Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, Autos, and Rockets

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
YMix

Re: Transport: Planes, Trains, Boats, and Autos

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

C919

The C919 -- a twin-engine, narrow-body aircraft seating up to 174 people -- is similar in size to the Airbus 320 and Boeing 737 series of jets, long the workhorses for airlines around the world.

With a flying range of up to 5,555 kilometers (3,451 miles), it is designed to compete head-to-head with its Airbus and Boeing rivals, and said to easily cover popular business and leisure routes from China such as Shanghai to Singapore and Beijing to Bangkok.

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

C919

The C919 -- a twin-engine, narrow-body aircraft seating up to 174 people -- is similar in size to the Airbus 320 and Boeing 737 series of jets, long the workhorses for airlines around the world.

With a flying range of up to 5,555 kilometers (3,451 miles), it is designed to compete head-to-head with its Airbus and Boeing rivals, and said to easily cover popular business and leisure routes from China such as Shanghai to Singapore and Beijing to Bangkok.

Good for China. The LEAP engine developed by U.S. and French engineers, to be assembled in China and to be operated in a joint venture with Ryan Air. ;)
Deep down I'm very superficial
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Tilting trains are cool, they can go up to 30% faster through curves. Early models had the tilt compensate for all the curve, which led to motion sickness (what you saw and what you felt did not match) but compensating for most but not all, solved the problem.

D40gvPWNx1c
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Who is making the best cars under $30k these days? Mrs. Hilaire wrecked her Prius. We're thinking maybe a Prius V, but have not been following except to note that electric cars don't seem scheduled for prime time until 2017.

What family car would you buy for under $30k?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:.

What family car would you buy for under $30k ?

Infiniti QX50

Excellent car

German cars, neither Mercedes nor Audi, anymore good cars

Buy Japanese cars

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Who is making the best cars under $30k these days? Mrs. Hilaire wrecked her Prius. We're thinking maybe a Prius V, but have not been following except to note that electric cars don't seem scheduled for prime time until 2017.

If you want to help save the planet, don't buy a hybrid, but what Americans call a "compact" with one of the new high performance small petrol (gasoline) engines. Both Ford and VW have brought out over here models (Focus, Golf) with 1 litre 3 cylinder engines, which are supercharged and turbocharged, fuel economy pretty much as good as a hybrid and better performance and handling ( I always thought that the Prius was a bit of a dog).

I presume that they are available in the US. A new Focus with their Ecoboost engine is around £17K ($25K) here, and cars tend to be cheaper in the US. I drive a Focus myself, an excellent car, but with a conventional 1.6 litre 4 cylinder engine.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Torchwood wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Who is making the best cars under $30k these days? Mrs. Hilaire wrecked her Prius. We're thinking maybe a Prius V, but have not been following except to note that electric cars don't seem scheduled for prime time until 2017.

If you want to help save the planet, don't buy a hybrid, but what Americans call a "compact" with one of the new high performance small petrol (gasoline) engines. Both Ford and VW have brought out over here models (Focus, Golf) with 1 litre 3 cylinder engines, which are supercharged and turbocharged, fuel economy pretty much as good as a hybrid and better performance and handling ( I always thought that the Prius was a bit of a dog).

I presume that they are available in the US. A new Focus with their Ecoboost engine is around £17K ($25K) here, and cars tend to be cheaper in the US. I drive a Focus myself, an excellent car, but with a conventional 1.6 litre 4 cylinder engine.
I liked my 205 Ford, but the metal was too thin. It accumulated dings constantly. The nice thing about the Prius was that it only fueling once a month.

We will look at the Focus. I like the simplicity of the electric, and living in Florida there is lots of sun but this seems like exactly the wrong time to to go electric. The tech will be so much better in 2018/19 the current crop may depreciate too quickle. A low cost conventional car seems like the car for the times if it is comfortable for a big driver.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

I liked my 205 Ford, but the metal was too thin. It accumulated dings constantly. The nice thing about the Prius was that it only fueling once a month.

We will look at the Focus. I like the simplicity of the electric, and living in Florida there is lots of sun but this seems like exactly the wrong time to to go electric. The tech will be so much better in 2018/19 the current crop may depreciate too quickle. A low cost conventional car seems like the car for the times if it is comfortable for a big driver.

Gas now less than $ 2 a gallon, probably will go lower and stay there for some time

QX50, a crossover, Quatro, V6 aluminum engine block, 375 HP .. in Canada C$ 35,000 (U$ 25,000)

Small cars good for Europe, in US you need a tank :lol:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

If I had to bet, I'd probably bet on fuel cells rather than batteries for electric cars in the future.

The energy density situation for batteries is little changed at the beginning of the 21st century from that at the beginning of the 20th century.

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

Gas now less than $ 2 a gallon, probably will go lower and stay there for some time

QX50, a crossover, Quatro, V6 aluminum engine block, 375 HP .. in Canada C$ 35,000 (U$ 25,000)

A few years ago, I had a rental Austin Mini Cooper in Chicago.

Great fun to drive, very convenient with regards to parking compared to the canonical SUV tank wannabe.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

Great fun to drive, very convenient with regards to parking compared to the canonical SUV tank wannabe.
I'm too big to drive a mini, but I did give my future ex-wife her first orgasm in the back of one back in the seventies. There's a lot to be said for leg power and cramped spaces.

Teresa of Ávila
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

QX50 is $35k US. I will look at them, though. I'm really trying to avoid financing though. Who makes Infinity? I know Lexus is Nissan and Accura is Honda but forget about Nissan.
Typhoon wrote:If I had to bet, I'd probably bet on fuel cells rather than batteries for electric cars in the future.

The energy density situation for batteries is little changed at the beginning of the 21st century from that at the beginning of the 20th century.

Maybe eventually. I really just need a car to go ten miles a day, and fuel cells are still pretty far out there.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

I'm too big to drive a mini, but I did give my future ex-wife her first orgasm in the back of one back in the seventies. There's a lot to be said for leg power and cramped spaces.
Indeed.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Torchwood wrote:

QX50 is $35k US. I will look at them, though. I'm really trying to avoid financing though. Who makes Infinity? I know Lexus is Nissan and Accura is Honda but forget about Nissan.
Infiniti is Nissan.
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:If I had to bet, I'd probably bet on fuel cells rather than batteries for electric cars in the future.

Maybe eventually. I really just need a car to go ten miles a day, and fuel cells are still pretty far out there.
Not a recommendation. Just a comment on the current electric battery car fad.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

saQUryL-fIE
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

k8tKtYXztzY
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The car search is leaning towards the Subaru Legacy. AWD, cool optical safety suite, boxer engine and substantial build quality. Free lifetime synthetic oil changes, too.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:The car search is leaning towards the Subaru Legacy. AWD, cool optical safety suite, boxer engine and substantial build quality. Free lifetime synthetic oil changes, too.
Looks like this year's model is jazzed up a bit.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:The car search is leaning towards the Subaru Legacy. AWD, cool optical safety suite, boxer engine and substantial build quality. Free lifetime synthetic oil changes, too.
The optical sensors automatically throttle the engine down if you approach an object too quickly and sound a warning, then apply the brakes. Blind spot detection. Other warnings and steering assist if you drift out of your lane.You get that plus AWD for the price of a standard FWD midsize car.

Not exciting or luxurious, but I think Subaru has trounced the competition in practicality and value.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
The optical sensors automatically throttle the engine down if you approach an object too quickly and sound a warning, then apply the brakes. Blind spot detection. Other warnings and steering assist if you drift out of your lane.You get that plus AWD for the price of a standard FWD midsize car.

Not exciting or luxurious, but I think Subaru has trounced the competition in practicality and value.
It is interesting how what would have been optional features on a high end luxury car in the past are now standard features on a good affordable workaday car.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

It is interesting how what would have been optional features on a high end luxury car in the past are now standard features on a good affordable workaday car.
They claim the self-driving car is about three years off. That would be great for interstate road trips and rush hour traffic.

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

H9Yww_nYuFA
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.