A case for more engineers in politics

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Parodite

Re: A case for more engineers in politics

Post by Parodite »

Gents! Thou needesth not despair. Of course there are loads of average tech boys boxed into their narrow subcult.. but then there are also Engineer A+ people who also have the tooth and claw to achieve something in the ruthless swamp of politics.

Scott Adams talks to Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai (running against Elizabeth Warren) about immigration, education, and innovation
Deep down I'm very superficial
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Parodite wrote:Gents! Thou needesth not despair. Of course there are loads of average tech boys boxed into their narrow subcult.. but then there are also Engineer A+ people who also have the tooth and claw to achieve something in the ruthless swamp of politics.

Scott Adams talks to Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai (running against Elizabeth Warren) about immigration, education, and innovation
I'm not sure anyone is despairing. Seems more like business as usual today, than any supernormal crises as the "experts" claim.

I think about the engineers I know going up against the super-talkers (a high percentage of lawyers and politicians, I assume) I know, and it is a battle of attrition. The super-talkers are energized by discussion, while most of the engineers find the discussion to be counter-productive to actually achieving results. Which is the problem in a nutshell. Endless discussion, without conclusion or action is permanent employment for super-talkers. Not hard to imagine most engineers walking away to peruse more productive activities. Although I have known a few that can spend weeks discussing three sentences in an insignificant document.

Huge personality differences, which appear to me, to be genetic in origin.

Same is true for demonstrators. "I can spend months in the street blocking traffic? Sure why not? What else do I have to do with my time or my life? This is a lot more fun and meaningful than what I was planning to do!"

One of my friends is a retired negotiator. Stereotypical person who loves to hear himself talk. 10, 20, 30 or more consecutive days of talking for 16 hours would energize him so much, he would wish the discussion would never end. He would have the time of his life. I have often imagined how the other side felt when the negotiations started and he walked into the room to represent their opponent.
noddy

Post by noddy »

On my bleaker days, which in the current climate in Australia is most of them, I pretty much figure we are past any political solutions now.

8 billion monkeys squabbling over resources that perhaps can keep 2 billion of them in the lifestyle to which they wish to become accustomed.. snot going to happen.

sure, all the techno folks will slam me down with claims of innovations and efficiencies but the maths is pretty clear on one bedroom apartments and eating your allocated teaspoon of protein being the only endgame in town.

we need innovations and efficiencies just to keep the current mess afloat and thats just stablising the basic food requirements, let alone the dreams of politics and power.

man does not live by bread alone.
ultracrepidarian
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Cheer up, Noddy. Remember you have all that wonderful natural fauna to help beat back the overgrowth :D
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

im watching it go extinct as the humans flood in and turn everything into concrete and grain.
ultracrepidarian