Sculpture

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
noddy

Sculpture

Post by noddy »

Ron Muek came across this guy today, absolutely incredible.

ultracrepidarian
Enki

Re: Sculpture

Post by Enki »

http://www.kateraudenbush.com/

My friend Kate Raudenbush is probably my favorite sculptor.

I cannot link to the website because everything is copyright protected. I helped build Duel Nature at Burning Man in 06.

Here are some pics from other sites:

Duel Nature

Guardian of Eden

This is a Bird Cage or something that was at Chapel of Sacred Mirrors, Alex Grey's compound upstate NY.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Sunti Pichetchaiyakul

Formerly of Thailand, now of Montana.

Quick Sculpting by Sunti

http://suntiworldart.com/quick-sculpt-1.html

9SGQ71mt6pg
Sunti demonstrates his world’s fastest Quick Sculpting skills, creating an identical impressionistic bust from a live model in only 16 minutes. Television shows from Korea, Japan, and Taiwan have traveled to Thailand specifically to film his speed and accuracy in Quick Sculpting and were amazed that Sunti uses only his hands rather than sculpting tools. In most cases, Sunti has never seen his model prior to the Quick Sculpt. Busts may be cast into bronze following the Quick Sculpt.
I particularly like his Native American Chiefs Collection, which captures something of the dignity of those great leaders, I think.

Tatanka Yotanka / Chief Sitting Bull
43" x 19" x 11"

Crazy Horse
29" x 21" x 15"

Although there are many photos of unidentified Native Americans, of which are believed to be of Crazy Horse, there has yet to be a proven photograph of the warrior. In fact the Lakotas are very skeptical that this would be the case, as it was very much against Crazy Horse's character, given that he refused to be photographed.

Sunti was very fortunate to work with one of Crazy Horse's living relatives, Donovin Sprague, who provided Sunti with a family sketch of the warrior and shared with Sunti the oral history of the Lakotas, describing Crazy Horse's appearance. The Legend tells that Crazy Horse had a light complexion and light hair, which he wore long with either one or two red tail hawk feathers, or an eagle feather. Crazy Horse did not wear a war bonnet or many accessories, however Crazy Horse brushed himself with soil and painted small white circles on his body as war paint. He was also given a stone by a medicine man that would protect Crazy Horse during battle. The warrior strapped this stone behind his ear and it is told that the stone would heat up when the enemy was near, alerting him of danger. Yet Crazy Horse's most prominent feature is the 2-3 inch vertical scar on his left cheek in which a bullet entered his cheek bone and exited out of his lower jaw. While there is a lot of mystery as to whether or not the scar was on the right side of Crazy Horse's face and whether the bullet actually entered under his jaw and exited out of his cheekbone, Sunti was determined to depict Crazy Horse in the way that he is remembered by his people, which is also, perhaps, most historically accurate.
Hinmuuttuyalatlat / Chief Joseph
36" x 22" x 25"

Chief Crowfoot
46" x 17" x 11"

Plus, it doesn't hurt when he does something nice for a cop and his sick daughter.
Be not too curious of Good and Evil;
Seek not to count the future waves of Time;
But be ye satisfied that you have light
Enough to take your step and find your foothold.

--T.S. Eliot
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Speaking of Crazy Horse:

Crazy Horse memorial
0ddMqzvMzXo

A.G. Sulzberger, A Monument to a Sioux Warrior, Its Completion Date Somewhat Unclear

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/us/a- ... wanted=all
It was to be the largest sculpture in the world: a granite portrait of a Sioux leader on horseback whittled out of a mountain in the Black Hills here. In scale and complexity, the carving would dwarf the imposing collection of presidential profiles on nearby Mount Rushmore.

As he started the Crazy Horse monument in 1947, short on money, manpower and the credulity of just about anyone who heard his plans, Korczak Ziolkowski, a sculptor from Connecticut, promised the tribal leaders who had recruited him and the local residents who scorned him that he was dedicating his life to the effort.

But he underestimated the scale of the undertaking. His promise, it turned out, was a multigenerational commitment.

The sprawling country clan Mr. Ziolkowski reared at the base of the mountain has spent the 30 years since his death honoring his final plea to continue the effort, to which he supposedly added, “But go slowly, so you do it right.”

Now led by his 85-year-old widow, Ruth, with the help of their 10 children and, more recently, their grandchildren, this eccentric family effort has plodded forward through doubts and controversy at a deliberate pace more in keeping with the age of the pyramids than the age of Twitter.

As the mountain carving effort begins its 65th year as one of the top tourist attractions in the state, few family members are deterred by their doubt that any of them will live to see it to completion....

--T.S. Eliot
Enki

Post by Enki »

How did she get Crazy Horse, I thought Crazy Horse was never photographed.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Antipatros

Post by Antipatros »

Enki wrote:How did she get Crazy Horse, I thought Crazy Horse was never photographed.
He almost certainly never was. The sculptor used a sketch held by Crazy Horse's relatives and oral descriptions to guide him.

--T.S. Eliot
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
noddy

Post by noddy »

thats neat and very relevant to me - th e3d printer arrives today, i have lots of algorithmi shapes and patterns to unleash upon it.. procedural graphics has been a hobby for a long time.
ultracrepidarian