Who is afraid of AI?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Parodite

Who is afraid of AI?

Post by Parodite »

Personally I'm not. What am I missing? Technology no doubt is changing society and life is never without challenges, but there is a net benefit. The fear that new technology will bring us a Frankenstein is old but has never materialized. Predictions of doom are usually wrong and doom that does happen is of a sort hardly anticipated.

What is true however, is that different people and societies can use the same technology in different ways with very different outcomes. China for instance is going full big brother already but many other countries with access to the same technologies are nowhere there yet. They might, but the point is that the difference exists which proves that technology is never the only variable at work. Nor is it certain or obvious that China is on a track of total control of the population by AI algorithms supervised by a handful of techno-communists and that such a society will last very long. Nothing seems to be immune to change, to destruction errr.... death.

I would not be surprised that if AI is going anywhere and able to take over half the world and half of our brains, a vicious life-death competition between different AI will be the result... just as is already the case among carbon/dna based life forms. Very small, very fast and very effective replicating AI viruses may bring down quite a number of big Godzilla AI systems. Like China in 2086 AD.

To eat or being eaten, to hack or being hacked. Nothing much might be really new.
Deep down I'm very superficial
Nonc Hilaire

Re: Who is afraid of AI?

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

The first big AI issue is finance. We are pretty much AI controlled there already as usufruct has been almost entirely substituted for equity. Most 'investors' will find they have contracted away all ownership rights and hold only beneficial control of assets which are hypothecated or nonexistent.

The next AI encroachment will be law and AI contracts. Etherium is being worked out towards this idea of AI contracts.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I'm not. Science fiction has been whipping up a frenzy since the 60's, arguably the 30's, and so far nothing except fat people spending too much time in front of electronic screens.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

the west has MORE big brother stuff on its citizens in terms of social ratings than china has, the difference in culture just means our governments arent proud in public about it and most westerners are hardwired to talk smack about how free they are while being butt raped.

in the abstract people know that post 9/11 western fear worshipping of goat herders, all the databases are linked

they also know that the police records, the medical reccords, the credit card, the gps on the phone, no fly lists, etc are all part of this.

they somehow go retarded about how easy it is to write a query that joins all those together, its really quite disturbing.

job destruction has happened hand over fist - i personally watched a brick factory go from 10,000 employees to 1000 over 5 years due to automation and the reason the current economic boom is jobless is due to computers doing the heavy lifting now, not admin staff.

im not afraid of AI, i just think its obvious 25-50 of the population is doomed to living in ghettos with nothing to do because they are the type of folks who do jobs that computers do better.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

It'll be even worse when AI unionizes..... and then acts less intelligently than the low brow humans it displaced......
noddy

Post by noddy »

in the small , we will all be mostly capable of living out our lives quite comfily Id imagine, provided your social enough to be in the service industry or smart enough to be in the tech industry.

the kind of guy that used to do farming or labouring is pretty much stuck with house building and has been losing options hand over fist for several decades now.

the replacement work that still provides middle class lifestyle for them is not to be found, and the social contract is dubious, with much hand waving about retraining into high competition jobs.
Last edited by noddy on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:in the small , we will all be mostly capable of living out our lives quite comfily Id imagine, provided your social enough to be in the service industry or smart enough to be in the tech industry.

the kind of guy that used to do farming or industry is pretty much stuck with house building and has been losing options hand over fist for several decades now.

the replacement work that still provides middle class lifestyle for them is not to be found, and the social contract is dubious, with much hand waving about retraining into high competition jobs.
I don't think that is a bad read. On the flip side, all the former blue collar workers can become political activists for a new flavor of social justice. ;)

Once AI realizes the bio-units need food, rather than create Hunter-Killer flying robots, they can simply shut down farms to starve us out, kinda like humans do to each other every once in a while. Or just put happy chemicals and sterilizing agents in the waters supply.

Either way, "we" win! :P
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:in the small , we will all be mostly capable of living out our lives quite comfily Id imagine, provided your social enough to be in the service industry or smart enough to be in the tech industry.

the kind of guy that used to do farming or industry is pretty much stuck with house building and has been losing options hand over fist for several decades now.

I don't think that is a bad read. On the flip side, all the former blue collar workers can become political activists for a new flavor of social justice. ;)

Once AI realizes the bio-units need food, rather than create Hunter-Killer flying robots, they can simply shut down farms to starve us out, kinda like humans do to each other every once in a while. Or just put happy chemicals and sterilizing agents in the waters supply.

Either way, "we" win! :P
heh.

we are a very long way from AI like that... unfortunately :)

in australia those ex blue collar workers arent really on anyones team because noone is on theirs - i think legalised drugs to keep em docile and distracted is almost garunteed to be the next step - america seems to be heading in that direction quite fast.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:
heh.

in australia those ex blue collar workers arent really on anyones team because noone is on theirs - i think legalised drugs to keep em docile and distracted is almost garunteed to be the next step - america seems to be heading in that direction quite fast.
It would be interesting to try to get accurate metrics by which to compare the Merka and Straya. Or any two large diverse populations.

Based on MSM coverage of Merka, I have always lied in outlier regions of reality and continue to do so. I'm not sure MSM is any better connected to reality than I am.

So many dragons that need slaying, you would have thought I would have tripped over a couple by now, or at least stepped in their poop on the streets somewhere.....

I think the future maybe here now, and we are all living in cyber town.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:
heh.

It would be interesting to try to get accurate metrics by which to compare the Merka and Straya. Or any two large diverse populations.

Based on MSM coverage of Merka, I have always lied in outlier regions of reality and continue to do so. I'm not sure MSM is any better connected to reality than I am.

So many dragons that need slaying, you would have thought I would have tripped over a couple by now, or at least stepped in their poop on the streets somewhere.....

I think the future maybe here now, and we are all living in cyber town.
'

marijuana is pretty much a soma equivalent and you have the gist of my argument
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Based on my day-to-day observations, the far more prevalent narcotic in Merka today is social media and smart phones. all the other white collar and blue collar drugs are small potatoes in comparison.

Amazing to see how many people are looking at their smart phones/texting at stop lights, or doing the same whenever they have 15 seconds that does not require their undivided attention and both hands.

Surprising blue tooth is not more popular.

Regulation of that drug seems to be an eventuality. MJ may just be a phase.... or is one a gateway drug for the other?

What's the drug of choice in Straya?
noddy

Post by noddy »

much the same in straya as murica.

which is why i expect us to go from anti drug to pro drug soon enough as the entrenched unemployable's become a problem thats too hard.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:much the same in straya as murica.

which is why i expect us to go from anti drug to pro drug soon enough as the entrenched unemployable's become a problem thats too hard.
The other yuge drug problem in Murika is cheap, ubiquitous, food. Maybe the biggest problem of all. That would be the other potential AI solution to the human problem, deadly addictive food. :shock:

Always comes back to bread and circuses...... :o