Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote:.

What I find so fascinating with Einstein, is, all kind of folks, from "MIT professor to dishwasher", all have some (more and less valid) opinion about all sorts of Einstein's theories .. in fact, in surface, Einstein's theories very simple to explain, understand AND visualize, for common (even illiterate) people.

If only. The concepts behind GR are not too difficult to explain.
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve.

John A. Wheeler
which arises from four basics principles postulated by Einstein

Relativity Principle: there is no preferred inertial frames,
i.e. all frames are good frames for physics.

Equivalence Principle: inertial effects are locally indistinguishable
from gravitational effects (which means the equivalence
between the inertial and the gravitational masses). In other words,
any gravitational field can be locally cancelled.

General Covariance Principle: field equations must be
covariant in form, i.e. they must be invariant in form under the
action of spacetime diffeomorphisms.

Causality Principle: each point of space-time has to admit
a universally valid notion of past, present and future.

However, the GR equations that the concepts give rise to are exceptionally complicated, challenging to properly understand, and especially difficult to solve being highly non-linear in nature.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Even Einstein had trouble deciding whether or not his GR equations predicted gravitational waves:

Quanta Mag | From Einstein’s Theory to Gravity’s Chirp
The path from a revolutionary set of equations to the detection of gravitational waves was strewn with obstacles and controversy, explains the physicist Daniel Kennefick — and the struggle continues.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Babylonian Abstract Geometry and Revelations of the Observation of the God Marduk (Jupiter)

Really interesting find about the Babylonians.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4178494-baby ... er-science

Babylonian astronomers tracked Jupiter. Ancient Babylonian astronomers developed many important concepts that are still in use, including the division of the sky into 360 degrees. They could also predict the positions of the planets using arithmetic. Ossendrijver translated several Babylonian cuneiform tablets from 350 to 50 BCE and found that they contain a sophisticated calculation of the position of Jupiter. The method relies on determining the area of a trapezium under a graph. This technique was previously thought to have been invented at least 1400 years later in 14th-century Oxford. This surprising discovery changes our ideas about how Babylonian astronomers worked and may have influenced Western science."

"My dad volunteered to fight in World War II because of Pearl Harbor […] He was a West Virginia farm boy, but these f*ckers stepped on our soil, so he laced up his army boots and went to fight. It was his duty. - Steve Murphy
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | The Quantum Secret to Superconductivity
In a virtuoso experiment, physicists have revealed details of a “quantum critical point” that underlies high-temperature superconductivity.
Can't praise Quanta Magazine enough. The science journalism and exposition is absolutely first rate.
Typhoon

Re: Quantum weirdness

Post by Typhoon »

A excellent lay review of QM:

Forbes - "Bee" | 10 Quantum Truths About Our Universe

Appreciation to Forbes for publishing this level of article.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A good list. Thanks for the post.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

KuG_CeEZV6w
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:KuG_CeEZV6w
Freedom of the press belongs to those who own one.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Indeed.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

http://scienmag.com/first-particles-cir ... celerator/
First particles circulate in SuperKEKB accelerator
By admin -
April 14, 2016

The SuperKEKB particle accelerator at the KEK research center in Japan has recently reached a major milestone: electrons and positrons have been circulated for the first time around the rings. The accelerator is now being commissioned and the start of data taking is foreseen for 2017. One of the core questions to be investigated in these experiments is why the universe today is filled almost only with matter while in the Big Bang matter and antimatter should have been created in equal amounts. Physicists at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) are involved in the development of the slow-control of the detector. The group of Professor Concettina Sfienti at the Institute of Nuclear Physics at Mainz University will be working together with some 600 scientists from 23 countries to analyze the data.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Nature | Has a Hungarian physics lab found a fifth force of nature?
Radioactive decay anomaly could imply a new fundamental force, theorists say.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Jester ‏@Resonaances 17h17 hours ago
Rumor: 750 GeV diphoton bump is going away as more data is collected by LHC.
Most likely, excess seen in 2015 was just statistical fluke.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Ethan Siegel | Dark Matter May Be Completely Invisible, Concludes World's Most Sensitive Search
The LUX results rule out all the touted detections from experiments like DAMA, LIBRA and CoGeNT; it rules out most models of dark matter from supersymmetry and extra-dimensions.
A remarkable null result.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon wrote:
Jester ‏@Resonaances 17h17 hours ago
Rumor: 750 GeV diphoton bump is going away as more data is collected by LHC.
Most likely, excess seen in 2015 was just statistical fluke.
Rumour confirmed at ICHEP 2016 which just ended in Chicago.

The 750 GeV diphoton bump was a statistical fluctuation.

Also, new stringent limits on the mass of gluinos: the hypothesized supersymmetric [SUSY] counterparts of the gluons which theorist keep predicting, but stubbornly refuses to exist.

The status of HEP after ICHEP 2016
If we are to retain a minimum of coherence, we have to say it loud: SUSY is not a preferred new physics theory anymore. What should we replace it with, though, I haven't a clue. For sure not with a diphoton resonance, anyway.
To sum up: no new evidence of fundamental physics beyond the Standard Model.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brecher

Post by Brecher »

What if the reason no beyond Standard Model particles have been found is because they have more than 1 TeV of mass? That certainly can't be excluded.

It is possible that the Higgs Boson that was found is only the lightest in a series. There may other, many times more massive, Higgs Bosons. If the next in the series is above 1 EeV, we many never detect it.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:Bupkes
fascinating article. Thanks for posting. Excellent example of the common human condition and first world problems :

1. Researchers worrying there is nothing new to discover
2. Historians: the end of history
3. Theologians: what if god never talks to us again, or we never find any new ancient religious manuscript?
4. Astronomers & archaeologists: we have found everything that exists
5. Musicians and Songwriters: we have composed and written everything possible
6. SJWers: we fixed the world, there is no injustice or mirco-aggressions
7. Internet Posters: everyone is as smart as me and agrees with me
8. Politicians: All the possible laws have been written.
etc.

Where do I fit in now? Will anyone need or want me? How will I make my boat payments?

Reminds me of my grandfather saying to my grandmother: "Well, you must be really disappointed. You spent all that time worrying, fretting, and talking about it, and then it never happened!"

On the other hand, the fear is a very real aspect of being human. One spends days, months, or years dedicated to a disciplined study of a highly specialized field, and the results may never be as concrete and "provable" as I fixed a hole in the roof this morning, or changed a flat tire on the car yesterday. Or as in technology, the invention that takes years to produce may soon be obsolete.

Only internet posters have nothing to fear.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Killer quantum theory could explain literally what is killing us

Correlation the causation of the Arrow of Time

https://www.wired.com/2014/04/quantum-theory-flow-time/
New Quantum Theory Could Explain the Flow of Time

I suppose if true, this could imply a lot of things about life, the universe, and everything. Perhaps we are all correlating to belly button fuzz on the surface of the universe. :D
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Good article*. Very interesting.

Thanks for posting it.

Experiment, as always, will be the final arbiter.

*Quanta magazine has probably some of the best science reporting in the English language.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Any idea to the nature of experiments that could be used to test it?

How, and to what degree, would random quantum fluctuation effect such a system's entropy? Has anyone ever measured for the average rate of those fluctuations WRT the size of of the system being effected? It strikes me that this may have been done with communication systems via bit error rates as described in the article. Are there quantum fluctuation errors in quantum communication systems? The answer is yes and it may at a "fixed rate average" of error regardless of scale.

At any rate, theory raises a very large amount of scientific and philosophical questions.

The implications, if it is true, are mind boggling.

In the words of the originator of this idea as to how his idea was originally greeted:

“I was darn close to driving a taxicab,” - Seth Lloyd

May the correlation be with you Seth. :D