Russia

YMix

Re: Russia

Post by YMix »

An excellent article. I highly recommend it.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

YMix wrote:

seconded

Pretty much what I'm sayin since long time

We must be very grateful there is a Putin .. alternative would be Russia sinking into "chaos", Islamist taking over .. like Tatars ruling Russian long ago .. that would have spill over to all ME, destroy Turkey and Arabs and beyond .. consequence would be devastating to Europe

Neocons are either "idi*ts" or "anarchist" .. "Bill Kristol & company" in reality (ex communist) anarchists, and thinking, Joe the idi*t :lol: :lol:

Thanx for the article, YMIx and "Happy New Year" .. what is the best Romanian red wine ?

And .. YMix .. pls paste a few links to those wonderful Romanian Soprano Singers, the lady ones

monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

Islamist Turks Selling Rope to Russia..........

Post by monster_gardener »

YMix wrote:
Thank You VERY Much for your post, YMix.

Good article.......

And I found this interesting/amusing............
Much to my own surprise, Russia surged sea lift by reflagging Turkish commercial ships to support its increasing troop presence and base expansions.

To paraphrase Lenin......... ;)

Seems that the Islamists/Turks were willing to sell the rope to hang the Islamists/Turks to their Russian enemy.......... ;) :lol:

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quote_blo ... Quote.068C
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

British Inquiry Implicates Russia, Putin In Death Of Ex-Agent Litvinenko
A British inquiry has concluded that the Russian government was behind the 2006 poisoning death of former Russian security agent Aleksandr Litvinenko and that President Vladimir Putin "probably approved" the killing.

The findings, issued on January 21, said that there is a "strong probability" that it was carried out by Russian citizens Dmitry Kovtun and Andrei Lugovoi acting under orders from Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB).

British investigators concluded that Litvinenko, 44, had ingested radioactive polonium-210 while drinking tea in a luxury London hotel with Kovtun and Lugovoi. He died in a London hospital three weeks later, on November 23, 2006.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:British Inquiry Implicates Russia, Putin In Death Of Ex-Agent Litvinenko
A British inquiry has concluded that the Russian government was behind the 2006 poisoning death of former Russian security agent Aleksandr Litvinenko and that President Vladimir Putin "probably approved" the killing.

The findings, issued on January 21, said that there is a "strong probability" that it was carried out by Russian citizens Dmitry Kovtun and Andrei Lugovoi acting under orders from Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB).

British investigators concluded that Litvinenko, 44, had ingested radioactive polonium-210 while drinking tea in a luxury London hotel with Kovtun and Lugovoi. He died in a London hospital three weeks later, on November 23, 2006.
The article suggests Litvinenko was a double agent.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

The article suggests that Cameron is trying to paint Putin as a murderer in order to sink Corbyn. This is about domestic politics, not an actual investigation.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

YMix wrote:The article suggests that Cameron is trying to paint Putin as a murderer in order to sink Corbyn. This is about domestic politics, not an actual investigation.
Good observation.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
YMix wrote:The article suggests that Cameron is trying to paint Putin as a murderer in order to sink Corbyn. This is about domestic politics, not an actual investigation.
Good observation.
I don't agree. If this was a one-off incident, then perhaps.

However, there is a well established pattern of the murder of prominent figures opposed to the Putin regime.

Grauniad | Litvinenko’s murder shows why Putin’s Russia will never prosper
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Typhoon wrote:I don't agree. If this was a one-off incident, then perhaps.
I wasn't referring to Putin's regime. I don't think Cameron gives a fu*k about the fact that some random Russian agent was killed by his former pals. His interest is limited to how he can use this investigation. To wit:

KGB killers, a thug in the Kremlin and the shaming silence of Comrade Corbyn

Great Britain's relations with Russia are not particularly warm anyway, so there's no downside for Cameron.
Alexis

Do not smoke!

Post by Alexis »

Anti-tobacco campaign in Russia:

Do not smoke
Tobacco kills as many as Obama

...That's cute.
YMix

Post by YMix »

A better version:

Smoking kills
more people than Obama.
Even though he kills a lot of people.

Don't smoke.
Don't be like Obama.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

All the wit and subtlety of an elephant in heat.

Just like in the former SU.
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Typhoon wrote:Just like in the former SU.
Actually, said my wife - who should know - the Soviet Union in its latter years did have anti-American caricatures, but they were not personalized. It was the stereotypical "Uncle Sam" who was the target, not any actual person like a US president. So this is more acid than the mellower years of the USSR.

Well, to be fair, at that time, there weren't any US troops in Ukraine, nor any US-supported coup in Kiev.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Alexis wrote:
Actually, said my wife - who should know - the Soviet Union in its latter years did have anti-American caricatures, but they were not personalized. It was the stereotypical "Uncle Sam" who was the target, not any actual person like a US president. So this is more acid than the mellower years of the USSR.

Well, to be fair, at that time, there weren't any US troops in Ukraine, nor any US-supported coup in Kiev.
Interesting. That personalization parallels what has happened here, IIRC. Pre-Clinton, no sitting POTUS ever criticized his successors. Pre-Obama, no sitting POTUS ever denigrated a specific newscaster/commentator/news channel, or a candidate running for POTUS in an election in which he was not participating.

Several years ago I noticed that Republican and Democrat was no longer shown on campaign signs, only the candidate.

Change in social mood, and thus marketing, or the magnitude of the ego's involved?
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:Several years ago I noticed that Republican and Democrat was no longer shown on campaign signs, only the candidate.

Change in social mood, and thus marketing, or the magnitude of the ego's involved?
its the death of ideology, the death of ism's.

we are back to the good ole days, strong king or weak king.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

It's an effect of the duopoly system. Instead of designating political ideologies, Republican/Democrat mean Friend/Enemy because the system lacks alternatives.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:It's an effect of the duopoly system. Instead of designating political ideologies, Republican/Democrat mean Friend/Enemy because the system lacks alternatives.
I can see that. When the "defined ideologies" are no longer used as guidance, or nor difference between the two discerned (especially by us tri's :P ), the value of the label is little, and perhaps even a negative. Better to market as "Vote for Fred, he's not as evil as Joe!"

According to some, more self-define as I than D or R now.

I think the idea of personalities/celebrity as brands is also a factor. We are all brands who publish now.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
YMix wrote:It's an effect of the duopoly system. Instead of designating political ideologies, Republican/Democrat mean Friend/Enemy because the system lacks alternatives.
I can see that. When the "defined ideologies" are no longer used as guidance, or nor difference between the two discerned (especially by us tri's :P ), the value of the label is little, and perhaps even a negative. Better to market as "Vote for Fred, he's not as evil as Joe!"

According to some, more self-define as I than D or R now.

I think the idea of personalities/celebrity as brands is also a factor. We are all brands who publish now.
http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/

this is our current prime ministers website - not one mention of his political party to be seen ! you can read the entire front page and not know who he is the leader of :)
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

Speaking of gopniki and assorted... people.

EGDvVCzM7C0
YMix

Post by YMix »

I might have posted this before, but it bears repeating:
William Perry, who was defence secretary in Bill Clinton’s administration from 1994 to 1997, emphasised that in the past five years it has been Vladimir Putin’s military interventions in Ukraine, Syria and elsewhere that have driven the downward spiral in east-west relations.

But Perry added that during his term in office, cooperation between the two countries’ militaries had improved rapidly just a few years after the fall of the Soviet Union and that these gains were initially squandered more as a result of US than Russian actions.

“In the last few years, most of the blame can be pointed at the actions that Putin has taken. But in the early years I have to say that the United States deserves much of the blame,” Perry said, speaking at a Guardian Live event in London.

“Our first action that really set us off in a bad direction was when Nato started to expand, bringing in eastern European nations, some of them bordering Russia. At that time we were working closely with Russia and they were beginning to get used to the idea that Nato could be a friend rather than an enemy... but they were very uncomfortable about having Nato right up on their border and they made a strong appeal for us not to go ahead with that.”

In his memoir, My Journey at the Nuclear Brink, Perry writes that he argued for a slower expansion of Nato so as not to alienate Russia during the initial period of post-Soviet courtship and cooperation. Richard Holbrooke, the US diplomat, led the opposing argument at the time, and was ultimately supported by the vice-president, Al Gore, who argued “we could manage the problems this would create with Russia”.

Perry said the decision reflected a contemptuous attitude among US officials towards the troubled former superpower.

“It wasn’t that we listened to their argument and said he don’t agree with that argument,” he said. “Basically the people I was arguing with when I tried to put the Russian point... the response that I got was really: ‘Who cares what they think? They’re a third-rate power.’ And of course that point of view got across to the Russians as well. That was when we started sliding down that path.”

Perry considered resigning over the issue “but I concluded that my resignation would be misinterpreted as opposition to Nato membership that I greatly favoured – just not right away”.

He sees the second major misstep by Washington DC as the Bush administration’s decision to deploy a ballistic missile defence system in eastern Europe in the face of determined opposition from Moscow. Perry said: “We rationalised [the system] as being to defend against an Iranian nuclear missile – they don’t have any but that’s another issue. But the Russians said ‘Wait a bit, this weakens our deterrence.’ The issue again wasn’t discussed on the basis of its merits – it was just ‘who cares about what Russia thinks.’ We dismissed it again.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:Several years ago I noticed that Republican and Democrat was no longer shown on campaign signs, only the candidate.

Indeed.

NY Rev Books | Putin: The Rule of the [Mafia] Family
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:
noddy wrote:

Indeed.

NY Rev Books | Putin: The Rule of the [Mafia] Family
the proof of this theory will be the post putin outcome.

* all the underlings squabbling in a borderline civil war == putin was the strongman godfather holding it all together.
* smoothly replaced with new guy == putin was the figurehead on a political organisation that is bigger than him.

ive read so many articles claiming one or the other, my instincts are towards the latter as the gorbie chaos should (might?) provide clear incentive for the russian elite to not let things get that bad again.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Alexis wrote:

Interesting. That personalization parallels what has happened here, IIRC. Pre-Clinton, no sitting POTUS ever criticized his successors. Pre-Obama, no sitting POTUS ever denigrated a specific newscaster/commentator/news channel, or a candidate running for POTUS in an election in which he was not participating.

Several years ago I noticed that Republican and Democrat was no longer shown on campaign signs, only the candidate.

Simple substitution of colors and symbols for words.

Teresa of Ávila
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

e6XjqvlbDfg

Putin cracked a joke, hinting that America’s top diplomat may have brought money “to haggle with.”

“But today when I saw the footage of you going down the plane and carrying your luggage I was a bit upset… On the one hand, it’s quite a democratic way of conduct, but on the other hand, I thought, probably, the situation in the United States is not that good. There is no one to assist the Secretary of State carry his luggage,” Putin said.

“Then I thought there was something in that briefcase of yours you couldn’t trust anyone else with. Probably you brought some money to haggle with on key matters”.

:lol:

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:e6XjqvlbDfg

Putin cracked a joke, hinting that America’s top diplomat may have brought money “to haggle with.”

“But today when I saw the footage of you going down the plane and carrying your luggage I was a bit upset… On the one hand, it’s quite a democratic way of conduct, but on the other hand, I thought, probably, the situation in the United States is not that good. There is no one to assist the Secretary of State carry his luggage,” Putin said.

“Then I thought there was something in that briefcase of yours you couldn’t trust anyone else with. Probably you brought some money to haggle with on key matters”.

:lol:

Hoping, actually . . .

BBC | Panama Papers: Putin associates linked to 'money laundering'

And in other news, water is wet.