New Materials

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
YMix

New Materials

Post by YMix »

jnMXH5TqqG8
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Re: New Materials

Post by YMix »

More fungus!

Mushroom-Grown Chairs Are Strong and Compostable

You might think of mushrooms as something you put on pizza. But for a while, researchers have been looking at using some types of fungi as biological factories to produce a tough, durable material that could be used for everything from chairs to entire buildings.

Terreform ONE, a Brooklyn-based group that promotes urban design, recently was named as a finalist in the Spark Awards design competition for using mycoform, as the material is called, to produce a suite of “multi-curved biomaterial furniture.”

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
More fungus!

Mushroom-Grown Chairs Are Strong and Compostable

You might think of mushrooms as something you put on pizza. But for a while, researchers have been looking at using some types of fungi as biological factories to produce a tough, durable material that could be used for everything from chairs to entire buildings.

Terreform ONE, a Brooklyn-based group that promotes urban design, recently was named as a finalist in the Spark Awards design competition for using mycoform, as the material is called, to produce a suite of “multi-curved biomaterial furniture.”

[...]
When the wife says "I'm sick of looking at that old couch, I'm getting a new one!" Instead of arguing, you can say "fine. I'll re-cycle the old one."

and then you smoke it! :P
noddy

Post by noddy »

cupboard is empty, fry the couch in butter n garlic.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Simple Minded wrote:and then you smoke it! :P
Ten years' worth of a$$ sweat gives a new meaning to "good $hit". Not to mention all the cat hair in it.
noddy

Post by noddy »

if i had a background in such things id suggest you should dip them in honey rather than smoke them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_cubensis

eat that butt sweat.

gold tops rock - they are one of the things from my misspent youth i dont regret.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:if i had a background in such things id suggest you should dip them in honey rather than smoke them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_cubensis

eat that butt sweat.

gold tops rock - they are one of the things from my misspent youth i dont regret.
legal or illegal in Stralia?
noddy

Post by noddy »

illegal, treated like lsd or the other class a psychedelics.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Material could harvest sunlight by day, release heat on demand hours or days later

[...]

The finding, by MIT professor Jeffrey Grossman, postdoc David Zhitomirsky, and graduate student Eugene Cho, is described in a paper in the journal Advanced Energy Materials. The key to enabling long-term, stable storage of solar heat, the team says, is to store it in the form of a chemical change rather than storing the heat itself. Whereas heat inevitably dissipates over time no matter how good the insulation around it, a chemical storage system can retain the energy indefinitely in a stable molecular configuration, until its release is triggered by a small jolt of heat (or light or electricity).

[...]

Such chemically-based storage materials, known as solar thermal fuels (STF), have been developed before, including in previous work by Grossman and his team. But those earlier efforts "had limited utility in solid-state applications" because they were designed to be used in liquid solutions and not capable of making durable solid-state films, Zhitomirsky says. The new approach is the first based on a solid-state material, in this case a polymer, and the first based on inexpensive materials and widespread manufacturing technology.

[...]
Doc

Materials Science

Post by Doc »

https://scienmag.com/for-first-time-eve ... t-process/
For first time ever, X-ray imaging at Argonne captures material defect process
January 17, 2017

In a study published Jan. 16 in Nature Materials, researchers at Argonne's Advanced Photon Source, a DOE Office of Science User Facility, reveal they have captured – for the first time ever – images of the creation of structural defects in palladium when the metal is exposed to hydrogen.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Doc

Re: Materials Science

Post by Doc »

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38768683
Claim made for hydrogen 'wonder material'
By Jonathan Amos BBC Science Correspondent

Scientists in the US say they have at last managed to turn hydrogen into a state where it behaves like a metal.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38768683

Scientists in the US say they have at last managed to turn hydrogen into a state where it behaves like a metal.
Turns out this is a very competitive field and the claim is being challenged by other groups.

Physics Today | Has metallic hydrogen been discovered at last?
If validated, a contested experiment would complete the 80-year quest to squeeze the lightest element into a solid metal.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
Doc wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38768683

Turns out this is a very competitive field and the claim is being challenged by other groups.

Physics Today | Has metallic hydrogen been discovered at last?
If validated, a contested experiment would complete the 80-year quest to squeeze the lightest element into a solid metal.
Yeah I saw that If they can pull it off sounds like it would be a miracle metal
Doc

Post by Doc »

yUTHA-2LF0w
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

New sodium based battery tech. Game changer or incremental improvement?
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... oblem.html
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:New sodium based battery tech. Game changer or incremental improvement?
https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... oblem.html
Appears to be an incremental improvement.
The latter part of Schumm’s comment is important: in the future, batteries will be a lot more energy dense than today’s version, and this will require the use of these materials. The team’s binder polymer-based alternative to expensive and toxic wet chemistry comes in anticipation of the batteries of the future, many of which, according to Schumm and his colleagues, will be solid-state.
Although they are the future of battery tech, solid state batteries are still very much in the research stage with regard to applications such as electric vehicles.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Thanks.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

I was under the impression it was always going to be incremental tweeks and worse than petrol because physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:I was under the impression it was always going to be incremental tweeks and worse than petrol because physics.

that's why in SimpleMindedStan, in addition to a Ministry of Physics, we have the Ministry of Magic. So when we don't like the answers the physicists give us, we can scream "RACIST!," and then go get the answers we want from the people with PhD's in magic. Keeps people happier that way.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:I was under the impression it was always going to be incremental tweeks and worse than petrol because physics.

My understanding is the big benefits are that sodium is dirt cheap and plentiful, and manufacturing by deposition (spray painting layers I guess) layers is so much more safe and efficient that the #1 cost of electric cars will reduce exponentially. Plus the geopolitics of lithium become irrelevant.

A engineering victory over lithium batteries in the wings?

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:

My understanding is the big benefits are that sodium is dirt cheap and plentiful, and manufacturing by deposition (spray painting layers I guess) layers is so much more safe and efficient that the #1 cost of electric cars will reduce exponentially. Plus the geopolitics of lithium become irrelevant.

A engineering victory over lithium batteries in the wings?
Perhaps the novel manufacturing aspect will reduce costs.

The geopolitics of lithium mining is less problematic than rare earths, such as neodymium, required for electric motors wherein PR China dominates the market.

I'm not so sure about the safety aspect. Sodium, like lithium, is highly reactive, especially with water.

mNWTpfHovHM

Both occupy the same column in the periodic table and have similar chemical properties.

As noddy pointed out, the elephant in the room for any battery is the low energy density relative to fossil fuels.

Longer term, I'll speculate that fuel cells may replace the internal combustion engine in cars.
noddy

Post by noddy »

50% of lithium comes from an australia, i have a vested interest in its geopolitics ;)
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:50% of lithium comes from an australia, i have a vested interest in its geopolitics ;)
I thought it came from Lithuania.

Teresa of Ávila