Boys' Education

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Apollonius

Boys' Education

Post by Apollonius »

Personally, I am neutral but open to the author's prescription, but his diagnosis of the problem seems worth sending to a few school boards:

Let boys become men: The need for all-male education - Anthony Esolen, New English Review, June 2018
http://www.newenglishreview.org/custpag ... _id=189272

Boys now make up only about forty percent of college students, and that is just to scratch the surface of their troubles. They drop out far more often than their sisters do. They commit suicide more often. They break the law and are thrown into prison more often. They do every illegal thing you can name more often, except for shoplifting and prostituting themselves. But why? They are as intelligent as their sisters. They are if anything bolder than their sisters, as witness their propensity to crime; for the capacity, let us say, to build bridges never conceived before is akin to the capacity to rob banks never robbed before. The dynamism may be directed to good as well as to evil. They come from the same families as their sisters, they have gone to the same mostly lousy schools, they have lived in the same subdivisions or apartments or mansions or farm houses. What explains their colossal failure?

We are talking about failure here, and not about girlish success. It is not as if the world has been set afire by our college graduates, who very seldom can write three sensible and grammatical sentences in a row, who might be able to parrot the slogans of gender theory but cannot identify Garibaldi or Catherine de Medici, and whose actual performance in the arts is generally beneath embarrassment. I have not the time here to argue that the age of great women novelists is largely past, or that the greatest woman poet is still either Sappho or Emily Dickinson, those artists of the lyrical and terse. I will say that civilization seems to have gained nothing at all by feminism, if you take into account every Bernini, Bach, Schopenhauer, Goethe, Newman, and Planck burnt out in the bud; because that is what is happening to boys, en masse. If I hear of a boy who has failed out of high school, I can make no assumptions as to his intelligence; he may be a genius. Certainly, the capacity to do well in our high schools, such as they are, is a strong indication against genius, and in favor of a neat and happy willingness to please, to do what is always socially acceptable, however that is defined from place to place and from time to time.

The reader will here challenge me to suggest why boys should be lagging behind their sisters—and I do not speak metaphorically there; they lag behind their sisters. Let me do so right now. ...
Simple Minded

Re: Boys' Education

Post by Simple Minded »

Excellent article Appollonius, thanks for posting.

Personally, I have noted a yuge difference in attitude between a Black African trying to become an American, a black person trying to become a Christian, plumber, engineer, doctor, good neighbor, friend, etc, and a black person trying to be a "good" African-American. Of the three, guess which I would like to associate with the least?

Even one of my CA ultra Liberal friends has noted the futility of the "boys are deffective girls" ideology common in schools. I think it is because she has two brothers and two sons.

In the old days it was widely known that "boys will be boys," and that corporal punishment (sometimes paired with the humbling experience of "Well you knew better than to do that." "Now, go get my belt!" or "Go out back and cut me a good switch, and it better not break when I use it on your butt!") re-enforced with additional hours of solitary, tedious labor, which allowed much reflection, which often resulted in the realization that actions have consequences, some of which are best avoided. Free will and personal empowerment is available to all who seek it.

Based on my observation, fathers never cut their sons as much slack as mothers. Probably due to Dad remembering his uncivilized ideology as a youth. Strangely enough, my brothers and I, and all our friends were better behaved when someone's Dad was around than when no adult male was present.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote: Strangely enough, my brothers and I, and all our friends were better behaved when someone's Dad was around than when no adult male was present.
There is a lot of truth in that, if not directly or necessarily of the book-learnin', school rearin' kind. But probably important to access that kind of learning.
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Personally, get education any way you can.
Censorship isn't necessary