Nuclear fusion breakthrough claims

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Doc

Nuclear fusion breakthrough claims

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampent ... d-forever/
Lockheed Martin Claims Fusion Breakthrough That Could Change World Forever

Lockheed Martin, the industrial conglomerate based in Bethesda, MD with close ties to the U.S. Department of Defense, is claiming to have made a major breakthrough in nuclear fusion, which could lead to development of reactors small enough to fit on the back of a truck within a decade.

In the simplest terms, nuclear fission breaks a single atom into two whereas nuclear fusion combines two atoms into one.

Fusion, the holy grail of nuclear power, creates three to four times as much energy as fission. More importantly, fusion’s key advantage over fission is that it does not produce cancer-causing radioactive waste.

Tom McGuire, who heads the project, told Reuters that his team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed’s Skunk Works program for the past four years, but decided to go public with the news now to recruit additional partners in industry and government to support their work.

Last year, while speaking at Google’s Solve for X program, Charles Chase, a research scientist at Skunk Works, described Lockheed’s effort to build a trailer-sized fusion power plant that turns cheap and plentiful hydrogen (deuterium and tritium) into helium plus enough energy to power a small city.

“It’s safe, it’s clean, and Lockheed is promising an operational unit by 2017 with assembly line production to follow, enabling everything from unlimited fresh water to engines that take spacecraft to Mars in one month instead of six,” Evan Ackerman wrote in a post about Chase’s Google talk on Dvice.

The key breakthrough involves using a “magnetic bottle” to contain the vast amount of heat, which rises into the hundreds of millions of degrees, created by the nuclear reaction. Containing and controlling the staggering levels of heat and pressure involved has hampered countless previous efforts to use fusion for generating electricity. The challenges associated with controlling the heat and pressure created by nuclear fusion has been especially difficult at smaller scales, which makes Lockheed’s claimed breakthrough all the more impressive.

“By containing this reaction, we can release [the heat] in a controlled fashion to create energy we can use,” Lockheed said in a statement. “The heat energy created using this compact fusion reactor will drive turbine generators by replacing the combustion chambers with simple heat exchangers. In turn, the turbines will then generate electricity or the propulsive power for a number of applications.”

Lockheed said in a statement that it would build a pilot fusion reactor in the next year.

If it works, the world will be a different place.

But in the meantime the emphasis should remain on the word “if.”
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Re: Lockeed Martin Claims Fusion reactor break through

Post by noddy »

fusion is 20 times bitten 100 times shy for me.

ultracrepidarian
Endovelico

Post by Endovelico »

Amazing. Watch the video:

JAsRFVbcyUY

Could it be for real?...
YMix

Post by YMix »

Don't worry, we'll manage to turn it into bigger and better weapons before you can say "This wasn't supposed to happen".
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

YMix wrote:Don't worry, we'll manage to turn it into bigger and better weapons before you can say "This wasn't supposed to happen".
The weapons already exist. :wink:

It's the controlled aspect that's proven to be far more difficult.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Re: Nuclear fusion breakthrough claims

Post by Typhoon »

Another nuclear fusion reactor claim and design

Univ of Washington fusion reactor concept: Dynomak

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 9614002518

Anyways, glad to read that researchers are continuing to try and develop new designs.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

And another novel nuclear fusion reactor design:

Tech Rev | Nucl fusion through mechanical compression
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

It would be good to see the cliche that

"nuclear fusion is the power generation method of the future . . .

and always will be."

finally proven wrong.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Typhoon wrote:
YMix wrote:Don't worry, we'll manage to turn it into bigger and better weapons before you can say "This wasn't supposed to happen".
The weapons already exist. :wink:

It's the controlled aspect that's proven to be far more difficult.
Swords into plow shares
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
YMix

Post by YMix »

The other way around.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
Doc

Post by Doc »

YMix wrote:The other way around.
HUH? The only working man made nuclear fusion is the hydrogen bomb.

Like this:

yEje927dygM
noddy

Post by noddy »

Typhoon wrote:It would be good to see the cliche that

"nuclear fusion is the power generation method of the future . . .

and always will be."

finally proven wrong.
exactly.

if in a decade (tm) i get to eat my hat, ill be glad.
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

IEEE Spectrum | Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology "Cheaper Than Coal"
"Modifying the most common type of experimental reactor might finally make fusion power feasible"
Sidebar: other alternative fusion energy technologies under development
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy

Post by noddy »

there is definately a joke about blowing smoke up peoples rings in that, shame i cant think of it.

http://gizmodo.com/blowing-smoke-up-you ... 1578620709
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

MIT Has Plans for a Real ARC [Affordable, Robust, Compact] Fusion Reactor

Something tells me that it's going to take more than stronger magnetic fields . . .
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood »

Like the famous quip about Brazil, fusion is "the energy of the future, and always will be", although I hope to be proved wrong.

I remember ZETA, and I was only a kid.
YMix

Post by YMix »

China's nuclear fusion machine just smashed Germany's hydrogen plasma record

Just last week, we reported that Germany’s revolutionary nuclear fusion machine managed to heat hydrogen gas to 80 million degrees Celsius, and sustain a cloud of hydrogen plasma for a quarter of a second. This was a huge milestone in the decades-long pursuit of controlled nuclear fusion, because if we can produce and hold onto hydrogen plasma for a certain period, we can harness the clean, practically limitless energy that fuels our Sun.

Now physicists in China have announced that their own nuclear fusion machine, called the Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST), has produced hydrogen plasma at 49.999 million degrees Celsius, and held onto it for an impressive 102 seconds.

[...]
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

New path suggested for nuclear fusion
Using shaped laser pulses -- ultrashort, tuned bursts of coherent light -- might make it possible to nudge atoms in a deuterium/tritium molecule close enough to fuse, according to a new study. Researchers at Rice University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the University of Chile suggested that quantum-controlled fusion may provide a possible new path toward the production of energy through nuclear fusion.
Interesting in as much it is a completely novel idea.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

YMix wrote:
China's nuclear fusion machine just smashed Germany's hydrogen plasma record

Just last week, we reported that Germany’s revolutionary nuclear fusion machine managed to heat hydrogen gas to 80 million degrees Celsius, and sustain a cloud of hydrogen plasma for a quarter of a second. This was a huge milestone in the decades-long pursuit of controlled nuclear fusion, because if we can produce and hold onto hydrogen plasma for a certain period, we can harness the clean, practically limitless energy that fuels our Sun.

Now physicists in China have announced that their own nuclear fusion machine, called the Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST), has produced hydrogen plasma at 49.999 million degrees Celsius, and held onto it for an impressive 102 seconds.

[...]
if they hired "Climate Scientists" to do their measurements, they could claim they produced hydrogen plasma at 49.99999999 million degrees Celsius!