Whom do progressives hate?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Typhoon

Whom do progressives hate?

Post by Typhoon »

American Thinker | Ten Reasons Why I Am No Longer a Leftist

“Love Humanity but Hate People.” is a stereotype that sums up my own anecdotal experience with regressive progressives.

"Saving the world" apparently gives one carte blanche to be a jerk when it comes to personal responsibility for one's actions
and in dealing with other people.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Re: Whom do progressives hate?

Post by noddy »

from my perspective its a certain personality type that used to be the noxious christian has become the noxious progressive as the balance of power shifted in the universities.

I wish i could find the exact source but I do remember an excellent Spike Milligan joke about how he loved that you can kick the chair of anyone that doesnt stand for the Queen, not because he gives a hoot about the Queen, but that he loves having an excuse to kick people.

It covers that personality type just perfectly.

--

the anti working class aspect of the new progressives is an interesting thing, probably coming from the rise of the inner city university graduates who feel far removed from the suburban and rural world.

its an interesting mine field to navigate and shows up all the time in the accusations of the anglo west being anti intellectual (which it is sometimes) when at its best its anti elitist and believes you quite often dont need to have gone to university to pick up subject matter if you are motivated and clever enough.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:from my perspective its a certain personality type that used to be the noxious christian has become the noxious progressive as the balance of power shifted in the universities.

I wish i could find the exact source but I do remember an excellent Spike Milligan joke about how he loved that you can kick the chair of anyone that doesnt stand for the Queen, not because he gives a hoot about the Queen, but that he loves having an excuse to kick people.

--

the anti working class aspect of the new progressives is an interesting thing, probably coming from the rise of the inner city university graduates who feel far removed from the suburban and rural world.

its an interesting mine field to navigate and shows up all the time in the accusations of the anglo west being anti intellectual (which it is sometimes) when at its best its anti elitist and believes you quite often dont need to have gone to university to pick up subject matter if you are motivated and clever enough.
The attitude you are looking for is self-righteousness. Internally defining what is moral or ethical.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:
noddy wrote:from my perspective its a certain personality type that used to be the noxious christian has become the noxious progressive as the balance of power shifted in the universities.

--

The attitude you are looking for is self-righteousness. Internally defining what is moral or ethical.
Not bad. I was going to go with self-loathing.

"I have a 10x income, most don't. So society/life is unfair."
"So why don't you give away 90% of your income and make both society better and life more fair?"
"Maybe, you didn't you hear me? I said LIFE IS UNFAIR!"

In either case, the conundrum is the same, how does one who proclaims to be selfless, manage to both self-loath and preach self-righteousness? I'm leaning towards string theory.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Typhoon wrote: regressive progressives.
I like that. I would like to add aggressive regressive progressives.
Censorship isn't necessary
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
I hate those people, but they are not as bad as the oppressive aggressive regressive progressives!
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Simple Minded wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:
I hate those people, but they are not as bad as the oppressive aggressive regressive progressives!
Or the oppressive passive-aggressive regressive progressives.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

I claim a safe space for the most vulnerable: the obsessive active-regressive passive-aggressive progressives.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:I claim a safe space for the most vulnerable: the obsessive active-regressive passive-aggressive progressives.
As long as it is climate controlled to shield them from AGW, they might be ok. Otherwise they may find it depressive.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

They're consumed with resentment and hate the fabric of reality and life itself. Self hatred first and all the rest is projection.....'>.......
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote:They're consumed with resentment and hate the fabric of reality and life itself. Self hatred first and all the rest is projection.....'>.......
Seems to be true for the one's I know on a first name basis.

"The mind is a place in itself. It can make a heaven of hell and a hell of heaven."
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I would like to point out that this used to be a progressive forum, now it's practically pro Trump. And I don't say that as a neener neener, but it's fascinating to watch, as SM might say.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I would like to point out that this used to be a progressive forum, now it's practically pro Trump. And I don't say that as a neener neener, but it's fascinating to watch, as SM might say.
I remember when you were all about Republican party loyalty. Now you are a small "l" libertarian and anti-GOPe.

Emerson: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." No little minds at OTNOT.

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:I claim a safe space for the most vulnerable: the obsessive active-regressive passive-aggressive progressives.
I think you had the
manic-depressive obsessive-compulsive active-regressive passive-aggressive progressives
in mind.

Did you not?
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Mr. Perfect wrote:I would like to point out that this used to be a progressive forum, now it's practically pro Trump. And I don't say that as a neener neener, but it's fascinating to watch, as SM might say.
And I would like to point out that this is the Philosophy section, not the Current Events/USA/nth Trump thread as n → ∞
section. Please post your USA/Trump specific comments there.

This thread is about progressivism as a concept.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:
I think you had the
manic-depressive obsessive-compulsive active-regressive passive-aggressive progressives
in mind.

Did you not?

Parodite may also have been talking about the Alt-ives.

They are not very attractive, appreciative, cognitive, deductive, cooperative, inclusive, or competitive, but they are very defensive, combative, comparative, assertive, coercive, abusive, abrasive, argumentative, imaginative, collective, combustive, and contaminative.

And they hate not being the center of attention. The solution to their self-inflicted pain may be giving them more free contraceptives.
Parodite

Post by Parodite »

Typhoon wrote:
I think you had the
in mind.

Did you not?
Yes. And... they should be decriminalized, treated like people with a medical condition such as drug addicts in an ideal situation. Covered by universal healthcare insurance. Maybe some crowdfunding to supply their safe spaces with soft cushions, tranquilizing white noise hifi sound systems.. just to make their recovery as smooth and painless as possible.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: I remember when you were all about Republican party loyalty. Now you are a small "l" libertarian and anti-GOPe.

Emerson: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." No little minds at OTNOT.
Fantastic topic. I would be interested in expounding, but not sure where to do it.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Mr. Perfect wrote:
Nonc Hilaire wrote: I remember when you were all about Republican party loyalty. Now you are a small "l" libertarian and anti-GOPe.

Fantastic topic. I would be interested in expounding, but not sure where to do it.
Anywhere except my bathroom. I get the Mr. Perfect/pro wrestling trope, but it is always more interesting when you dig into subjects which cannot be reduced to heroes and heels.

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Dr.Peterson is having a moment of fame right now. I've put most of it aside lately but I thought this was interesting:

x_fBYROA7Hk

Where he and a grad student of his make a distinction between the politically correct-minded egalitarian and the politically correct-minded authoritarian
Last edited by NapLajoieonSteroids on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

You came to Berry Peterson not to praise him?

Teresa of Ávila
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Nonc Hilaire wrote:You came to Berry Peterson not to praise him?
:lol: Okay, it's corrected now.

The thick of it is that seldom-studied left wing authoritarianism is a lot like the right wing version in that it maps to low verbal ability& high in the personality trait for conscientiousness (a pronounced desire for order specifically).
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Parodite wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
I think you had the
in mind.

Did you not?
Yes. And... they should be decriminalized, treated like people with a medical condition such as drug addicts in an ideal situation. Covered by universal healthcare insurance. Maybe some crowdfunding to supply their safe spaces with soft cushions, tranquilizing white noise hifi sound systems.. just to make their recovery as smooth and painless as possible.
In a climate-controlled environment . . .
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Dr.Peterson is having a moment of fame right now. I've put most of it aside lately but I thought this was interesting:

x_fBYROA7Hk

Where he and a grad student of his make a distinction between the politically correct-minded egalitarian and the politically correct-minded authoritarian
Good interview. Interesting concepts raised and presented.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Dr.Peterson is having a moment of fame right now. I've put most of it aside lately but I thought this was interesting:

x_fBYROA7Hk

Excellent interview. Thanks for posting Napster.

Like I said before, I blame parents more than society for bitter individuals. Perverse combination of spankings and hugs as children? :?

No surprise that those who reference Hitler or White Privilege in their "arguments" are both authoritarian and infantile. :)

Who's yer Daddy?

Helicopter Moms who really care and want to protect their snowflakes from reality, or Helicopter Moms who just want to be the most important person in their child's life forever, or Dads who say "Boo hoo hoo. Life's tough. Suck it up and deal with it! But whatever you do, get out of the house by age 18!"
Last edited by Simple Minded on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.