Spirit of the Season

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Nonc Hilaire

Merry Dickmas!

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Re: Spirit of the Season

Post by YMix »

Well, it's a fertility symbol.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

its good to remember the true spirit of dickmas

ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

gEUX-T7ST8I
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Merry Christmas to all.

For young couples, in Japan, Christmas Eve is effectively Valentine's Day. A time for romance.

Q1JNZoeyJo0

For families, KFC scored a marketing coup years ago in 1974, by convincing people to substitute KFC chicken for turkey.

umHfb1JHovA

And, joining my fellow ONOTer's in the spirit of the season, a

to all.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

From the profane to the pagan:

0UmvUy1LziE
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Typhoon wrote:From the profane to the pagan:

0UmvUy1LziE
Well East coast girls are hip
I really dig those styles they wear
And the Southern girls with the way they talk
They knock me out when I'm down there

The Mid-West farmer's daughters really make you feel alright
And the Northern girls with the way they kiss
They keep their boyfriends warm at night

I wish they all could be Lithuania
I wish they all could be Lithuania
I wish they all could be Lithuania girls...
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

_hs9-Sxf9j4

Haunting and beautiful.

Climatically off this year, though, warm, wet and stormy.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:0UmvUy1LziE
yZSWKB1_o4E
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:From the profane to the pagan
You don't know the half of it. :)

While out there, in the big wide world, people prepare to celebrate the Christ Mass, I'm getting ready for Crăciun. Wikipedia being a naive website thinks that "Crăciun is the Romanian word for Christmas. [...] The Romanian name for Santa Claus is Moş Crăciun, literally Old Man Christmas." Actually, Crăciun has nothing to do with Christianity, while the etymology offered by Wikipedia (From the Latin creatio, -nis) is simply a guess. The truth is nobody knows where this old name comes from. But what we do know is that Crăciun is an old god, and, like other solar gods, Moș Crăciun dies and is reborn on the Winter Solstice. In the long war between Christianity and the older religions, Christianity managed to score a victory by reserving Easter for itself. Mostly. The death and resurrection of Christ was important enough to displace the god occupying the summer equinox, but the birth of Christ could not do the same with Crăciun, the most important god of the pastoral calendar. Tonight, unbeknownst even to most Romanians, Christ is confined to the church and Crăciun rules over the land. There's nothing Christian about the decorated fir tree, the ritually slaughtered pig, the decorated twig, the masks, the dances and the carols. So there...
kmich

Post by kmich »

Christmas has always been about many things, most often just a brief celebration at the beginning a long, dark, and hungry winter.

Cчастливого Рождества!

jD1B2Csf3dw
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

hah! All these miserable responses, it really is the season. :lol:

I'm waiting on everyone to arrive- bearing gifts mind you- and procrastinating a bit on the important things that must be done before arrivals.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to one and all.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

seconded :D

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

"Oh what fun it is to sing a slaying song tonight!"
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:"Oh what fun it is to sing a slaying song tonight!"
I always imagine that people are singing about slaying. It makes that annoying carol so much more FUN.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

:lol: cutenic!
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Post by noddy »

northern hemisphere white christmas imagery is always an odd thing to southern hemisphere mid summer christmas.

we celebrate it in 30-40 degree heat with beer and ham in the proper abrahamic traditions.

i hope you all had a fine one.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:northern hemisphere white christmas imagery is always an odd thing to southern hemisphere mid summer christmas.

we celebrate it in 30-40 degree heat with beer and ham in the proper abrahamic traditions.

Mid 70's yesterday. AGW, ya know!

Happy Whatever-You-Perceive to all ya' all!
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:
Typhoon wrote:From the profane to the pagan
You don't know the half of it. :)

While out there, in the big wide world, people prepare to celebrate the Christ Mass, I'm getting ready for Crăciun. Wikipedia being a naive website thinks that "Crăciun is the Romanian word for Christmas. [...] The Romanian name for Santa Claus is Moş Crăciun, literally Old Man Christmas." Actually, Crăciun has nothing to do with Christianity, while the etymology offered by Wikipedia (From the Latin creatio, -nis) is simply a guess. The truth is nobody knows where this old name comes from. But what we do know is that Crăciun is an old god, and, like other solar gods, Moș Crăciun dies and is reborn on the Winter Solstice. In the long war between Christianity and the older religions, Christianity managed to score a victory by reserving Easter for itself. Mostly. The death and resurrection of Christ was important enough to displace the god occupying the summer equinox, but the birth of Christ could not do the same with Crăciun, the most important god of the pastoral calendar. Tonight, unbeknownst even to most Romanians, Christ is confined to the church and Crăciun rules over the land. There's nothing Christian about the decorated fir tree, the ritually slaughtered pig, the decorated twig, the masks, the dances and the carols. So there...
The Winter Solstice is probably one of the oldest celebrations in human civilization.

Christianity, as a clever marketing strategy, chose this season to overlay the birth of Jesus on pre-existing celebrations.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:northern hemisphere white christmas imagery is always an odd thing to southern hemisphere mid summer christmas.

Mid 70's yesterday. AGW, ya know!

Happy Whatever-You-Perceive to all ya' all!

sounds like our winter - we'all go into shock if it drops below 65f (18c)
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy New Year to all.

UxEyOSK9nxo
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

A happy 2016 and a nice new years eve to yall.
Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Post by YMix »

Here's hoping.