Spirit of the Season

Tea is nought but this: first you heat the water, then you make the tea. Then you drink it properly.
Typhoon

Re: Spirit of the Season

Post by Typhoon »

hrwf_BT840eQ
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
manolo

Post by manolo »

Happy New Year! :D

Alex.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Superbowl Sunday :wink:

to the Yanks.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Spring Festival - Lunar New Year to all.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Happy Varentine's Day!

just thinking about some of you people gives me an election! ;)
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:Happy Varentine's Day!

just thinking about some of you people gives me an election! ;)
In Japan, only women give men chocolate on Valentine's Day.

Really.

There are two kinds: "obligation" chocolate to one's male colleagues, etc. and "love" chocolate to one's interest.

One month later, on White Day, 14 March, men who received chocolate are expected, obligated actually, to reciprocate.

Is that not great marketing?

Christmas Eve is more like Valentine's Day.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Nouruz* to all who celebrate.

*Traditional Iranian New Year.
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Typhoon wrote:.

Happy Nouruz* to all who celebrate.

*Traditional Iranian New Year.

BBC
What is Nowruz ?
How to celebrate Persian New Year

Nonc Hilaire

Happy Easter!

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Traumatized for life.

And a belated Purim too.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:Traumatized for life.

And a belated Purim too.
I am offended by superficial treatments of Christianity. These guys are simply having fun, even if the kid is mortified. Embarassing kids is what all parents do, otherwise the damn kids would never move out. No apologies needed for having fun. The Easter Bunny is a genuinely spiritual experience to a three year old, and since God is love I would not disabuse him.

I have recently started drafting an outline of "Christianity in a Nutshell". Really, we Christians are well aware that our religion often seems quite illogical and silly. Especially at Easter. Obviously Christianity was not invented logically, but there is still a logical thread running through it. Some religions seem compatible with human invention, but Christianity is well into the realm of "you simply can't make this stuff up".

I do believe Jesus was the actual realization of God within earthly limitations. The first key is that mankind exists within God like fish exist within water. Scientific proof is impossible, as there can be no second party observer.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
manolo

Post by manolo »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
I do believe Jesus was the actual realization of God within earthly limitations. The first key is that mankind exists within God like fish exist within water. Scientific proof is impossible, as there can be no second party observer.
Nonc,

You have reminded me of Bishop Berkeley's Idealism (and Cartesianism). Happy Uni days. :)

Alex.

PS - I was so into the 'What's it all about thing' in philosophy classes; lo and behold - still no further forward.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Well, that was more than I expected :wink:

I hope that I did not unintentionally offend by commenting on a treasured family photo.
______

Apparently the original Christian association of rabbits with Easter was due to a belief that rabbits were hermaphrodites [Pliny] and were also capable of virgin birth.

Their fecundity and prolific breeding probably predates the association of Christian Easter with the Vernal Equinox.
kmich

Post by kmich »

Attended a two hour service this morning on the Easter date as observed by us Orthodox Christians, followed by the traditional roasted lamb for midday. Done with the monastic rules the 40 day "Great Lenten" fasting. :D

A Blessed Easter to all! May you all open your hearts to be resurrected in the Christ. Божьих благословений!

P8m9_aPHyQE
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

And a happy belated Passover too.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Some residents on the Greek island of Chios are up in arms over the banning of rocket firing on the eve of Orthodox Easter.

Villagers from two rival parishes compete to see who can hit the other’s church the most times.

But this year the centuries-old ‘rouketopolemos’, as it’s known,
has been forbidden by the authorities after complaints by some people living near the churches, whose homes are often damaged by the rockets.

“Unfortunately, this year the rocket war cannot be conducted due to the fact that many people have complaints about the damages that rocket war causes every year”, said local man John Tatsis. “But those people are not a lot, only 20, I think. I’m very disappointed about the decision that the authorities took, and I hope that next year this tradition will be continued.”

The ban led to flag-carrying protests from those who want to see the tradition maintained, and some have even gone as far as to defy the ban.

Rockets could be seen being fired on Saturday evening. According to villagers more than 20,000 hand-made rockets had been prepared for the festival and some people just couldn’t resist launching them.
7SefoOTyK9s
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
Some residents on the Greek island of Chios are up in arms over the banning of rocket firing on the eve of Orthodox Easter.

Villagers from two rival parishes compete to see who can hit the other’s church the most times.

But this year the centuries-old ‘rouketopolemos’, as it’s known,
has been forbidden by the authorities after complaints by some people living near the churches, whose homes are often damaged by the rockets.

“Unfortunately, this year the rocket war cannot be conducted due to the fact that many people have complaints about the damages that rocket war causes every year”, said local man John Tatsis. “But those people are not a lot, only 20, I think. I’m very disappointed about the decision that the authorities took, and I hope that next year this tradition will be continued.”

The ban led to flag-carrying protests from those who want to see the tradition maintained, and some have even gone as far as to defy the ban.

Rockets could be seen being fired on Saturday evening. According to villagers more than 20,000 hand-made rockets had been prepared for the festival and some people just couldn’t resist launching them.
7SefoOTyK9s
:lol: :) :lol: :)

that is outstanding YMix. thanks for posting.

Illustrates one of the most interesting, IMSMO, aspects of humanity. Give someone an ideology, and you have no idea whatsoever how they will interpret it or what they will develop it into, or how it will influence their future actions. Free will & creativity.

Good to see someone having fun.
YMix

Post by YMix »

A screenshot from Romanian news station Antena 3. The caption says:

CHRIST HAS RISEN!
Doctors are trying to save his life
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

:lol:
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:Image

A screenshot from Romanian news station Antena 3. The caption says:

CHRIST HAS RISEN!
Doctors are trying to save his life
Finally!

I guess you won't have Mr. Perfect to bash around anymore... ;)

If you get too despondent, you can target me. :P
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

A belated Canada Day to all the Canadians

hL5KRVtjgMkM
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

And an early 4th of July to the Americans

Z-HLxpWGCzc
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Happy Internet Liberation Day!!!

Typhoon's days of virtually oppressing Mr. P may be numbered.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/us-cuts-cord ... 02357.html
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:Happy Internet Liberation Day!!!

Typhoon's days of virtually oppressing Mr. P may be numbered.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/us-cuts-cord ... 02357.html
If you think I'm oppressive, try Chinese.

One hour later, and the're back to oppress you some more.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Happy Rosh Hashanah | רֹאשׁ הַשָּׁנָה‎‎ to all who will celebrate