Cool Maps

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Typhoon

Re: Cool Maps

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix

Post by YMix »

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

http://app.chronas.org/battles/#/wikidata

all battles in history as per english language wikipedia

you need to click on the squiggly map icon to go to the spinny globe view.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Fun to see Russia shrink when put over Africa.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Fun to see Russia shrink when put over Africa.
I can't stop myself . . .

N3lz2GFfkEg
noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Chinese stereotypes of Europe:

noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote:Image
Good to see the "Lubers" between "Dry Wood" and "Virgin".

Remember seeing the exit from I-95 to "Climax" in Michigan.
noddy

Post by noddy »

the spread of humanity and the amusment of americans saying they have wilderness left, the entire country is paved.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016 ... servation/

ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:the spread of humanity and the amusment of americans saying they have wilderness left, the entire country is paved.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016 ... servation/

The fascinating aspect of comparative maps on the internet. The NY part looks like it was drawn by someone from the deep south who equates NY state with Manhattan.

Get in a plane and flyover the supposedly sophisticated, metropolitan, blue state of NY sometime. Eye opening. Which I guess explains all the Sasquatch sightings.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

This shows distance from road/track/trail as a heatmap.

It is what it is.

driving for a few hours without seeing people is perfectly possible in the yellow areas.

Its just not wilderness.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:This shows distance from road/track/trail as a heatmap.

It is what it is.

driving for a few hours without seeing people is perfectly possible in the yellow areas.

Its just not wilderness.
Good comparo is the map of the Earth at night.

https://www.google.com/search?q=earth+m ... y9YpPhM%3A

That's the fascinating aspect, to me at least. What people consider to be wilderness when sitting in front of a computer screen versus what they consider to be wilderness when they can't get cell phone service, the car won't start, and the nearest convenient store is beyond their line of sight.

I know more than a few people who if you dropped them in the middle of a 100 acre woods, you'd never see them again.

Mostly AGW disciples...... they'd fall victim to micro-aggressive trees! :)

Good map of just how little of the Earth is settled, and how to some many, if it ain't paved, it ain't real.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

Good comparo is the map of the Earth at night.

https://www.google.com/search?q=earth+m ... y9YpPhM%3A
yeh, i was thinking they are almost the same picture, which isnt surprising really.

Simple Minded wrote:
That's the fascinating aspect, to me at least. What people consider to be wilderness when sitting in front of a computer screen versus what they consider to be wilderness when they can't get cell phone service, the car won't start, and the nearest convenient store is beyond their line of sight.
I come from one of the bluer bits of australia (1/3 in from the left) and curently live towards the edge of the yellow bit in the bottom left so I have my own concept of what wilderness feels like, so i liked this map for letting me calibrate other peoples usage of the word.

Simple Minded wrote:

I know more than a few people who if you dropped them in the middle of a 100 acre woods, you'd never see them again.

Mostly AGW disciples...... they'd fall victim to micro-aggressive trees! :)

Good map of just how little of the Earth is settled, and how to some many, if it ain't paved, it ain't real.
hah, indeed, people get lost in the forest inside the bottom left of australia quite often but you do need to be awfully ignorant of the lay of the land and choosing which directions to walk in because their are trails everywhere and highways all around it.

nature and wilderness are to be protected and then seen on TV documentaries, they should be concreted over if they get close to your house because its messy and dangerous.

saddest part of the population increase we have had over the last decade is watching all the remnant land get turned into housing :/
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
hah, indeed, people get lost in the forest inside the bottom left of australia quite often but you do need to be awfully ignorant of the lay of the land and choosing which directions to walk in because their are trails everywhere and highways all around it.

nature and wilderness are to be protected and then seen on TV documentaries, they should be concreted over if they get close to your house because its messy and dangerous.

saddest part of the population increase we have had over the last decade is watching all the remnant land get turned into housing :/
Few things are as entertaining as watching a young greenie who only knows nature thru Google rather than personal experience, run headlong into Mother Nature in all her harsh, entropy increasing, cruelness and suffer the consequences.

I know one. Makes big money in advertising, thinks climate change is science, not religion. We worked on a non profit project one day outside, it was 45 F out, she shows up in flip flops and is stunned that she is uncomfortably cold all day.

Weird part is, they're supposed to be fans of Darwinism....... :D

Thank God for schadenfreude.....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

today i learnt romananians are like murkians

ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote:today i learnt romananians are like murkians
Poverty + alcohol. Good thing guns are not freely available.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
YMix

Post by YMix »

YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy

Post by noddy »

ultracrepidarian