The Donald....the newest savior.....

manolo

Re: The Donald....the newest savior.....

Post by manolo »

Folks,

Mr Trump has brought an experienced politician onto his campaign trail.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/20/us/po ... .html?_r=0

Alex.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: Paglia makes doctrinaire feminists angry for pointing
uncomfortable realities. Seems like Dreher does the same.
Could be. But Dreher and you guys are 3 months behind everyone else at least. This was all already dealt with. I even did a thread on it myself you guys participated in, and apparently you couldn't cognate it.
Lo info insularity are such unsupported assertion posts.
So posts with some version of the “lo info” phrase will be deleted.
What a surprise :) .
Censorship isn't necessary
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: However, it is amusing to see ypu supportimg a candidate whose economic policies would meet with Endo’s approval.
No need to be amused. I laid all this out in a special thread months ago.

We'll let Endo speak for himself. Trump has given no indication of ditching capitalism for communism. We wants to alter some foreign trade policy, as we already discussed. Everything else is right out of the Reagan/Kemp playbook. Tax cuts and lo regulation for all.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Mr. Perfect wrote:My thoughts on Donald Trump. Unchanged.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3476
I wonder why this was deleted.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I did a special thread on my thoughts on Trump, which everyone was asking for, and I did it so I could be held accountable for what I said and not shift my views and also to have a handy summary for people not following along.

I'm wondering how this violated the SFR.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Outstanding HP. Thanks for posting.

Self-interest always trumps (there's that word again :D ) ideology, left or right.

"In the long run, we're all a bunch of me's!"
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:My thoughts on Donald Trump. Unchanged.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3476
I wonder why this was deleted.
In fact, it was not deleted, but merged. Poor you. So oppressed.
Mr. Perfect wrote:I did a special thread on my thoughts on Trump, which everyone was asking for, and I did it so I could be held accountable for what I said and not shift my views and also to have a handy summary for people not following along.

I'm wondering how this violated the SFR.
Redundant. Merged with the existing Trump thread.

No Super PACS here. One thread per candidate limit.

Btw, the proper place to complain about the unreasonable oppressive actions of the tyrannical Mods is in the Complaints thread.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote: "In the long run, we're all a bunch of me's!"
SM,

That is a beautiful concatenation of description and prescription. :)

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote: "In the long run, we're all a bunch of me's!"
SM,

That is a beautiful concatenation of description and prescription. :)

Alex.
Thanks Alex. In the politico/philosophico/religio world, I'm kinda like an idiott savant. ;)

Feel free to use that and attribute it to someone really smart or famous. :P

I'm pretty sure that is what Keynes meant to say. Me's die all the time, in theory, we never die.

We're all we's until the ante gets too high then we bolt for self-interest. Splains all those I have observed who are lefties or righties for a couple hours or a couple years and then switch sides.

cheers.
Doc

Post by Doc »

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Post by YMix »

In part this is because making sense isn’t really Palin’s style. But it’s also because there is no coherent defense of Donald Trump’s candidacy. His own argument is little more than a simple boast that he will make the country great, like it used to be, followed by a series of insults and a discussion of his poll numbers.

To the extent that he proposes anything resembling actual policies, they tend to be implausible fantasies, designed more as insults and power plays than ideas for governance. His speeches go long on personal boasting, and he dismisses most questions of governance by appealing to his own innate ability to overcome obstaces. You cannot make a reasoned case for Trump, because there is no such case to be made.

Palin’s support was incoherent, then, in part because that’s how she is, and part because it could be no other way. Support for Trump is not based on reason or argument or logic or even a sense of what Trump would actually do as president, but on his personal appeal as a businessman and political entertainer, and a related sense of how and what the country would be. It is not really a political campaign at all, so much as an extended act of fantasy and wish-fulfillment for both him and his supporters. Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is Donald Trump fanfic, with Donald Trump as the Mary Sue.

In a way, then, Palin’s speech was the perfect endorsement for Donald Trump’s campaign: an incoherent mess of angry, resentful sentiment, delivered in a way designed to provide the maximum in media spectacle. Palin effectively—and, okay, somewhat poetically—captured and amplified the identity-politics-driven nonsense that feeds both the candidate and his supporters.
http://reason.com/blog/2016/01/20/sarah ... speech-was
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

' National Review '
Dump Trump

Trump is a philosophically unmoored political opportunist who would trash the broad conservative ideological consensus within the GOP in favor of a free-floating populism with strong-man overtones.

Donald Trump is a menace to American conservatism who would take the work of generations and trample it underfoot in behalf of a populism as heedless and crude as the Donald himself.

Conservative party, GOP, is destroyed, brick by brick :lol:

Zack Morris

Post by Zack Morris »

With St. Joan of the Tundra's epic ballad of an endorsement, this Trump thing and the imminent GOP implosion just keeps getting better and better! I hope you're ready, all you teabaggers and teetotalers; you physicists and foreigners; armchair climatologists and amateur options traders; you with the fingers that hammer incessantly on your keyboards! Cling on to your guns because this ride is about to get crazy!

Well, at least until the Iowa caucuses when Trumps non-voters fail to show up at the polls :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Zack, AZ, Ymix You've been Trumped.

:lol:
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
manolo

Post by manolo »

Simple Minded wrote:
We're all we's until the ante gets too high then we bolt for self-interest.
SM,

You express the conservative mindset very clearly.

Alex.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
SM,

Alex.
:D Thank you Alex. I'm taking that as the highest of compliments. Very kind of you. :D

This is also the mindset of every professed "Liberal" or "human" I have ever met. ;) Makes "all of us" both predictable and stable.

Very few people voluntarily spend as much money and time on "them" as he/she does on themselves or "their" families over the "long run." Mother Teresa's are rare, and not much of a voting block.

I find watching Fred preach or practice, and the resulting continual flux of "me" and "we," or "left" and "right," to be extremely entertaining. Very few purists exist in my experience. IMSMO, less difference between Liberals and Conservatives, then between preachers and practitioners!

http://quillette.com/2015/12/04/rebelli ... ereotypes/

Still no crated R1 on my door step..... with a note that says "SM, Enjoy! Alex" :( ;) :P
Last edited by Simple Minded on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
In part this is because making sense isn’t really Palin’s style. But it’s also because there is no coherent defense of Donald Trump’s candidacy. His own argument is little more than a simple boast that he will make the country great, like it used to be, followed by a series of insults and a discussion of his poll numbers.

To the extent that he proposes anything resembling actual policies, they tend to be implausible fantasies, designed more as insults and power plays than ideas for governance. His speeches go long on personal boasting, and he dismisses most questions of governance by appealing to his own innate ability to overcome obstaces. You cannot make a reasoned case for Trump, because there is no such case to be made.

Palin’s support was incoherent, then, in part because that’s how she is, and part because it could be no other way. Support for Trump is not based on reason or argument or logic or even a sense of what Trump would actually do as president, but on his personal appeal as a businessman and political entertainer, and a related sense of how and what the country would be. It is not really a political campaign at all, so much as an extended act of fantasy and wish-fulfillment for both him and his supporters. Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is Donald Trump fanfic, with Donald Trump as the Mary Sue.

In a way, then, Palin’s speech was the perfect endorsement for Donald Trump’s campaign: an incoherent mess of angry, resentful sentiment, delivered in a way designed to provide the maximum in media spectacle. Palin effectively—and, okay, somewhat poetically—captured and amplified the identity-politics-driven nonsense that feeds both the candidate and his supporters.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/01/20/sarah ... speech-was
YMix,

Welcome to POTUS campaigns...This part sounds like it was photocopied from the 2008 Obama campaign (winning) playbook:
....Support for Trump is not based on reason or argument or logic or even a sense of what Trump would actually do as president, but on his personal appeal as a..... political entertainer, and a related sense of how and what the country would be. It is not really a political campaign at all, so much as an extended act of fantasy and wish-fulfillment for both him and his supporters. Donald Trump’s presidential campaign is Donald Trump fanfic, with Donald Trump as the Mary Sue.

Both sides know there are producing reality TV for the lowest common denominator. When one side wins, the other copies their formula.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Zack Morris wrote:With St. Joan of the Tundra's epic ballad of an endorsement, this Trump thing and the imminent GOP implosion just keeps getting better and better! I hope you're ready, all you teabaggers and teetotalers; you physicists and foreigners; armchair climatologists and amateur options traders; you with the fingers that hammer incessantly on your keyboards! Cling on to your guns because this ride is about to get crazy!
I hear that there is another Snowmageddon coming. Careful you don't freeze way up high there on your pedestal. Stay warm.
Zack Morris wrote: Well, at least until the Iowa caucuses when Trumps non-voters fail to show up at the polls :lol:
Never underestimate a confederacy of dunces.

As for "armchair", well, some of us actually understand how the sausages are made and what goes inside.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
SM,

Alex.
Have you given your pension to the poor and renounced all personal belongings Alex?
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
I hear that there is another Snowmageddon coming. Careful you don't freeze up there on your pedestal. Stay warm.
Have you seen a graph of Snowmageddon's over the last 300 years? It makes the hockey stick graph look flat as a pool table!
Typhoon wrote:
Never underestimate a confederacy of dunces.
Now that they have conquered global warming, they have momentum on their side. Never bet against the trend.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:
manolo wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
SM,

Alex.
Have you given your pension to the poor and renounced all personal belongings Alex?
Doc,

I have friends who profess to be Liberals. Every single one of them has a net worth that is above average. How the hell is that possible?

Preach left, practice right? :shock:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Many western eurocommies were/are upper-middle class or higher.

The extreme, terrorist, versions such as the Italian Red Brigade and the German Baader-Meinhof were mostly from the upper-class intelligentsia.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Baader Not Getting Better.............

Post by monster_gardener »

Typhoon wrote:Many western eurocommies were/are upper-middle class or higher.

The extreme, terrorist, versions such as the Italian Red Brigade and the German Baader-Meinhof were mostly from the upper-class intelligentsia.
Thank You VERY Much for your post, Typhoon

Baader-Meinhof gang.........

Hadn't thought about them in a while........

So did a Google expecting to read Wiki about them.........

Nope!

They 're still in operation....

More or less ;)
The militant Baader-Meinhof group which terrorised Germany for two decades has made a dramatic comeback after three of its ageing members were accused of coming out of hiding to rob a security van with Kalashnikov rifles and a grenade launcher in a botched raid.

The raid by members of Baader-Meinhof, also known as the Red Army Faction, failed when the former members failed to get the vehicle’s doors open.
The trio are also thought to have been behind a similar botched raid in Wolfsburg shortly after Christmas last year. Their attempt to stop the van failed.

Their last successful raid was in 1999 when the trio stole the equivalent of €500,000 from a security van loaded with cash in the town of Recklinghausen.

But now operating as more or less traditional capitalist bandits...... :lol:
It is thought the trio of Ernst Volker Staub, 58, Daniela Klette, 57, and Burkard Garweg are staging robberies to gain an income rather than to fund terrorist attacks

Article also endorses what you wrote..........
The RAF murdered more than 30 people in an anti-capitalist terror campaign waged throughout West Germany in the 1970s and 1980s. The gang’s members were mostly radicalised young members of West Germany’s prosperous post-war middle class.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 21966.html
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
YMix

Re: Baader Not Getting Better.............

Post by YMix »

monster_gardener wrote:The gang’s members were mostly radicalised young members of West Germany’s prosperous post-war middle class.
Marx told you people that the middle class is dangerous, but did you listen? No, you didn't!
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Doc wrote:.

Zack, AZ, Ymix You've been Trumped.

:lol:

The Potemkin Village of
Conservatism

The Republican party has become home to a growing number of Americans who want to burn down our political and economic systems and hang our cultural elites. They’re tired of being policed by political correctness, often with the complicity of supposed conservatives. They don’t like Republican candidates who denounce them as “takers” with no future in the global economy. And they suspect, rightly, that the Chamber of Commerce will sell them down the river if it adds to the bottom line.

All true, but it’s sad that this frustrated cohort now fixes on Trump as its savior.

The fact is, for all the problems we may have with Wall Street or Washington, our biggest problems are systemic — the disruptions caused by technological progress and globalization, mass migration, family breakdown and so on. There’s no all-controlling Wizard of Oz to slay.

Put simply, nobody in American elite life — not in politics, not in finance, not in the intellectual world — has been able to find a convincing explanation for the transformative negative changes that characterize our time. These changes are spiritually and possibly literally earth-shattering. The family is falling apart and being redefined at the same time. Incomes have stagnated. Small stateless actors with global reach due to the Internet threaten the disruption and destruction of everyday life in places major (Paris) and minor (San Bernardino). And for many the ethnic complexion of America is changing in ways it has never changed before.

So along come Trump and Sanders, and what do they say? They both say the system doesn’t work. Trump says it’s because losers are in charge and that the goal needs to be “winning.” Sanders says the system is rigged, billionaires run everything and must be stripped of their power (and money), and bankers must be sent to jail by the dozens if not hundreds. Note that the key to understanding these appeals is that they are really not all that partisan. Trump doesn’t say Obama is to blame, though he says Obama is a “disaster” — but then, so was Bush in his estimation. Sanders doesn’t really say the problem is recalcitrant Republicans but rather the behavior of a superclass of people who stand above politics and manipulate it like puppeteers manipulate marionettes.

Their meta-message is this: The problems are bigger than the ideological choices of the guy in the White House or the sclerosis of the Senate. They are systemic — not politically systemic, but civilizationally systemic. Trump said in the last debate that he was content to be “a vessel for anger.” Sanders yells a lot in debate, thus signaling anger.

But this goes beyond anger. They are, in effect, saying, “We better do some extremely large things fast or this country is finished.” And finished fast. Like now. Like by 2020.

Again: nobody knows what to do. But people want something to be done.

Trump or no Trump, a lot of conservatives are going to vote Republican this fall with no expectation that it’s going to do a damn bit of good in terms of turning around the fragmentation and stagnation of the country. This is not simply because the GOP is mostly useless (as are the Democrats), but because the sources of our disorder are not really political, except insofar as they have to do with the limits of the liberal order, which the GOP and the Democrats both embody.

Much more at the link

GOP guys should read this