Work Out and Exercise

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Work Out and Exercise

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

These are some great suggestions, keep them coming.

I've spent the time establishing a habit of working out and a general routine.

I try to fast on Sundays, so no working out then, the rest of the week goes:

Mondays, Wednesdays: I've been running between 20 to 40 minutes a day. I am at 7 miles a minute. I'd ideally like to be able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes. I'm going to start incorporating sprinting in there soon. After running, I do a lot of stretching, basic yoga-ish stuff and try work on limberness. I do not own a bed and it is effecting my hips- they need a lot of work. Otherwise, I'm not too bad with motion and pretty limber.

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays: I do about 30 pull ups, 30 push ups, 90 squats, 150 leg raises, (I don't know what else to call it but I try to stand on my toes for a few seconds to work on calves) and 100 standing hip abductor I also have been doing farmers carries with 12 lb weights to work on my forearms. I need a good exercise for my wrists. Like I said above, I could use more leg strengthening, inner and outer thigh.

Fridays: LOTS more stretching, I do crunches/bicycles, planking, core exercise type stuff and low intensity pull ups- last Friday I did around 80 pull ups throughout the day....so like a set of five here and there.

Now that I've got this habit established, I want to start really developing what I'm going to be working on with some of the suggestions listed above.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Any suggestions for a diet, especially one where you must eat as cheaply as possible?

Right now my basic diet is:

5 or 6 small meals a day:

1) A bowl of Life cereal w/2% milk

2) a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread

3) nuts (almonds, brazilian nuts, cashews, pecans and a few others mixed in)

4) chicken/salmon/octopus w/some brown rice

5) a serving of vegetables, and a three oz piece of dark chocolate

6) 3 scrambled eggs w/jalapeno peppers and veggies thrown in: 2 whole eggs and one egg white.

I also drink a lot of fluids, maybe too much. I've been getting juice in there but I've read it isn't the healthiest thing to do- I stick to pomegranate juice.

I won't be able to afford this diet soon. Nuts are really expensive, vegetables aren't cheap (I'm buying frozen.) And juice may be too much (forget about the salmon/octopus which I get as a personal deal.)
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Any suggestions for a diet, especially one where you must eat as cheaply as possible?
Dried beans—red, pinto, black, garbanzo, etc.—and corn meal. Get a pressure cooker for the beans. Google recipes for corn bread and polenta.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
NapLajoieonSteroids

Marcus wrote:
NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Any suggestions for a diet, especially one where you must eat as cheaply as possible?
Dried beans—red, pinto, black, garbanzo, etc.—and corn meal. Get a pressure cooker for the beans. Google recipes for corn bread and polenta.
I suppose I'm going to hafta bite this bullet: I can't stand beans, :lol:, but I may not have much of a choice here.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:I suppose I'm going to hafta bite this bullet: I can't stand beans, :lol:, but I may not have much of a choice here.
How many different kinds of beans have you tried? To most folks, beans are either pintos or great northerns. There are many others, and their tastes vary. Get a 6-quart Presto pressure cooker in stainless steel—pretty cheap—and a bean cookbook. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Cook up a mess of pintos or blacks or red beans. Dice an onion with some garlic and cook till soft. Add some chili powder, some cumin, and some coriander, add the beans, mash them up a bit, and cook down till kind of stiff. Serve on tortillas like tacos—with some lettuce, sour cream, and grated cheese.

We love them.
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Marcus wrote:
I suppose I'm going to hafta bite this bullet: I can't stand beans, :lol:, but I may not have much of a choice here.
Think peasant food. For centuries those wily sons of the soil have been feeding families of a dozen with little more than a couple of elderly sausages, a handful of parsley and whatever can be gleaned from under the hedgerows.

If you don't care for beans, there is their close cousin the lentil. Have you considered Dal? Buying the spices might pricey depending on where you are and their availability, but you'll get quite a few frugal meals from them.

Another inexpensive favourite of mine is Sicilian Pasta with Broccoli (sans saffron). It does pretty well in the cost/calories and effort/flavour stakes.

BTW, what do you do with your spare egg yolks?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Sparky wrote:Think peasant food. . .
Check it out, guys. I own the book, and it will damn sure get one thinking outside the processed food aisles in the supermarket.
books.jpeg
books.jpeg (7.9 KiB) Viewed 397 times
European Peasant Cookery
There are over 500 recipes in this classic work from one of the country's most respected food writers.

First published in the 1980 and twenty years in the making but unavailable for many years Elisabeth Luard has now revisited the work for the first time since publication to revise, expand and update it.

The recipes come from twenty-five countries, ranging from Ireland in the west to Roumania in the east, Iceland in the north to Turkey in the south. This enormous compendium covers Vegetables dishes, Potato dishes, Bean, Lentils, Polenta and Cornmeal, Rice, Pasta and Noodles, Eggs, Milk and Cheeses, Fish, Poultry, Small Game, Pork, Shepherd's Meats, Beef, Breads and Yeast Pastries, Sweet Dishes, Herbs, Mushrooms and Fungi, Oils, and Preserves. Written with the scrupulous attention to detail and authenticity that is the hallmark of Elisabeth Luard's cookery writing, the recipes are peppered with hundreds of fascinating anecdotes and little known facts about local history and folklore.
--- Richard Nixon
—John Calvin