Democrat states and Republican states

Mr. Perfect

Democrat states and Republican states

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The party of MMGW, Darwin and edumacation produces a huge turd. I wonder how many of these are non-white condemned to a life of crap because Democrats refuse to educate them? We'll see.

I'm ready to hand this state over to Mexico right now.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/students ... cores.html
Calif. students rank 47th in science

About 22 percent of California’s eighth-graders tested on a national science test passed, ranking the Golden State among the worst in the nation, according to figures released Thursday.

Scores from the 2011 National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as the Nation’s Report Card, show that too few students have the skills that could lead to careers in the field, educators said.
ajkAP_M4ZAM
Censorship isn't necessary
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Aztlan Agonies Re: Democrat states

Post by monster_gardener »

Mr. Perfect wrote:The party of MMGW, Darwin and edumacation produces a huge turd. I wonder how many of these are non-white condemned to a life of crap because Democrats refuse to educate them? We'll see.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/students ... cores.html
Calif. students rank 47th in science

About 22 percent of California’s eighth-graders tested on a national science test passed, ranking the Golden State among the worst in the nation, according to figures released Thursday.

Scores from the 2011 National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as the Nation’s Report Card, show that too few students have the skills that could lead to careers in the field, educators said.
ajkAP_M4ZAM
Thank you Very Much for your post, Mr. Perfect.

Am familiar with the Voz de Aztlan........

Some of them are channeling Aztec Gods.... The type that like human hearts for breakfast........... :shock: :o :twisted: :evil: :(

I suggest taking a close look at that map........

Aztlan includes a LOT more than California........

Texas for example......... A Red Republican state of late............
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Re: Democrat states

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Good point MG, I would say that I will compromise with them, they can have CA we'll keep TX and call it even.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Aztlán in United States
ultracrepidarian
monster_gardener

El Plan de San Diego.... Mexican Trading Policy.....

Mr. Perfect wrote:Good point MG, I would say that I will compromise with them, they can have CA we'll keep TX and call it even.
Thank You VERY Much for your Post, Mr. Perfect.

What about the other States on Noddy's map?

And don't forget that the Mexicans may want Texas more than they want California.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_of_San_Diego
The Plan of San Diego (Spanish: Plan de San Diego) was drafted by agents of Mexican president Venustiano Carranza, to start a race war in 1915 and overthrow the United States government in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California during the Mexican Revolution. The plan was to kill all the Anglo men, but it was discovered in early 1915. However raids did begin in July and the insurgency was countered by Texas Rangers and the U.S. Army. The insurgency was suppressed after 30 raids from Mexico into Texas that destroying millions of property and killed 21 Americans. The raiders were Mexicans (not Mexican Americans).
Contents

Supporters of Mexican President Venustiano Carranza, known as Seditionistas, drafted the plan in Monterrey, Mexico (it was not drafted in San Diego or anywhere in the U.S.). It called for the recruitment of native Mexicans, and Mexican-Americans, to rebel against the U.S. and kill every Anglo male of sixteen and above. The same basic idea reappeared in Germany's Zimmermann Telegram of 1917, which helped push the U.S. into war with Germany.[1]

The Plan called for an insurgent army to be named the "Liberating Army of Races and Peoples" (Ejército Liberador de las Razas y del Pueblo). After killing the white population, a republic was to be created out of the American border states which would eventually be annexed to Mexico.

The uprising was to begin on February 20, 1915, but when one of the rebel leaders, Basilio Ramos, was arrested in McAllen, Texas, a written copy of the plan was found in his possession and the U.S. responded immediately by increasing troop strength on the border. Numbers of Texas Rangers also increased to one of their all time highs due to the tension. About 30 raids into the U.S. took place in 1915-16, killing 21 Americans. Skirmishes between the Texas Rangers and Mexican raiders became common, though casualties remained light, as the rebels proved to be incapable of launching a full scale invasion and could only conduct guerilla warfare. Newspapers in Mexico celebrated the uprising, and Carranza representatives told Washington that if it recognized the Carranza government the raids would end. Washington complied and the raids ended in October, 1915.
However, many Texans feared the uprising was real, and formed vigilante posses that attacked anyone who was Mexican, armed, and suspicious. At least 100 Mexican Americans were killed in Texas.[2][3] In March 1916 Pancho Villa raided Columbus, New Mexico, and the U.S. sent the main U.S. Army deep into Mexico to catch him. It never caught him, but the Mexican government responded by resuming raids northward. The crisis escalated to the verge of formal war, but was resolved by diplomacy. There is no doubt that President Carranza was the driving force behind the plan.

The Mexicans didn't keep the deal..........

Something to remember when trading.........

Suggest that if you trade the Californicators as victims :wink: :twisted: *

You get something Real for it......

More than just appeasement.......

Maybe the Mayan Riviera to replace the lost coastline and/or the Oil Fields.........

Still don't have much enthusiasm for the deal...

*May be Nostalgia....... lived there...... Still have relatives........ Warn me so I can warn them...

California seems to have become a den of thieves Governmental and Private where as both George Eliot/Nastrana & Victor David Hanson report if you leave the garden tools out for a moment when using the loo, they get stolen. A place pretty much for the Very Rich, the Very Poor and Government Workers

Relatives report problems too....

At least in Florida AIUI, the housing prices have dropped........
Last edited by monster_gardener on Fri May 11, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enki

Post by Enki »

I think it's interesting that Mr. Perfect is in such a hurry to give away the most robust sector of the American economy.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes, a bankrupt state, ha ha.

Noddy, I will compromise with them, they can have CA, we'll keep everything else.
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Yes, a bankrupt state, ha ha.
And most of the top performing companies in the country. Funny how you claim to love the private sector and hate the public sector but because the government is broke that's all that matters.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

How many top companies are in Mexico Tinker?
monster_gardener

Slim is a Fat Cat.........

Mr. Perfect wrote:How many top companies are in Mexico Tinker?
Depends on how you define "top company"...........

Do we include Narco companies like the Zetas? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But since "Girls Just Want to Have Phones" :wink: ........

g3HwA7xZhfM

Mexico has a much better than Slim ;) chance of making the cut for top companies :lol:

at least with this Fat Cat/Gato Gordo ;) ..........
Carlos Slim Helú (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkaɾlos esˈlim eˈlu]; born January 28, 1940) is a Mexican business magnate and philanthropist who is currently ranked as the richest person in the world in 2012.[1] Slim has been ranked the richest person in the world since 2010. His extensive holdings in a considerable number of Mexican companies through his conglomerate, Grupo Carso, SA de CV, have amassed interests in the fields of communications, technology, retailing, and finance. Presently he is the chairman and chief executive of telecommunications companies Telmex and América Móvil.

América Móvil, which in 2010 was Latin America’s largest mobile-phone carrier, accounted for around US$49 billion of Slim's wealth by the end of 2010.[2] His corporate holdings as of March 2012 have been estimated at US$69 billion.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

It's all yours Mexico, all yours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/us/hu ... ml?_r=1&hp
The state budget shortfall in California has increased dramatically in the last six months, forcing state officials to assemble a series of new spending cuts that are likely to mean further reductions to schools, health care and other social programs already battered by nearly five years of budget retrenchment, state officials announced on Saturday.

“We are now facing a $16 billion hole, not the $9 billion we thought in January,” Mr. Brown said. “This means we will have to go much further and make cuts far greater than I asked for at the beginning of the year.”
NPc85z9uhJQ
monster_gardener

Not just Blue States like California

Mr. Perfect wrote:It's all yours Mexico, all yours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/us/hu ... ml?_r=1&hp
The state budget shortfall in California has increased dramatically in the last six months, forcing state officials to assemble a series of new spending cuts that are likely to mean further reductions to schools, health care and other social programs already battered by nearly five years of budget retrenchment, state officials announced on Saturday.

“We are now facing a $16 billion hole, not the $9 billion we thought in January,” Mr. Brown said. “This means we will have to go much further and make cuts far greater than I asked for at the beginning of the year.”
NPc85z9uhJQ
Thank You Very Much for your post, Mr. P.

:( :cry: :(

I hope and pray that California can solve its problems......

Turning point may be when the State goes effectively bankrupt when it can't pay the public employees pensions........

But that is not just a problem for Blue States like California....

Red States too.........

The Legislators and High Administrators rob the pension funds so that teachers and garbage men will likely be penniless

Unless they listen to Dave Ramsey.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Ramsey

And Clark Howard.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Howard
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

The Democrat war on Children, and people in general.

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadline ... rocky-road
Looking to hit the spot with a savory ice cream at Great Brook Farm State Park this week?

You may be out of luck.

The park's popular ice-cream stand was unexpectedly shut down by state officials over the weekend, after the stand's operator made building improvements at the site without getting permission first.

Mark Duffy, who has operated the dairy farm at the state-owned park for 26 years and has a lease with the state to run the stand, said armed Environmental Police officers showed up at stand on Friday evening and stood guard throughout the weekend, turning away customers craving delectable sundaes and frappes.

To make matters worse, said Duffy, the shutdown happened right before the sunny Mother's Day weekend.

Edward Lambert, commissioner of the Department of Conservation and Recreation, said the stand was closed after it was discovered construction had been done without local or state permits. The work, which expanded the stand, included construction on a barn built in 1910 that is adjacent to the stand, he said.

Lambert said he is trying to protect the public's health and safety while tests are conducted at the site.

"I like ice cream as much as anybody, so it pains us to even temporarily close what is an iconic property, but we have to make sure people eating ice cream there are safe," said Lambert.

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadline ... z1v4FO4jyM
noddy

Post by noddy »

death by dodgy ice cream stand is a serious issue, we need more public servants on top dollar investigating these things more closely, lest society fall apart.

i think we need an oversight department to check how they purchased the materials without having the approved paperwork in the first place, cowboy operated hardware stores are the root cause of this problem and a few simple procedures enforced at that level would nip this tragedy in the bud.
ultracrepidarian
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

noddy wrote:death by dodgy ice cream stand is a serious issue, we need more public servants on top dollar investigating these things more closely, lest society fall apart.

i think we need an oversight department to check how they purchased the materials without having the approved paperwork in the first place, cowboy operated hardware stores are the root cause of this problem and a few simple procedures enforced at that level would nip this tragedy in the bud.

I'd like to point out that the issue of unregulated hardware stores is very akin to the issue of unregulated feed stores. If you remember, the Oklahoma City bombing happened because McVeigh had stunned his toe and looked up to see a place where he could buy ammonium nitrate. The feed store practically caused the bombing.

So in conclusion: ice cream> unauthorized construction> hardware stores> domestic terrorism> 9/11.

Thank you. Report to your local re- education center if you've ever used a nail gun.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Demon of Undoing wrote:
noddy wrote:death by dodgy ice cream stand is a serious issue, we need more public servants on top dollar investigating these things more closely, lest society fall apart.

I'd like to point out that the issue of unregulated hardware stores is very akin to the issue of unregulated feed stores. If you remember, the Oklahoma City bombing happened because McVeigh had stunned his toe and looked up to see a place where he could buy ammonium nitrate. The feed store practically caused the bombing.

So in conclusion: ice cream> unauthorized construction> hardware stores> domestic terrorism> 9/11.

Thank you. Report to your local re- education center if you've ever used a nail gun.
absolutely, if you dont understand this you obviously dont believe in laws that stop bashing and raping of women, the story of western freedom is the story of restricting undesirable behaviours that could constitute a risk to other people.
ultracrepidarian
Demon of Undoing

Post by Demon of Undoing »

Dude, we don't have medicinal marijuana in my state. You have to know when to say when with that. You could put an eye out.

I don't have near enough Bass to cope with that all- too- accurate syllogism.
noddy

Post by noddy »

well you obviously need a special monsanto modified medical marijuana that can be copyrighted and have regulated growing by farms owned by senators.

its just a matter of approach, you will never get anywhere pushing for small business suppliers of non patented product, theirs no money in that for the big boys.
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/21/sa ... ts-ticket/
A New Jersey dad got the scare of his life when his 5-year-old son almost ran off a steep embankment, and though the man saved the boy from falling, he couldn't stop his Jeep from going over the precipice and into a river below.

The reward for his ordeal? Two traffic tickets from local police.

Frank Roder, a construction worker from the town of Winfield Park, had taken his son, Aidan, down to the Rahway River to feed ducks Thursday. But when he stopped briefly before settling on a parking space, the impatient boy jumped out and took off -- straight toward a ledge 35 feet above the river, Roder recalled.

"He hopped out, and I thought that was OK, I was just going to park," Roder, 38, said, but "he just took off, made a beeline for the edge."

The panic-stricken father jumped out of the cab of his 2006 Jeep Commander and raced after the errant boy, catching him just feet from the edge.

That's when Aidan, eyes as big as saucers, looked behind Roder and said, "Um, Daddy ..."

Roder turned in time to see the Jeep nosedive down the embankment and land in the muddy water.

Roder hugged the boy and waited as Union County police converged on the scene over the next few hours. A crane pulled the Jeep out, and amazingly, it started right up, though Roder is pretty sure his insurance company will count it as totaled.

He was counting his blessings when a young cop approached him and handed him two tickets. One was for failure to produce the insurance card, which was somewhere in the waterlogged cab. The other was for failing to use his emergency brake.

"I couldn't believe it," Roder said. "He said, 'If you would have taken the five seconds to apply the brake, this never would have happened!'

"I say, 'Really? And if I did and my boy stepped over the edge and fell instead of the Jeep, then were would I be?' He says, 'Jail, for child endangerment.'"

Too awful to contemplate is the fact the Roder almost took his six-week-old son Joel along for the ride.

"At the last minute, I told my wife to take him," Roder said. "I can't even think about that."

Union County Police Chief Daniel Vaniska told FoxNews.com that his officers have some discretion about when and when not to write a ticket. But he said he just didn't have enough information to second-guess what this officer did.

"It probably could have gone either way," Vaniska said. "I can't comment on the discretionary practices of an officer, but certainly, the fellow will have an opportunity to tell his story in court."

Municipal Court is where Roder might get some sympathy -- and maybe forbearance on those tickets, which are for $50 and $60. His date is May 30.

"I don't care, I'll pay it," Roder said. "It's just the principle. When something like that happens so fast, I could give a rat's a-- about the car."
Enki

Post by Enki »

That's an F'd up story Mr. P.
-Alexander Hamilton
monster_gardener

Pod Plant Alert............

Mr. Perfect wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/21/sa ... ts-ticket/
A New Jersey dad got the scare of his life when his 5-year-old son almost ran off a steep embankment, and though the man saved the boy from falling, he couldn't stop his Jeep from going over the precipice and into a river below.

The reward for his ordeal? Two traffic tickets from local police.

Frank Roder, a construction worker from the town of Winfield Park, had taken his son, Aidan, down to the Rahway River to feed ducks Thursday. But when he stopped briefly before settling on a parking space, the impatient boy jumped out and took off -- straight toward a ledge 35 feet above the river, Roder recalled.

"He hopped out, and I thought that was OK, I was just going to park," Roder, 38, said, but "he just took off, made a beeline for the edge."

The panic-stricken father jumped out of the cab of his 2006 Jeep Commander and raced after the errant boy, catching him just feet from the edge.

That's when Aidan, eyes as big as saucers, looked behind Roder and said, "Um, Daddy ..."

Roder turned in time to see the Jeep nosedive down the embankment and land in the muddy water.

Roder hugged the boy and waited as Union County police converged on the scene over the next few hours. A crane pulled the Jeep out, and amazingly, it started right up, though Roder is pretty sure his insurance company will count it as totaled.

He was counting his blessings when a young cop approached him and handed him two tickets. One was for failure to produce the insurance card, which was somewhere in the waterlogged cab. The other was for failing to use his emergency brake.

"I couldn't believe it," Roder said. "He said, 'If you would have taken the five seconds to apply the brake, this never would have happened!'

"I say, 'Really? And if I did and my boy stepped over the edge and fell instead of the Jeep, then were would I be?' He says, 'Jail, for child endangerment.'"

Too awful to contemplate is the fact the Roder almost took his six-week-old son Joel along for the ride.

"At the last minute, I told my wife to take him," Roder said. "I can't even think about that."

Union County Police Chief Daniel Vaniska told FoxNews.com that his officers have some discretion about when and when not to write a ticket. But he said he just didn't have enough information to second-guess what this officer did.

"It probably could have gone either way," Vaniska said. "I can't comment on the discretionary practices of an officer, but certainly, the fellow will have an opportunity to tell his story in court."

Municipal Court is where Roder might get some sympathy -- and maybe forbearance on those tickets, which are for $50 and $60. His date is May 30.

"I don't care, I'll pay it," Roder said. "It's just the principle. When something like that happens so fast, I could give a rat's a-- about the car."
Thank you Very Much for your Post, Mr. Perfect.

Maybe a search should be made for Pod Plants near this cop's house........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_o ... _Snatchers
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Looks like Zimmerman is at it again. Have you noticed how outraged Jesse J and co, Ibrahim, Tinker, those guys? Notice the outrage? Overwhelming.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-chicago ... 4162.story
25 people were shot in Chicago overnight.

19-year-old Jaleel Beasley and two other young men were hit just after 2 a.m. outside a bar in the Lawndale neighborhood.

Beasley died later at Mt Sinai hospital.

The other two men were brought to Stroger Hospital and are in stable condition.

Two other people were shot in the same area within 20 minutes of the first incident.

Police are investigating the possibility that the two events were related.

So far, no arrests have been made in connection with any of the shootings.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

STPN babay! Democrat style!

Mexico, whenever you're ready let us know, we'll sign this thing over to you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... where.html
Buyers' remorse for California's 'bullet train to nowhere'

California voters are experiencing buyers' remorse over a $68.4 billion (£44.4 billion) high speed rail project which critics say risks becoming a "bullet train to nowhere."

Ambitious plans for a fast track linking Los Angeles and San Francisco at speeds of up to 220mph in just over two-and-a-half hours were slimly approved by 53 per cent in a statewide ballot in 2008. That allowed the state to raise $10 billion from bonds and secured an injection of $3.5 billion in stimulus money from the Obama administration. There is currently no direct train route between the two.

Construction is expected to begin later this year in the middle of California's Central Valley near Merced, a town of 80,000 people known for having one of the highest home foreclosure rates in America.

The plan calls for around 300 miles of track to be laid south from there over the next 10 years to reach the northern outskirts of Los Angeles. A northern link from the Central Valley to San Francisco would not be completed until 2028.

The project is still $54.9 billion short of what is needed, raising fears that the state will be unable to find the funds to finish later sections, and could be left with a futuristic rail line linking minor cities and farming communities.

Amid disillusion over the cost and handling of the project, voters have now turned against what was supposed to become a symbol of state pride.

A new poll shows almost three fifths would oppose the bullet train and halt public borrowing if given another chance to vote.

Almost seven in 10 said that, if the train ever does run between Los Angeles and San Francisco, they would "never or hardly ever" use it.

Not a single person said they would use it more than once a week, and only 33 per cent said they would prefer the bullet train over a one hour plane journey or seven hour drive. The cost of a ticket, estimated at $123 each way, also put many off. Jerry Brown, California's Democrat governor, has championed the project as a way to create jobs and is backed by unions. The 74-year-old governor has been personally committed to a high speed rail link since the 1970s.

But he is trying to convince voters to spend billions on a train while at the same time proposing tax increases and austere public spending cuts, including a five per cent pay cut for state workers, to deal with a budget deficit that has ballooned to $16 billion.

California's politicians have until Aug 31 to give a final green light to an initial $6 billion, 130-mile section of track in the Central Valley, and they are expected to approve it. Only a simple majority vote is needed in the Democrat controlled legislature.

Jim Nielsen, the Republican vice chairman of the state's Assembly Budget Committee, who opposes the project, called it "an idea that gets worse the more information we get about it." In April the state's own Legislative Analyst's Office called the funding plan vague and speculative.

Supporters say the California economy, the world's ninth largest, will recover in the long run and the remaining money will be found from private investors, the federal government and fees from the state's cap-and-trade programme to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

They say the rail line will prove crucial to the state's economic future, linking north and south as airports and freeways reach capacity. But critics suggest the money will dry up and the state will instead be left with an "orphan track" linked to neither major city.

Dan Schnur, Director of the Unruh Institute of Politics, who carried out the recent poll, said: "The growing budget deficit is making Californians hesitant about spending so much money on a project like this one when they're seeing cuts to public education and law enforcement."

There was also disillusion with the handling of the project so far. It was initially projected to cost $45 billion and deliver passengers between the two major cities in a few hours by 2020.

Last autumn the state-run California High-Speed Rail Authority, which is overseeing it, disclosed the cost had more than doubled to $98.5 billion with a finish date of 2033.

After an outcry $30 billion was shaved off that estimate, but only by reducing the speed of the trains and using sections of existing slow track.

The authority is also facing legal challenges from those whose land the track will have to cross.

Last week agricultural groups filed a major environmental lawsuit asking for a preliminary injunction to block construction.

Unless building begins shortly there is also a risk of losing federal funds. The federal government has set a deadline of September 2017 for finishing the first section of track.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

In principle, both coasts of the US have sufficient population density to support HSR.
Mr. Perfect wrote:STPN babay! Democrat style!

California voters are experiencing buyers' remorse over a $68.4 billion (£44.4 billion) high speed rail project which critics say risks becoming a "bullet train to nowhere." . . .
The US is fortunate that the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways was approved and started in 1950's.

The cost of construction has been estimated at $425 billion (in 2006 dollars), [4] making it the "largest public works program since the Pyramids.
And has had an immeasurable impact on commerce and culture in the US.

I think that approval and construction today would be impossible due to a combination of purely purient point-scoring political polarization, NIMBY lawsuits, and crony cost overruns.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
monster_gardener

Wishing California well.......

Mr. Perfect wrote:STPN babay! Democrat style!

California voters are experiencing buyers' remorse over a $68.4 billion (£44.4 billion) high speed rail project which critics say risks becoming a "bullet train to nowhere."

Ambitious plans for a fast track linking Los Angeles and San Francisco at speeds of up to 220mph in just over two-and-a-half hours were slimly approved by 53 per cent in a statewide ballot in 2008. That allowed the state to raise $10 billion from bonds and secured an injection of $3.5 billion in stimulus money from the Obama administration. There is currently no direct train route between the two.

Construction is expected to begin later this year in the middle of California's Central Valley near Merced, a town of 80,000 people known for having one of the highest home foreclosure rates in America.

The plan calls for around 300 miles of track to be laid south from there over the next 10 years to reach the northern outskirts of Los Angeles. A northern link from the Central Valley to San Francisco would not be completed until 2028.

The project is still $54.9 billion short of what is needed, raising fears that the state will be unable to find the funds to finish later sections, and could be left with a futuristic rail line linking minor cities and farming communities.

Amid disillusion over the cost and handling of the project, voters have now turned against what was supposed to become a symbol of state pride.

A new poll shows almost three fifths would oppose the bullet train and halt public borrowing if given another chance to vote.

Almost seven in 10 said that, if the train ever does run between Los Angeles and San Francisco, they would "never or hardly ever" use it.

Not a single person said they would use it more than once a week, and only 33 per cent said they would prefer the bullet train over a one hour plane journey or seven hour drive. The cost of a ticket, estimated at $123 each way, also put many off. Jerry Brown, California's Democrat governor, has championed the project as a way to create jobs and is backed by unions. The 74-year-old governor has been personally committed to a high speed rail link since the 1970s.

But he is trying to convince voters to spend billions on a train while at the same time proposing tax increases and austere public spending cuts, including a five per cent pay cut for state workers, to deal with a budget deficit that has ballooned to $16 billion.

California's politicians have until Aug 31 to give a final green light to an initial $6 billion, 130-mile section of track in the Central Valley, and they are expected to approve it. Only a simple majority vote is needed in the Democrat controlled legislature.

Jim Nielsen, the Republican vice chairman of the state's Assembly Budget Committee, who opposes the project, called it "an idea that gets worse the more information we get about it." In April the state's own Legislative Analyst's Office called the funding plan vague and speculative.

Supporters say the California economy, the world's ninth largest, will recover in the long run and the remaining money will be found from private investors, the federal government and fees from the state's cap-and-trade programme to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

They say the rail line will prove crucial to the state's economic future, linking north and south as airports and freeways reach capacity. But critics suggest the money will dry up and the state will instead be left with an "orphan track" linked to neither major city.

Dan Schnur, Director of the Unruh Institute of Politics, who carried out the recent poll, said: "The growing budget deficit is making Californians hesitant about spending so much money on a project like this one when they're seeing cuts to public education and law enforcement."

There was also disillusion with the handling of the project so far. It was initially projected to cost $45 billion and deliver passengers between the two major cities in a few hours by 2020.

Last autumn the state-run California High-Speed Rail Authority, which is overseeing it, disclosed the cost had more than doubled to $98.5 billion with a finish date of 2033.

After an outcry $30 billion was shaved off that estimate, but only by reducing the speed of the trains and using sections of existing slow track.

The authority is also facing legal challenges from those whose land the track will have to cross.

Last week agricultural groups filed a major environmental lawsuit asking for a preliminary injunction to block construction.

Unless building begins shortly there is also a risk of losing federal funds. The federal government has set a deadline of September 2017 for finishing the first section of track.
Thank you Very Much for your post, Mr. Perfect.

I'm still too attached to California...... Have memories and relatives there......

Great Climate.........

When I lived there California was the No. 1 agricultural producer in the US.......

Lots of Conservative Republicans lived there...... Notably in San Diego County with the big Naval Base and the wonderful harbor........

San Francisco also has a World Class harbor............

And Orange County...... Biggest County in the US....... Also home of Reagan & Nixon...though Nixon's qualifications as a conservative may be dubious......

Hopefully Brown will be able to get the paycut for the public employees through....
The Terminator tried and failed........
The prison guards in particular are paid way too much.........

Regarding the Fast Rail, see Typhoon's comments below......

Remembering also that when the Transcontinental Railway went through in the 19th Century, it was built by private industry BUT the government gave them the land for 10 miles on each side of the tracks........ Try doing that today.....

Not ready to give up on California yet..........