Research and Development; Invention and Innovation

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Parodite

Re: Research and Development; Invention and Innovation

Post by Parodite »

uLf0m3ucV3M
Deep down I'm very superficial
noddy

Why is Europe Failing To Create More Unicorns?

Post by noddy »

Out of 108 startups with a valuation of more than
one billion dollars, 78 are from the US and only nine are from Europe. Whats going on?
http://000fff.org/
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Why is Europe Failing To Create More Unicorns?

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

noddy wrote:.

Out of 108 startups with a valuation of more than
one billion dollars, 78 are from the US and only nine are from Europe. Whats going on ?

http://000fff.org/

Most start ups in US are started by new immigrants .. from China, India, Iran, Russia etc

And

There is a strong infrastructure for start ups .. lots of Venture capital (they not only have the money, but, most important, they have the expertise in the field .. most VC are from industry and have deep connections in the industry they invest (they know everybody in the industry, that's how they judge whether the idea is good or not) .. they crucial for success of the startup, they key partner .. most people with the idea are no good businessman or manager.

Those foreign talent have no "easy" entry into Europe (immigration), European system (economic, finance, society) is not friendly to foreign talent (how many Indian or Chinese or Iranian or Russian are head of European companies of any sort, NON .. many American companies now run by Indian etc), there is no VC tradition in Europe, English not prevalent (one must speak French or German etc).

European investors (Venture capital or Banks etc) are not risk takers, as chance of success of a Startup usually is less than 5%

These are the main reason nowhere can compete with USA in Startups .. American system, when in comes to business, is the most open and unbiased etc in the world and it will stay this way.

Imagine key Australian or French or German company head would be Indian or Chinese or Iranian :lol:

noddy

Post by noddy »

tPej2l6dVbw

blind and completely paralyzed from the waist down, yet walking, via mechwarrior suit
ultracrepidarian
Doc

Post by Doc »

http://phys.org/news/2015-10-breakthrou ... arbon.html
Breakthrough paves way for post-silicon future with carbon nanotube electronics
October 2, 2015 by Christine Vu
Carbon nanotube

IBM Research today announced a major engineering breakthrough that could accelerate carbon nanotubes replacing silicon transistors to power future computing technologies.

IBM scientists demonstrated a new way to shrink transistor contacts without reducing performance of carbon nanotube devices, opening a pathway to dramatically faster, smaller and more powerful computer chips beyond the capabilities of traditional semiconductors. The results will be reported in the October 2 issue of Science.

IBM's breakthrough overcomes a major hurdle that silicon and any semiconductor transistor technologies face when scaling down. In any transistor, two things scale: the channel and its two contacts. As devices become smaller, increased contact resistance for carbon nanotubes has hindered performance gains until now. These results could overcome contact resistance challenges all the way to the 1.8 nanometer node – four technology generations away.

Carbon nanotube chips could greatly improve the capabilities of high performance computers, enabling Big Data to be analyzed faster, increasing the power and battery life of mobile devices and the Internet of Things, and allowing cloud data centers to deliver services more efficiently and economically.

Silicon transistors, tiny switches that carry information on a chip, have been made smaller year after year, but they are approaching a point of physical limitation. With Moore's Law running out of steam, shrinking the size of the transistor – including the channels and contacts – without compromising performance has been a vexing challenge troubling researchers for decades.

IBM has previously shown that carbon nanotube transistors can operate as excellent switches at channel dimensions of less than ten nanometers – the equivalent to 10,000 times thinner than a strand of human hair and less than half the size of today's leading silicon technology. IBM's new contact approach overcomes the other major hurdle in incorporating carbon nanotubes into semiconductor devices, which could result in smaller chips with greater performance and lower power consumption.

Earlier this summer, IBM unveiled the first 7 nanometer node silicon test chip, pushing the limits of silicon technologies and ensuring further innovations for IBM Systems and the IT industry. By advancing research of carbon nanotubes to replace traditional silicon devices, IBM is paving the way for a post-silicon future and delivering on its $3 billion chip R&D investment announced in July 2014.

"These chip innovations are necessary to meet the emerging demands of cloud computing, Internet of Things and Big Data systems," said Dario Gil, vice president of Science & Technology at IBM Research. "As silicon technology nears its physical limits, new materials, devices and circuit architectures must be ready to deliver the advanced technologies that will be required by the Cognitive Computing era. This breakthrough shows that computer chips made of carbon nanotubes will be able to power systems of the future sooner than the industry expected."

A new contact for carbon nanotubes

Carbon nanotubes represent a new class of semiconductor materials that consist of single atomic sheets of carbon rolled up into a tube. The carbon nanotubes form the core of a transistor device whose superior electrical properties promise several generations of technology scaling beyond the physical limits of silicon.

Electrons in carbon transistors can move more easily than in silicon-based devices, and the ultra-thin body of carbon nanotubes provide additional advantages at the atomic scale. Inside a chip, contacts are the valves that control the flow of electrons from metal into the channels of a semiconductor. As transistors shrink in size, electrical resistance increases within the contacts, which impedes performance. Until now, decreasing the size of the contacts on a device caused a commensurate drop in performance – a challenge facing both silicon and carbon nanotube transistor technologies.

IBM researchers had to forego traditional contact schemes and invented a metallurgical process akin to microscopic welding that chemically binds the metal atoms to the carbon atoms at the ends of nanotubes. This 'end-bonded contact scheme' allows the contacts to be shrunken down to below 10 nanometers without deteriorating performance of the carbon nanotube devices.

"For any advanced transistor technology, the increase in contact resistance due to the decrease in the size of transistors becomes a major performance bottleneck," Gil added. "Our novel approach is to make the contact from the end of the carbon nanotube, which we show does not degrade device performance. This brings us a step closer to the goal of a carbon nanotube technology within the decade."
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

WSJ | Chinese University Tops MIT in Engineering Rankings
Each school’s score is based on its number of publications and citations as well as its global and regional research reputation. U.S. News has released rankings of U.S. colleges for more than 30 years, but 2015 marks only the second year that it has scored universities across the globe.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

HuXeCIQYIso
Nonc Hilaire

Flash Banite

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Radically cheaper, quicker and less energy-intensive to produce, Flash Bainite is stronger than titanium by weight, and ductile enough to be pressed into shape while cold without thinning or cracking. It's now being tested by three of the world's five largest car manufacturers, who are finding they can produce thinner structural car components that are between 30-50 percent lighter and cheaper than the steel they've been using, while maintaining the same performance is crash tests. Those are revolutionary numbers in the auto space.
http://www.gizmag.com/flash-bainite-aut ... ing/40774/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

PjSjpVYpg0c
Heracleum Persicum

The brains behind Google Earth and Street View
My iPod has 1,400 Persian songs on it.

Education :

MIT: MS and Ph.D. in electrical engineering/CS; Caltech: BS electrical engineering

Job titles:

CEO, Indoor Reality; professor and Qualcomm Chair in electrical engineering at UC Berkeley; Hertz Foundation fellow

Heracleum Persicum

China the indisputable leader in the field of quantum communication,
an achievement that could be of immense strategic importance.

.. successfully demonstrated the ability to distribute entangled photons across unprecedented distances, from space to earth, opening the door for the practical application of cutting-edge, ultra-secure communication.

Until now, entanglement distribution has only been achieved across a physical separation of less than 100 km, limited by the photon loss in channels such as optical fibers, which increases exponentially with the length of the channel. This test, set in motion when China launched a specialized quantum satellite dubbed Micius last year, was able to distribute the entanglement photons across a distance of more than 1,200 km.

This achievement is a huge step towards the practical application on a global scale of a theoretically unhackable encryption method called quantum key distribution.

Encryption methods used today are nearly, but not completely, impossible to hack, but with more advanced computing power the forms of encoding that protect information sent online will become more and more vulnerable. Quantum key distribution, however, is unique in that any measurement of the transmission by an eavesdropper disturbs the transmission, thereby alerting the parties sending information.

:lol: .. in the meantime, America building walls

noddy

Post by noddy »

lots of australian research achievements involved in that, CSRIO have been leading the field for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -questions
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

noddy, I know you knowledgable in this ,

.. practical application of cutting-edge, ultra-secure communication.

what is "unhackable encryption method called quantum key distribution." ? ?

Why unhackable ? ?

noddy

Post by noddy »

the simple and crude answer is that in digital communications the letters in our words are turned into numbers.

with quantum computing , if someone looks at the number, it will change to a different number - the act of reading it is the act of changing it.

if its hacked, then its immediately obvious and the link shuts down.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

the simple and crude answer is that in digital communications the letters in our words are turned into numbers.

with quantum computing , if someone looks at the number, it will change to a different number - the act of reading it is the act of changing it.

Yes, in digital com, it is 0 &1s .. and .. a message consisting of 0 & 1 , once you log into it will always stay same 0 & 1

Now, seems you saying , in "quantum computing" , once I log once into message and look at the message (numbers too), the numbers will not repeat for the next persone logging into and looking @ the message .. therefore message is in reality destroyed (after I look at it) and for the 2nd persone

Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

noddy wrote:the simple and crude answer is that in digital communications the letters in our words are turned into numbers.

Thank you Noddy, but it still is not simple and crude enough for me to understand.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

If i understood the mechanisms of quantum entanglement and qbit spins well enough to reduce it to a simple forum post Id be locked up in a clean room right now earning top dollarydoos from the millitary contractor of your choice :)

my extra layer of crude understanding, probably wrong, is 2 seperate photons have a known direction of spin and affecting one, affects the other, allowing communication.

reading the spin will also change the spin, making the message self destruct.
ultracrepidarian
Heracleum Persicum

my extra layer of crude understanding, probably wrong, is 2 seperate photons have a known direction of spin and affecting one, affects the other, allowing communication.

reading the spin will also change the spin, making the message self destruct.

Looks like my understanding was correct

It is still 0s & 1s .. but .. the nature of 0 and 1 is different .. once you open and look at it, buy closing the file "the photons spin differently" and the saved file not the same anymore, content lost.

Interesting

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

NBF | China’s super low cost heat only nuclear plants

District heating using pool-type nuclear reactors typically used for research.

Clever.

pa0Fmcv83nw

uYrhWO_ZLYw

The blue light is Cherenkov radiation.

The bubbles are due to the neutron induced dissociation of water into hydrogen and oxygen, not boiling as one might assume.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:NBF | China’s super low cost heat only nuclear plants

District heating using pool-type nuclear reactors typically used for research.

Clever.

pa0Fmcv83nw

uYrhWO_ZLYw

The blue light is Cherenkov radiation.

The bubbles are due to the neutron induced dissociation of water into hydrogen and oxygen, not boiling as one might assume.
Very cool. I like the trivia thrown in about radiation exposure and flying at 35,000 feet.

People get upset when you explain you work in a radioactive environment, and then think you are kidding them when you say "Rather than worry about my radiation exposure, you should put on some sun screen."
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quillette | What’s Happening to Technological Progress?
If current rules and regulations had been in existence in the 1900s and the first half of the 20th century we would not have airplanes, air conditioning, antibiotics, automobiles, chlorine, the measles and smallpox vaccines, cardiac catheters, open heart surgery, radio, refrigeration and X-rays. The universal principle of risk aversion in the past hampered only individuals, and if only one individual in a million was immune (that is, if one in a million did not share this risk aversion) that was enough for progress to occur. Now, this risk aversion is firmly entrenched in legislation all over the world, and it is throttling innovation, leading to actions that Kahneman describes as “detrimental to the wealth of individuals, to the soundness of policy, and to the welfare of society.” The bottom line is that risk adversity is fundamentally bad for productivity, and especially for research and development.
noddy

Post by noddy »

sad but true.
ultracrepidarian