Food & Recipe Thread

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
AzariLoveIran

Food & Recipe Thread

Post by AzariLoveIran »

7M4krxq6pz0

“We don't have a freezer. We don't have walk-in coolers. We prep what we can for the day. We sell what we can for the day. And then we start again tomorrow,” said Bagheri.

Nonc Hilaire

Re: Food & Recipe Thread

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
ansuchin

Post by ansuchin »

ส้มตำ “Som Tam,” Papaya Salad.

A personal favourite.

First, secure green papaya, not the ripe ones that will just turn into mush in your hands. In the West, Asian grocers are probably your best bet but you might luck out and find these at your more generic grocery stores.

With a good, very sharp Thai kitchen knife, peel the green skin off and then, while holding the papaya in one hand, whack away lengthwise making cuts with the knife. Do not slice off your fingers, they will add little to the salad's flavour. Using the knife, slice into long strips and place in a bowl.

With a pestle in a large mortar, pound several cloves of garlic and as many thai chiles as your heat tolerance allows (I usually use around 10 chiles or so but that is usually too hot for most farangs). Add a few long beans and then some of the papaya and pound to mix. Add about a tablespoon of palm sugar and a tablespoon or so of fish sauce, and pound a bit. Add the rest of the papaya and mix and pound a few times in the mortar. Add a chopped, whole tomato, and pound some more. Add a couple of tablespoons of lime juice, about a quarter cup or so of dried shrimp and dry roasted peanuts and pound a bit to mix and stir with a spoon. You can add and pound other items into the salad. I usually add some thin sliced santol and green mango, but do not add too much so as not to overwhelm the central role of the papaya. The other trick to this recipe is to pound enough to mix and drive the flavour into the papayas without breaking the papaya down and making a mush.

Enjoy!

:D

ความสงบ
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

dJZd-Oge5_E
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

GrKSWocbbdw
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

A Japanese twist on classic pain perdu:

Crispy Baked French Toast

3 large eggs
1¼ cups milk
¾ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs
8 slices dry white bread
¼ cup butter
¼ cup oil

Beat eggs together with milk, sugar and vanilla extract in shallow bowl until well blended. Place panko in pie pan or shallow dish. Dip each bread slice into egg mixture, thoroughly coating both sides, then coat both sides of bread slices with bread crumbs. Place on large wire rack.

Add butter and oil into 17¼ x 11½ inch jelly roll pan. Place pan in 400°F oven for 1 to 2 minutes, or until butter melts. Remove pan from oven. Place bread slices into pan in single layer, turning over once to coat both sides of bread slices with butter mixture. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn bread slices over and bake 10 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Serve with butter and maple syrup. Makes 4 servings.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Suitable for warding off the winter chill.

Moroccan Chickpea Soup

http://www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com/Rec ... ?rpid=3651

The bulk of the flavour in this soup comes from the ras el hanout – a Moroccan spice blend containing many different spices and having many variations.

1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
6 cloves garlic, bruised and chopped
2 tbsp (25 mL) Ras el Hanout
4 cups (1 L) vegetable broth
3 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach
Olive oil, optional
Ras el Hanout, recipe follows

Heat 1/4 cup (50 mL) oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; saute until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp (25 mL) ras el hanout and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in next 6 ingredients (broth through pepper). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, partially puree chickpeas. Alternatively, mash with a potato masher. May be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.

Bring to a boil before proceeding. Reduce heat to low and add spinach; cook, stirring, for 1 – 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Serve drizzled with additional oil. Serves 6 - 8.

Ras el Hanout

Combine 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground coriander and ground ginger. Add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each cinnamon, ground allspice, ground cardamom, ground cumin, Spanish paprika, turmeric and freshly ground pepper. Add 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Add a pinch of saffron threads, if desired. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Use as directed in recipe or as a rub on pork, lamb or chicken Makes about 3 tbsp (40 mL).

--T.S. Eliot
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Cooking a Boston Butt today ( note: not actually from the pig's arse, but the shoulder). Normally, I'd grill something like that or smoke it, but since I've been reduced to a Webber grill and Kingsford store bought charcoal, this is not possible. Or at least, undignified.

So, we use the oven like the accursed wall- bound city dwellers do, with their fancy plows and their ziggurats and their calendar.

Take the Bwastin Butt and put on your personal favorite dry rub. If you don't already have the recipe for a dry rub ground into your soul, you are a cowardly Yankee sonofabitch at worst, a foreigner at best, and either way your facility with pork is probably questionable. In this case, an apey mixture of chili, garlic, onion, black pepper, ground cayenne and a shot of ginger will do. Rub in thoroughly and then use your secret baste sauce ( you don't have a baste sauce? Dagnabit, this is what I'm talking about!!) and a meat injector to thoroughly saturate the inside of the joint. Place the meat in a little foil boat on a rack in a roaster pan and pour the remnants of your baste over the roast liberally , leaving it to pool in the foil.

Loosely wrap the foil over the top of the meat, place a roaster pan over the whole deal. Oven at 350 deg F ( I refuse to use Celsius; Newt Gingrich says that's a pagan assault on our values), for 45 minutes per pound. Take it out when internal temperature has reached a minimum of 170F, 190 or even 200 is probably better to break up and render out all that yummy connective tissue. When cooked properly, the meat should pull off in stringy globs that have been known to inspire opera and poetry. Well, country music and burping the alphabet, but close enough.
Hoosiernorm

Post by Hoosiernorm »

JIFFY CORN CASSEROLE
1 can whole kernel yellow corn, undrained
1 can cream style yellow corn
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 stick butter, melted
Mix all together and pour into large, lightly oiled casserole dish.
Bake at 350°F for 55 to 60 minutes.

Been busy doing stuff
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

OMG. Carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs, fat, carbs, carbs.

I'd explode. Besides; there's no point in eating corn.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Gypsy Soup

3-4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups chopped, peeled sweet potato
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup (or less) chopped, fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers
1 can cooked chickpeas with the water
3 cups stock or water
2 flat tsp. paprika
1 flat tsp. turmeric
1 flat tsp. basil
1 flat tsp. salt
dash of cinnamon
dash of cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp. tamari sauce

In a soup kettle or large saucepan saute the onion, garlic, celery and sweet potato in olive oil for about 5 mins. Add the seasonings, tamari and stock or water. Simmer, covered, for 15 mins. Add the remaining vegetables and the chickpeas, including their water.

Simmer for another 10 mins. or so until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them.

Note: The choice of vegetables is flexible. Any orange vegetable can be combined with a green one. For example, pumpkin or squash could be used instead of the sweet potato; peas or green beans could replace the peppers. I added a couple of carrots to the recipe, as the book suggested, and didn't regret it.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Onion Soup from S.W. France (Dordogne)

2 tbsp. fruity olive oil
5 cups thin sliced onions
salt and pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 bay leaf, crumbled
½ tsp. dried oregano
¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 large can Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
6 cups*** chicken or turkey stock
½ cup rice or orzo

Garnish: chopped fresh basil and parsley

In a heavy bottom casserole, heat 2 tbsp. oil and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper and add the sugar. Cook the onions over medium heat for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the thyme, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and parsley. Partially cover the casserole and continue cooking the onions over low heat for 30-40 minutes, or until they are very soft and nicely browned. Stir the mixture from time to time to prevent the onions burning.

Add the flour and stir to blend thoroughly with the onions. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, with the lid ajar, for about 30 minutes. Taste the soup and correct the seasoning. Add the pasta or rice and continue simmering until it is al dente.

Serves 8-10.

Variation: 15 minutes before the soup is done, add a finely-diced zucchini and a handful of finely-diced green beans. Serve with a side-bowl of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese. (Soup is very similar to Italian cipolatta; variation tastes much like minestrone.)

***6 cups of stock will produce a very thick soup, particularly upon reheating. Add more stock for a thinner soup.
Last edited by Antipatros on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

--T.S. Eliot
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Salmon Tacos. . about as easy and as healthy as it gets:

Enough wild salmon for however many . . a quarter pound at most per person; Skin salmon, debone, and cut into 1/2" strips; roll in whole wheat flour seasoned with your favorite seasoning (dill, cajun, Old Bay, etc.); fry lightly in small amount of olive oil—do not overcook . .

Enough whole wheat tacos for however many . .

Enough shredded, organic cabbage for however many . .

Put fish on tacos, add shredded cabbage, dress with tartar sauce or salsa or sour cream with hot pepper flakes or Tabasco to taste . .

Simple, fast, easy, healthy . . .
"The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time."
--- Richard Nixon
"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."
—John Calvin
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Asian Turkey Soup

http://www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com/Rec ... ?rpid=1024

4 cups (1 L) turkey stock
1 cup (250 mL) chopped cooked turkey
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped green onion
1 can (8 oz / 227 mL) sliced water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
1/2 tsp (2 mL) ginger
1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) garlic powder
1/2 cup (125 mL) broken capellini or vermicelli

Combine all ingredients except capellini in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in capellini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Serves 4.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Shrove Tuesday

Post by Antipatros »

Pancakes

1½ cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
1 egg
1¼ cups milk
3 tbsp. melted butter
¼ tsp. vanilla

Sift the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and sugar) into a large mixing bowl. Beat the egg, then add the milk and beat for a few minutes. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients; pour in the milk and egg mixture slowly, stirring all the while. Then continue stirring just long enough to make the mixture smooth. Finally, add the melted butter and vanilla and stir gently. Drop batter by spoonfuls on a hot greased pan and fry until delicate brown on both sides.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

...and another entry from the "Why bother buying commercially-prepared products?" file:

Creamy Chocolate Pudding

(Fry Cadbury Ltd., Cocoa Cookery, 1960s)

¾ cup sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup Fry’s Cocoa
⅛ tsp. salt
3 cups milk
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla

Measure into top of double boiler sugar, flour, cocoa and salt; stir to blend thoroughly. Add milk and butter or margarine. Cook over boiling water until smooth and creamy; stir frequently. Cover and cook 10 minutes; stir twice. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Pour into serving dish or custard cups. Chill well. [Garnish with toasted almonds and canned pear halves filled with whipped cream.]

Yield: 6-8 servings.

--T.S. Eliot
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

YMix

Post by YMix »

Big Mac inventor passes away aged 98 nearly 50 years after creating iconic McDonald’s burger
Outlived many of his clients.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

On a completely different note, I have just discovered sodium citrate. A mere 1/2 tsp in a tad of water makes real cheese and cream emulsifiable like Velveeta! Sharp cheddar or even gorgonzola mac & cheese! No more separation into greasy goo! Even microwaved leftovers are edible! Real cheese nacho dips exist!

There is a whole thing called modernist cooking I was unaware of. Maybe there is more to be discovered, but making mac & cheese with real cheese is all I can handle right now.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Just discovered the difference between Ruby Port and Tawny Port. :) That was an eye opener!

m.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:On a completely different note, I have just discovered sodium citrate. A mere 1/2 tsp in a tad of water makes real cheese and cream emulsifiable like Velveeta! Sharp cheddar or even gorgonzola mac & cheese! No more separation into greasy goo! Even microwaved leftovers are edible! Real cheese nacho dips exist!

There is a whole thing called modernist cooking I was unaware of. Maybe there is more to be discovered, but making mac & cheese with real cheese is all I can handle right now.
ill have to try that.

the only trick i know also involves cheese - boil up 2 litres of milk and throw < 1 teaspoon of citric acid powder in and you get paneer, the fresh indian cottage cheese.

you need to squish all the little curd bits togerther in a cheesecloth and rinse the whey off aswell.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

hB42iztkzVQ

Teresa of Ávila
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

We make it wrong. We serve it wrong. We eat it wrong.

My turn at the window and I make a hummus faux pas. I want what I see, so I ask for hummus and pita. I get a strange look and a request for 10 Israeli Shekels, or about $2.70. Instead of the beautifully dressed bowl I craved, I get a bag. Inside, a split pita with hummus oozing out the sides.

Turns out, pita is implied in any order of hummus. By calling it out, apparently I overstated the obvious to which I was oblivious, changing my request into some sort of unorthodox sandwich. Hence the odd look. Nonetheless, I eat — rather messily — standing at the sunny curb, surrounded by others expertly balancing bowls and bread.

I don't care. I am transfixed. This no tub of American grocery store hummus. It is light, etherally smooth. The flavor is at once boldly nutty with tahini yet also subtle. None of the harsh garlic and lemon I expect. Is there even any garlic in it? Most shocking: It is deliciously warm. Who knew you could eat hummus warm?
https://theweek.com/articles/934988/pur ... ect-hummus
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

One Pot Orecchiette with Sausage & Broccolini

(4 servings):

Ingredients

- about a pound of Italian sausages removed from their casing. The sausage can be hot or sweet, I would recommend hot.

- 1 diced yellow/spanish onion

- a pound of fresh broccolini cut into inch long pieces

- a half a teaspoon of minced garlic (I just eyeball this part with a jar of minced garlic, I think it's supposed to be around 2 cloves worth)

- 20 fluid ounces of chicken broth (I just use unsalted chicken stock most of the time to cut down on the sodium)

- around half a box of orecchiette pasta-- should be half a pound

- salt and pepper to taste

- and one can toss on an optional sprinkling of parmesan cheese and/or red pepper flakes-- though I wouldn't recommend it

Instructions

1)Cut up the broccolini into 1 in. pieces, dice the onion and remove the sausage from its casing; sliced into into little round bits. One could also break it up into smaller pieces/more of a meat sauce with a wooden spoon while in the pot during step 2.

2) In a large pot place on stove, turn on to medium high heat. Add onions and sausage and cook for about 6 minutes.

3)Turn temperature down to medium, add minced garlic and cook for about 2 minutes

4) Turn temperature to high and add the chicken broth, put a lid on and bring to a boil.

5) Once its boiling, turn down to low, add the pasta and stir. Put lid back on and simmer for 12 minutes.

6) Add the broccolini pieces and stir up the pot. Put the lid back on and continue to simmer for another 5-8 minutes until the pasta is cooked enough and the broccolini is bright green and semi-soft.

7) Pour entire contents of pot into a large serving bowl.

7) Add the salt and pepper/parmesan/red pepper flakes to taste.