Painting

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Azrael

Painting

Post by Azrael »

Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres -- La Grande Odalisque
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Re: Painting

Post by Azrael »

A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte -- Georges Seurat, 1884
cultivate a white rose
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Pollock : Lavender mist
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Azrael wrote:Image
A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte -- Georges Seurat, 1884
p89gBjHB2Gs
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Great scene.
cultivate a white rose
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

ocl5ETXbnws
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

VOfePvzW1ts
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Typhoon wrote:VOfePvzW1ts
Fail. She does not assault and wound the canvas. This work is a controlled leprosy.

+1 to Iran's decision to withhold viewing until social context changes. A clear sacrifice of current value to future context.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

MDCvPHiqlS8
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Cosplay tribute to a famous painting:

[Mardi Gras, New Orleans]
AzariLoveIran

Post by AzariLoveIran »

Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Smithsonian's Sackler Gallery premieres works by Japanese master painter ~ Kano Kazunobu

http://tinyurl.com/7uuw92s (artknowledgenews.com)
In early 1854, just as American Commodore Matthew Perry’s ships steamed into Edo Bay to persuade Japan to open its ports to the world, the esteemed painter Kano Kazunobu (1816-63) received a commission from a highly respected Buddhist temple located in the heart of Edo, now modern-day Tokyo. His mission was to create 100 paintings on a wildly popular theme of the day—the lives and deeds of the Buddha’s 500 disciples, known in Japan as rakan.

For the first time in the U.S., Kazunobu’s graphic and flamboyantly imagined depictions of the daily lives and wondrous deeds of the Buddha’s legendary disciples are on view in “Masters of Mercy: Buddha’s Amazing Disciples” at the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, March 10 through July 8....

Also on view in the nation's capital this spring is "Hokusai: 36 Views of Mount Fuji," March 24–June 17 at the Sackler and "Colorful Realm: Japanese Bird-and-Flower Paintings by Itō Jakuchū (1716–1800)," at the National Gallery of Art.

Each exhibition features not only a retrospective of a distinctive and important painter and designer of the 18th and 19th centuries, but also specific thematic ensembles of works, many never seen outside Japan, created by Kazunobu, Hokusai and Jakuchū over periods as long as a decade. All three exhibitions are free of charge and accessible on the National Mall between 12th and Seventh streets.

EDIT: Interesting article on Kazunobu's life and art:

Patricia J. Graham, The Ascetic as Savior

Shakyamuni Undergoing Austerities by Kano Kazunobu

http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bit ... zunobu.pdf
http://hdl.handle.net/1808/6823
Last edited by Antipatros on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Have just been to see the David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy in London. Breathtaking. The main focus is pictures of local woods and paths near to where he now lives, in East Yorkshire.

These are objectively nothing special, but in Hockney's eyes they become something else. Like Monet, he paints the same scene over and over again in different lights and at different seasons. The climax, in the main hall of the Academy, is 52 iPad drawings and one huge canvas of the coming of spring to Woldgate Woods, taken twice a week from January to June.
athIs72E0e8

I sincerely hope they keep this together after the exhibition ends, the obvious place is Salts Mill, Saltaire near Bradford where there are already a lot of his paintings and where there is the space to keep them all together.
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Thanks for that, Torchwood. Very interesting. Artlyst.com refers to the high demand for tickets in the final weeks of the exhibition, so that's encouraging.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood wrote:Have just been to see the David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy in London. Breathtaking. The main focus is pictures of local woods and paths near to where he now lives, in East Yorkshire.

. . .
Brilliant. Thanks.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Torchwood wrote:Have just been to see the David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy in London. Breathtaking. The main focus is pictures of local woods and paths near to where he now lives, in East Yorkshire.

These are objectively nothing special, but in Hockney's eyes they become something else. Like Monet, he paints the same scene over and over again in different lights and at different seasons. The climax, in the main hall of the Academy, is 52 iPad drawings and one huge canvas of the coming of spring to Woldgate Woods, taken twice a week from January to June.
athIs72E0e8
Very interesting. Thanks.
I sincerely hope they keep this together after the exhibition ends, the obvious place is Salts Mill, Saltaire near Bradford where there are already a lot of his paintings and where there is the space to keep them all together.
That's a bit of a drive from London or Peterborough. Very magnanimous of you.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Antipatros wrote:Image
That reminds me of paintings of Saint Veronica (Vero/true icon/image)

Smithsonian's Sackler Gallery premieres works by Japanese master painter ~ Kano Kazunobu

http://tinyurl.com/7uuw92s (artknowledgenews.com)
In early 1854, just as American Commodore Matthew Perry’s ships steamed into Edo Bay to persuade Japan to open its ports to the world, the esteemed painter Kano Kazunobu (1816-63) received a commission from a highly respected Buddhist temple located in the heart of Edo, now modern-day Tokyo. His mission was to create 100 paintings on a wildly popular theme of the day—the lives and deeds of the Buddha’s 500 disciples, known in Japan as rakan.

For the first time in the U.S., Kazunobu’s graphic and flamboyantly imagined depictions of the daily lives and wondrous deeds of the Buddha’s legendary disciples are on view in “Masters of Mercy: Buddha’s Amazing Disciples” at the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, March 10 through July 8....

Also on view in the nation's capital this spring is "Hokusai: 36 Views of Mount Fuji," March 24–June 17 at the Sackler and "Colorful Realm: Japanese Bird-and-Flower Paintings by Itō Jakuchū (1716–1800)," at the National Gallery of Art.

Each exhibition features not only a retrospective of a distinctive and important painter and designer of the 18th and 19th centuries, but also specific thematic ensembles of works, many never seen outside Japan, created by Kazunobu, Hokusai and Jakuchū over periods as long as a decade. All three exhibitions are free of charge and accessible on the National Mall between 12th and Seventh streets.

EDIT: Interesting article on Kazunobu's life and art:

Patricia J. Graham, The Ascetic as Savior

Shakyamuni Undergoing Austerities by Kano Kazunobu

http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bit ... zunobu.pdf
http://hdl.handle.net/1808/6823
Incredible stuff. This guy must have been influenced by Renaissance religious painting.
cultivate a white rose
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Nicholas Roerich was a Russian painter, spy, adventurer, and mystic. He designed the original sets and costumes for his friend Stravinsky's Le sacre du printemps. He was deeply involved with Madame Blavatsky and the Theosophists and their Shambhala Project, but then an artist should be slightly mad.

The Last Angel. 1912
Tempera on cardboard. 52.5 x 74 cm

Path to Shambhala. 1933
Tempera on canvas. 46.5 x 78.5 cm

Mount of Five Treasures (Two Worlds).
From “Holy Mountains” series. 1933.
Tempera on canvas. 47 x 79 cm

Kanchenjunga. 1936
Tempera on canvas. 60.5 x 99 cm

NIcholas Roerich with Sacred Casket
Louvre
(This is actually by his son, Svestoslav.)

Guests from Overseas, 1901

Nicholas Roerich Museum, New York

http://www.roerich.org/collections.html

Nicholas Roerich Virtual Museum

http://www.roerich.ru/index.php?r=1152&l=eng

Christian Brinton, The Nicolas Roerich Exhibition (1920)

With introduction and catalogue of the paintings. 1920-1921-1922

http://archive.org/details/cu31924008661096

--T.S. Eliot
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

René Magritte Cosmogonie élémentaire
Deep down I'm very superficial
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Animals in Landscape | Franz Marc
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Antipatros,

Perhaps you'd be interested in the Nicholas Roerich Museum in New York.

I never heard of the artist until you posted the images on this thread (thanks) but now I want to see some of his work in person.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

the Workshop | Wyndham Lewis

I find Vorticism rather interesting. Too bad about the war.
cultivate a white rose
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Wassily Kandinsky | Munich-Schwabing with the Church of St. Ursula -- 1908
cultivate a white rose