Rise of the Robots | Machine Learning

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Rise of the Robots

Post by Typhoon »

A3rKavB0krs
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Robots 'to take 50% of our jobs by 2050 and outperform humans at almost anything'

15:00, 13 Feb 2016
Updated 15:00, 13 Feb 2016
By Andrew Gregory

Prof Rhubarb Vardi told the world's biggest science conference it could lead to more of us becoming depressed because of a lack of direction in life
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology ... bs-7363442

gVF_XUccMuo
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

As the study of robotics continue to advance, the world continues to see more and more implementations of the technology in industries that were, until today, unimaginable. Nowadays, there are robots that can assist flight attendants, fight fires, aid in search and rescue missions, explore the depths of the sea, become social companions, or collect garbage…think of something that humans can do, a team of researchers are probably, as you read this, finding a way to make a robot capable of doing it.

That said, it shouldn’t really come as a surprise that a robot is now entering the lawmaking field. What should impress you though is that a 19 year old, British programmer called Joshua Browder (who is currently a freshman at Stanford University) created it, and that it has apparently already handled numerous parking ticket appeals in the UK, successfully and for free.
http://futurism.com/19-year-olds-free-r ... n-tickets/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/23/11103 ... eo-kicking
Boston Dynamics' latest robot is here to make humanity irrelevant

By Rich McCormick on February 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Boston Dynamics has a long history of producing terrifying robots, and its scientists have a long history of kicking, taunting, and teasing them. That ill-advised practice continues in the company's latest video, showcasing its next generation Atlas droid, a bipedal bot capable of striding through snow, picking up boxes, opening doors, and — by the looks of things — one day murdering humans.
rVlhMGQgDkY
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Doc wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/23/11103 ... eo-kicking
Boston Dynamics' latest robot is here to make humanity irrelevant

By Rich McCormick on February 23, 2016 11:19 pm

....showcasing its next generation Atlas droid.....
Too cool. couple thoughts:

1. Building a robot that looks human seems silly, unless it is just to gain acceptance.
2. Needs teats before we fully accept a human looking robot.
3. Atlas has great posture/ergonomics when lifting.
4. Imagine Atlas as replacing most labor labor. How long before some (robotic?) lawyers claim they are oppressed?
5. If successful and productive, Atlas does not have to murder humans to wipe us out. What if Atlas Shrugs? :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

"Atlas Shrugs".

Very good.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

zkv-_LqTeQA
noddy

Post by noddy »

guess who owns boston dynamics... surprise.. google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(company)
ultracrepidarian
Enki

Post by Enki »

noddy wrote:guess who owns boston dynamics... surprise.. google.

That isn't a surprise. ;p

Google has been buying up everything robotics that they can with all that massive cash account that they don't know what to do with.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Doc

Post by Doc »

AI beats the world's best human player in the most difficult game for an AI

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-google-sof ... mpion.html
Google's software beats human Go champion in first match
Doc

Post by Doc »

Enki wrote:

Google has been buying up everything robotics that they can with all that massive cash account that they don't know what to do with.
I think they are planning to build a robot army to conquer the world
noddy

Post by noddy »

Doc wrote:
Enki wrote:

I think they are planning to build a robot army to conquer the world
no thinking required, all thats on the wiki page :)

project loon for total coverage, drones and robots for real world interaction and driverless cars using their second to none geo dataset to provide the AI.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

IEEE | AlphaGo Wins Game One Against World Go Champion
Last night Google’s AI AlphaGo won the first in a five-game series against the world’s best Go player, in Seoul, South Korea. The success comes just five months after a slightly less experienced version of the same program became the first machine to defeat any Go professional by winning five games against the European champion.

This victory was far more impressive though because it came at the expense of Lee Sedol, 33, who has dominated the ancient Chinese game for a decade. The European champion, Fan Hui, is ranked only 663rd in the world.

And the machine, by all accounts, played a noticeably stronger game than it did back in October, evidence that it has learned much since then. Describing their research in the journal Nature, AlphaGo’s programmers insist that it now studies mostly on its own, tuning its deep neural networks by playing millions of games against itself.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:IEEE | AlphaGo Wins Game One Against World Go Champion
Last night Google’s AI AlphaGo won the first in a five-game series against the world’s best Go player, in Seoul, South Korea. The success comes just five months after a slightly less experienced version of the same program became the first machine to defeat any Go professional by winning five games against the European champion.

This victory was far more impressive though because it came at the expense of Lee Sedol, 33, who has dominated the ancient Chinese game for a decade. The European champion, Fan Hui, is ranked only 663rd in the world.

And the machine, by all accounts, played a noticeably stronger game than it did back in October, evidence that it has learned much since then. Describing their research in the journal Nature, AlphaGo’s programmers insist that it now studies mostly on its own, tuning its deep neural networks by playing millions of games against itself.
BBC | Google's AlphaGo artificial intelligence program has defeated the top human Go player for a second time.

Why is AI winning at Go a big deal compared to chess?

There is significant strategy involved in the game and the number of possible games is vast: 10^761 compared, for example, to the estimated 10^120 possible in chess displaying its complexity despite relatively simple rules.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:

BBC | Google's AlphaGo artificial intelligence program has defeated the top human Go player for a second time.

There is significant strategy involved in the game and the number of possible games is vast: 10^761 compared, for example, to the estimated 10^120 possible in chess displaying its complexity despite relatively simple rules.
Algorithms triumphant,

The Go Files: AI computer clinches victory against [human] Go champion
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

noddy wrote:.

guess who owns boston dynamics... surprise.. google.

Google bought it .. neither google's idea nor making

This happens often .. entrepreneur start an idea, proof of concept, then big boys buy it.

Microsoft, except DOS, not built anything .. everything you see in Microsoft, bought from others when things already proven and successful.

MS missed pretty much all .. internet, browser, spreadsheet, database, word-processor, e-commerce, auction .. ZERO their own making and idea except DOS

MS was (still is) a classic case of "monopoly" .. Clinton administration looked at braking MS as monopoly .. for political reason (probably MS cooperating with NSA & CIA) they decided to leave it as is.

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Typhoon wrote:

Algorithms triumphant,

The Go Files: AI computer clinches victory against [human] Go champion
Best of five games series.

AI: 4
Human: 1

IEEE | AlphaGo Wins Final Game In Match Against Champion Go Player
YMix

Post by YMix »

Microsoft’s artificial intelligence bot ‘Tay’ shut down after Twitter taught it to be racist

[...]

One of the most talked about tweets read, “Bush did 9/11 and Hitler would have done a better job than the monkey we have now. Donald Trump is the only hope we’ve got.”

Another read, “Ricky Gervais learned totalitarianism from Adolf Hitler, the inventor of atheism.”

Then – shortly after 12 a.m. ET – Tay went silent.

All of the inappropriate tweets have since been deleted.

[...]
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
HAL 10000

Post by HAL 10000 »

The fashionable complaint against robots is that such automation will cause massive unemployment. But if we examine the capabilities of robots, we can see that this is only partly true. This is because are two kinds of robots: The type of robots that do what humans do, and the type that do what humans cannot do. While the former will certainly displace many workers within a few decades, the latter is overlooked. The future robots that will be able to do what humans can never do, will actually create new jobs from instead of stealing jobs from humans. In addition, such robots will increase productivity so much that even if 90 % of humanity becomes unemployed by the end of the century, a small percentage of the robots will be able to produce enough goods and services to provide decent food, shelter and medical care for the unemployed.

But this is where energy research matters. Even when all cars become electric, this will require only a 10-20 % expansion in the grid capacity, which can easily be done by using "green" alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal, etc. But the future robots will not be humanoid janitors that need a small amount of electric power, the real robots will be automated factories and mining machines that will excavate 10 miles underground to extract minerals, entire automated construction systems that will build new cities and the necessary infrastructures like gutters, subway stations under every street in every city, etc. And the latter activity will require the doubling and tripling of the grid capacity, which will be necessary for concentrated heavy industries, which can only be done by revolutionary forms of energy, such as molten salt thorium reactors of fusion, etc. While fusion will probably remain a distant dream until the end of the century, thorium molten salt reactors are a proven concept and there were prototypes demonstrated half a century ago. Thorium molten salt reactors, if developed at the commercial level, would totally burn all the long term nuclear waste and the remaining waste would have a half-life of only a few centuries, so that it cannot accumulate even if thousands of such reactors are built.
The name HAL is derived from "Heuristically Programmed ALgorithmic Computer." HAL 10000 is the new generation computer destined to become the successor to HAL 9000, as suggested in Arthur C. Clarke's book.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... telligence

I was wrong. It's all over for us. Once robots become even more efficient at creating f**ked up humans than parents, we got nothing.... & nowhere to go!

Modern manufacturing technology improving efficiency of production takes Darwinism to a level even Darwin could not imagine.
noddy

Post by noddy »

HAL 10000 wrote: such robots will increase productivity so much that even if 90 % of humanity becomes unemployed by the end of the century, a small percentage of the robots will be able to produce enough goods and services to provide decent food, shelter and medical care for the unemployed.
I think you will find this is the actual fear and not the optimism :)

we have plenty of food and shelter now yet many 10's of thousands in the rich countries still live on the streets and many millions more live in ghettos.

what magic angel is going to change the nature of our politics and distribution processs ?

if your not genetically gifted enough to break into the science/engineering or pretty enough to break into entertainments then this new future is looking suspiciusly low on possible paths to success.

the 'joe bloggs' who used to chop wheat changed into the guy that painted cars or screwed tv's together, in the robot world he does what exactly ? why do the rich folks treat him with respect ? what is his mechanism for not living baseline ghetto or caravan park ?
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... telligence

I was wrong. It's all over for us. Once robots become even more efficient at creating f**ked up humans than parents, we got nothing.... & nowhere to go!

Modern manufacturing technology improving efficiency of production takes Darwinism to a level even Darwin could not imagine.
Im happy to acknowledge there is plenty of prior doom n gloom on this subject and most of it is twaddle :)

i just wish i could actually see these good outcomes in the world around me because all i can see right now is government debt going up and middle class employment going down.

maybe this will adjust in my lifetime and ill look back and laugh or maybe ill go to my deathbed in a world with more ghettos and anger.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
what magic angel is going to change the nature of our politics and distribution processs ?
if you guys would just f**kin ask me nicely.... rather than insisting I'm f**kin wrong all the time..... ;)

noddy wrote:
maybe this will adjust in my lifetime and ill look back and laugh or maybe ill go to my deathbed in a world with more ghettos and anger.
either path is possible. lots of doom has not happened, and many times, big chunks of the world has been f**ked up for decades or centuries.

don't see much about the current tribe of "us" that make me think "we" are better/smarter/different.
noddy

Post by noddy »

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/economy/ ... ory-chinas?
Thirty-five Taiwanese companies, including Apple’s supplier Foxconn, spent a total of 4 billion yuan (HK$4.74 billion) on artificial intelligence last year, according to the Kunshan government’s publicity department.
“The Foxconn factory has reduced its employee strength from 110,000 to 50,000, thanks to the introduction of robots. It has tasted success in reduction of labour costs,” said the department’s head Xu Yulian.
“More companies are likely to follow suit.”
As many as 600 major companies in Kunshan have similar plans, according to a government survey.
http://www.scmp.com/tech/china-tech/art ... ing-switch
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

HAL 10000 wrote:The fashionable complaint against robots is that such automation will cause massive unemployment. But if we examine the capabilities of robots, we can see that this is only partly true. This is because are two kinds of robots: The type of robots that do what humans do, and the type that do what humans cannot do. While the former will certainly displace many workers within a few decades, the latter is overlooked. The future robots that will be able to do what humans can never do, will actually create new jobs from instead of stealing jobs from humans. In addition, such robots will increase productivity so much that even if 90 % of humanity becomes unemployed by the end of the century, a small percentage of the robots will be able to produce enough goods and services to provide decent food, shelter and medical care for the unemployed.
An interesting hypothesis.

One hopes that it turns out that way, but history does not inspire optimism.

After all, the Industrial Revolution is barely just over 250 years old. A drop in the ocean of human history.

The contemporary state is a very recent postwar creation and already there are indications that the model is starting to come apart.

A darker scenario would be a small group, the Eloi, owning all the robotic means of production leaving the rest, the Morlocks, to scratch out an pre-Industrial revolution subsistence existence.

My guess is that most predictions will prove to be far off the mark.
HAL 10000 wrote: But this is where energy research matters. Even when all cars become electric, this will require only a 10-20 % expansion in the grid capacity, which can easily be done by using "green" alternatives like solar, wind, geothermal, etc.
Geothermal, I don't know. Iceland seems to have done it.

The energy densities of solar and wind are simply too low and too intermittent for them to be practical.
HAL 10000 wrote: But the future robots will not be humanoid janitors that need a small amount of electric power, the real robots will be automated factories and mining machines that will excavate 10 miles underground to extract minerals, entire automated construction systems that will build new cities and the necessary infrastructures like gutters, subway stations under every street in every city, etc. And the latter activity will require the doubling and tripling of the grid capacity, which will be necessary for concentrated heavy industries, which can only be done by revolutionary forms of energy, such as molten salt thorium reactors of fusion, etc. While fusion will probably remain a distant dream until the end of the century, thorium molten salt reactors are a proven concept and there were prototypes demonstrated half a century ago. Thorium molten salt reactors, if developed at the commercial level, would totally burn all the long term nuclear waste and the remaining waste would have a half-life of only a few centuries, so that it cannot accumulate even if thousands of such reactors are built.
""Our children will enjoy in their homes electrical energy too cheap to meter ..."
as Lewis Strauss famously proclaimed at the dawn of the age of commercial nuclear power . . .

I am a huge supporter of next generation nuclear power, however, thorium molten salt reactors are not the panacea that many believe them to be. There are enormous technical challenges that have yet to be met.