Japan

Heracleum Persicum

Re: Japan

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:.

Most of the great fortunes in S Korea today, such as Samsung, Lotte, and Hyundai, and former influential politicians got their start collaborating with the Japanese colonial administrators and/or serving the Imperial Japanese Army.

True

Not only Korea but pretty much all in that space

Interesting to know, how important was Japan in industrialization of present China

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Very.

Both directly and by proxy - Taiwan.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

FT | Kyoto: Japanese hub that has led start-up sector for decades
Beautiful city with strong self-belief in its skills, superiority, and ability to foster innovation.
:wink:
They play a long game in Kyoto, and there is no use expecting to do otherwise.
British understatement.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum

Japan’s Abe calls for Putin to be brought in from the cold
Russian help crucial to tackling Middle East crises

In an interview with Nikkei and the Financial Times, Mr Abe said he was willing to go to Moscow as this year’s chair of the Group of Seven advanced economies, or to invite the Russian president to Tokyo.

“As chair of the G7, I need to seek solutions regarding the stability of the region as well as the whole world,” he said, noting Japan’s ongoing territorial dispute with Russia over the Kuril Islands. “I believe appropriate dialogue with Russia, appropriate dialogue with president Putin is very important.”

Putin gaining status by day

Heracleum Persicum

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-japan- ... KKCN0V30N6

Japan's 2015 oil imports fell to the lowest since 1988, reflecting the country's declining population and low economic growth while at the same time its natural gas imports fell for the first time since the Fukushima nuclear disaster.

Yet in the same year that the world agreed to combat climate change, Japan's utilities continued to increase the use of the cheapest but dirtiest fossil fuel, ramping up coal imports to a record.

Alexis

Japan wants to build its own stealth fighter

Post by Alexis »

Demonstrator "X-2" was unveiled yesterday.

Japan used to be very much interested by F-22, however the US decided they would refuse to export it even to close allies.

So they seem to want building their own.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

I assume that the developers are focusing on the stealthiness of the coating as the geometry does not strike me as especially stealthy with regards to radar cross-section.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:.

I assume that the developers are focusing on the stealthiness of the coating as the geometry does not strike me as especially stealthy with regards to radar cross-section.

"Stealth" just a "catch word" .. no such thing as "stealth".

Serbians shot down "a few" American "stealth" fighter jets Clinton time, Iranians landed CIA "stealth" drone flying deep into Iran, "intact" (Iran was following the CIA drone already over US Afghan base).

Why all this ? ?

Reason is, Jet fighters, in a fight against a modern "enemy" are worthless .. now, anti aircraft missiles can shoot any fighter from 100s of miles away .. Russia SS-500 (the latest version) can shoot down "everything", no ifs and buts.

Jet fighters (or bombers) only viable against 3rd world opponents .. Like Russia fighting ISIS or Americans bombing Libya or Saddam or Israeli dropping bomb on Gaza woman and Children .. Russian SS-400 Batteries in Syria can shoot down even a "pigeon" before taking off from any point in Israel.

Same with American and Chinese systems.

Heracleum Persicum

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Why is lightning coming out of the volcano?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
YMix

Post by YMix »

Angry kami.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Why is lightning coming out of the volcano?
Kaiju, of course.

_____

Large static electricity discharges.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/03/flash-glass-lightning-inside-volcanic-ash-plumes-create-glassy-spherules
Lightning is often seen around volcanic eruptions and their resulting ash plumes. One common type results when individual particles of ash (actually broken rock) violently rub against each other, generating huge amounts of static electricity. Even though each discharge lasts only a few milliseconds, temperatures inside and near the bolt can approach a hellish 30,000°C—more than enough to melt fine bits of ash, researchers say.
Sakurajima blows it's top on a fairly regular basis.

That is it 50 km from a nuclear power plant is irrelevant to the plant. The city of Kagoshima, immediately across the bay, is another issue.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Well, it looks awesome.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Well, it looks awesome.
That it certainly does.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nippon - Hideki | The Olympic Stadium and the Anatomy of Incompetence
Prime Minister Abe Shinzō has finally pulled the plug on a controversial Olympic stadium plan that seemed to epitomize irresponsible government spending, but the uproar is far from over. Katō Hideki, a former Ministry of Finance official and a longtime critic of Japan’s bureaucratic and political culture, analyzes the roots and implications of the stadium fiasco.
The third structural problem is an inability to change course, even when the gravity of their mistake becomes glaringly apparent. Japanese officials are so worried about angering their own superiors and colleagues that they never stop to think what damage—catastrophic in some cases—their inertia might cause the nation as a whole.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Nippon - Hideki | The Olympic Stadium and the Anatomy of Incompetence
Prime Minister Abe Shinzō has finally pulled the plug on a controversial Olympic stadium plan that seemed to epitomize irresponsible government spending, but the uproar is far from over. Katō Hideki, a former Ministry of Finance official and a longtime critic of Japan’s bureaucratic and political culture, analyzes the roots and implications of the stadium fiasco.
The third structural problem is an inability to change course, even when the gravity of their mistake becomes glaringly apparent. Japanese officials are so worried about angering their own superiors and colleagues that they never stop to think what damage—catastrophic in some cases—their inertia might cause the nation as a whole.
You guys should have stopped at Deming.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Nippon - Hideki | The Olympic Stadium and the Anatomy of Incompetence
You guys should have stopped at Deming.
Deming was brilliant for mass production manufacturing.

Rather, it's the ossification of society.
YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Nonc Hilaire

Cacahuete Estilo Japones

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Bought a tube of these Japanese style peanuts made in Mexico today. Like peanuts in a fried shell. Delicious.

Excellent, but overpriced. It's nice to see respect for common American foodstuffs. This is the start of something good.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Re: Cacahuete Estilo Japones

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:Bought a tube of these Japanese style peanuts made in Mexico today. Like peanuts in a fried shell. Delicious.

Excellent, but overpriced. It's nice to see respect for common American foodstuffs. This is the start of something good.
You had me rather puzzled as to what Japanese style peanuts you were referring to . . . fortunately there is Wikipedia for such questions.
Despite the name, Japanese peanuts are unknown in Japan.
Japanese peanuts were invented by Yoshigei Nakatani, a Japanese immigrant In Mexico, in 1945.
They do look and sound tasty. Itadakimasu.
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Cacahuete Estilo Japones

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote:Bought a tube of these Japanese style peanuts made in Mexico today. Like peanuts in a fried shell. Delicious.

You had me rather puzzled as to what Japanese style peanuts you were referring to . . . fortunately there is Wikipedia for such questions.
Despite the name, Japanese peanuts are unknown in Japan.
Japanese peanuts were invented by Yoshigei Nakatani, a Japanese immigrant In Mexico, in 1945.
They do look and sound tasty. Itadakimasu.
The coating keeps the salt and oil inside so you don't have to wash your hands after. Much better for cars, touchscreens and entertaining.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus

Post by Ammianus »

Hey Colonel,

Saw these recent pieces on the retrospective about the Fukushima disaster. I am so very glad you were so very right 5 years ago. Back then everything was truly under control, and we were all panicking for no reason! You were truly the horse's mouth, shame on us for doubting your received wisdom back for calm back then!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ister.html

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-robots- ... -have-died
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ammianus wrote:Hey Colonel,

Saw these recent pieces on the retrospective about the Fukushima disaster. I am so very glad you were so very right 5 years ago. Back then everything was truly under control, and we were all panicking for no reason! You were truly the horse's mouth, shame on us for doubting your received wisdom back for calm back then!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ister.html

http://www.sciencealert.com/the-robots- ... -have-died
Indeed. That is why everything worth knowing about nuclear physics and engineering can be gleaned from a casual reading of the Telegraph.

Civilian deaths due to Tohoku Tsunami: 15,891

Civilian deaths due to Fukushima Daiichi nuclear incident: 0

How terrible that no nuclear disaster occurred, nothing more than an expensive inconvenience.

So sorry to have disappointed you.