Media Stuff | Stuff the Media

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
YMix

Media Stuff | Stuff the Media

Post by YMix »

I was reading this article about Obama's communication wizard and was struck by this paragraph:
Rhodes singled out a key example to me one day, laced with the brutal contempt that is a hallmark of his private utterances. “All these newspapers used to have foreign bureaus,” he said. “Now they don’t. They call us to explain to them what’s happening in Moscow and Cairo. Most of the outlets are reporting on world events from Washington. The average reporter we talk to is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns. That’s a sea change. They literally know nothing.”

In this environment, Rhodes has become adept at ventriloquizing many people at once.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
YMix

Re: Media Stuff / Stuff the Media

Post by YMix »

When I asked whether the prospect of this same kind of far-reaching spin campaign being run by a different administration is something that scares him, he admitted that it does. “I mean, I’d prefer a sober, reasoned public debate, after which members of Congress reflect and take a vote,” he said, shrugging. “But that’s impossible.”
I was wondering if the Real Wizard of Oz realized that his system born of good intentions could end up in somebody else's hands.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

YMix wrote:I was reading this article about Obama's communication wizard and was struck by this paragraph:
Rhodes singled out a key example to me one day, laced with the brutal contempt that is a hallmark of his private utterances. “All these newspapers used to have foreign bureaus,” he said. “Now they don’t. They call us to explain to them what’s happening in Moscow and Cairo. Most of the outlets are reporting on world events from Washington. The average reporter we talk to is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns. That’s a sea change. They literally know nothing.”

In this environment, Rhodes has become adept at ventriloquizing many people at once.
I find the chicken and egg on this interesting - the death of traditional media versus the decline in its quality as its budget goes down... imnho they are reduced to nothing because hardly anyone post boomer cares for what they think.

everyone in my dads generation gave em $2 a day for their output with all the bonus added advertising revenue for all those eyeballs, i cant think of anyone in my generation or after which does and i only touch base with the crap the have published once a week to remain aware of whats on their agenda at the moment.

I also find intriguing the dissonance between the rosy glassed good ole days of serious, intelligent media which came from a monocultural environment with single version of the truth that everyone pushed - or they didnt get a license!

versus the idiotsphere of the social media and a chaos of opinions, whats better for me, the real world and all its idiots in all their glory or the tiny subset the sensible folks think i should be focusing on.

hmmm.

i have spent quite some time thinking about exactly what could be considered sensible for conservative christians, progressive greens and a thousand more sub cultures beyond and i really cant think of anything that would qualify.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Isn't it interesting that when we have easy access to technology which allows global networking, the number one problem is a lack of a globalized network?
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy

Post by noddy »

somehow this was not surprising :)

the insularity required to not notice the potential flaw in that post is quite mindboggling.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

So HP is a white girl's club? Ageist, racist, sexist. No surprise there.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:So HP is a white girl's club? Ageist, racist, sexist. No surprise there.
White Women..... they're all like that! ;) I'll bet they all have smartphones and use social media too.

I going to throw lesbian into the imaginative blender also. They're more sensitive than the rest of us, so they care more.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Half of all misogynistic tweets posted on Twitter come from women, a study suggests.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36380247
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:Image
And too insular and clueless to know just how insular and clueless they are.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Isn't it interesting that when we have easy access to technology which allows global networking, the number one problem is a lack of a globalized network?
+ 1
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Media Stuff | Stuff the Media

Post by noddy »

professional critics and professional editors, both of who used to be the gatekeepers to things being published or promoted are now dying professions.

the old australia i grew up in had television and newspapers as a sort of national reference point for normality, the government promoted vision of what a proper opinion should be so even if the population disagreed with it, the terms of the argument and the reference points for it still all came from the same space.

the internet world has none of that, nothing at all to bind us together in propaganda, i really dont see it lasting long, 'they' cant let that continue to grow.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Tech Giants don't love humanity:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... n-24-hours

I feel so misunderstood on this planet. :(

Cool part about the free market and freedom of association, we all get to pick our Big Brothers and Sisters! :P
YMix

Post by YMix »

In East Aleppo, some 250,000 civilians and 8,000 insurgents, are under attack by the Syrian Army allied to Shia paramilitaries from Iran, Iraq and Lebanon and supported by the Russian and Syrian air forces. The bombing of East Aleppo has rightly caused worldwide revulsion and condemnation.

But look at how differently the international media is treating a similar situation in Mosul, 300 miles east of Aleppo, where one million people and an estimated 5,000 Isis fighters are being encircled by the Iraqi army fighting alongside Kurdish Peshmerga and Shia and Sunni paramilitaries and with massive support from a US-led air campaign. In the case of Mosul, unlike Aleppo, the defenders are to blame for endangering civilians by using them as human shields and preventing them leaving. In East Aleppo, fortunately, there are no human shields – though the UN says that half the civilian population wants to depart – but simply innocent victims of Russian savagery.

Destruction in Aleppo by Russian air strikes is compared to the destruction of Grozny in Chechnya sixteen years ago, but, curiously, no analogy is made with Ramadi, a city of 350,000 on the Euphrates in Iraq, that was 80 per cent destroyed by US-led air strikes in 2015. Parallels go further: civilians trapped in East Aleppo are understandably terrified of what the Syrian Mukhabara secret police would do to them if they leave and try to pass through Syrian government checkpoints.

But I talked earlier this year to some truck drivers from Ramadi whom I found sleeping under a bridge in Kirkuk who explained that they could not even go back to the ruins of their homes because checkpoints on the road to the city were manned by a particularly violent Shia militia. They would certainly have to pay a large bribe and stood a good chance of being detained, tortured or murdered.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ira ... 73951.html
Parodite

The Future of Journalism

Post by Parodite »

Deep down I'm very superficial
YMix

Post by YMix »

Egyptian police arrested five people in Port Said, Egypt for making staged "wounded children" photos, which they were planning to use to misrepresent on social media as photos of destruction and injured people in Syria's Aleppo, the Egyptian Interior Ministry said on Monday. The group also made fake videos that purport to show the wreckage of air strikes in Aleppo.

The shooting team, which included the photographer's assistants and parents of the children, was detained in the Egypt's province of Port Said," the Ministry said on Facebook.

[...]

“A 12-year-old boy is also interviewed about what life is like under intensive Russian-backed Syrian government air strikes,” reported The Independent.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Today we don’t need rallies or newsreels because we have the internet and social media, the addiction of our age. It is a dependency on a drug which under the infamous “diversity of perspectives” presents morality and immorality as part of a landscape that spreads out flat to the horizon. Even we humble reporters can see what is happening. To an extent never witnessed before, a lot of people have started believing things that aren’t true. And it is acceptable to do this. And we help them.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/12/30/ ... ways-have/

So lying is certainly in its bare-faced ascendancy. It floats freely, with no pretence to being anchored in evidence. Oscar Wilde, in his dialogue The Decay of Lying, claimed that the Victorian politicians of his time were not good liars: they merely misrepresented the truth, whereas the true liar is marked by “his frank, fearless statements, his superb irresponsibility, his healthy natural disdain of proof of any kind!”

By these standards true lying has returned to the political mainstream: frank, fearless and superbly irresponsible.
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/post- ... -1.2904250
noddy

Post by noddy »

Im still of the opinion that their is a certain sheltered middle class crowd who never really understood that the old mainstream news subset was only consumed by them and they had no clue as to what lay lurking in the 'burbs.

the internet lets all those dodgy pub and bbq conversations come into the spotlight, the opinions that never got published, the attitudes which always got suppressed.

welcome to your real neighbours.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

Authorities haven't found 'even a dollar' of El Chapo's $1bn drug fortune

“As of today, US authorities have not found not even one dollar of El Chapo’s assets,” Raul Cervantes told the broadcaster Televisa on Wednesday. “His money hasn’t been found because he didn’t use the financial system.”

Big boys into this .. this ain't amateur stuff

YMix

Post by YMix »