exist in your backyard after decades of occupation by random idiots.
ultracrepidarian
Hans Bulvai

Post by Hans Bulvai »

Wonderful! Thank you for the advice. I will look into it for sure.
I don't buy supremacy
Media chief
You menace me
The people you say
'Cause all the crime
Wake up motherfucker
And smell the slime
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

"There will be crop rotation with cereal and sugarbeet."

"There are five or six other projects in the wings," explained Pellisa. They included supplying seeds to Spain's so-called grow shops, which are allowed to sell them to people wishing to grow their own plants.

A second cannabis club with 7,000 members was due to meet Pellisa for talks on Thursday.

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Well, the vegetable plot is dug over and have planted onions, and transplanted raspberry canes. Will put the early potatoes in this weekend, well earthed up they should escape any late frosts. Will wait a while before planting french beans and courgettes (zucchini).

We desperately need some rain, though.

The wife is otherwise engaged, and she usually does the back garden. It's mostly perennials and lawn, however, and no need to prune at this time of year.