Therapy Dog(s)

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Simple Minded

Therapy Dog(s)

Post by Simple Minded »

Howdy,

Yesterday I took both dogs, Emma the extrovert, and Maggie the introvert, separately, to a nearby Assisted Living Facility that houses Alzheimers patients for some therapy dog work.

If I thought I had any problems when I walked in the door, I could not remember any of my problems when I walked out. I doubt I could handle that as a full time job. I imagine personnel turnover is quite high. I have immense respect for people who can do that type of work.

Fascinating and gratifying to see people in various catatonic states, who don’t respond to humans, respond positively to a dog. There is some unknown mojo at work there. Another local institution uses horses for helping abused youngsters and battered women.

At one point, the activities director, Maggie, and I were walking down the hall and he said "There are a huge numbers of realities perceived in this building, and only a few of them are accurate." To which I responded "Just like the internet, 5% is based on information, the rest on imagination." He thought that was a good analogy.
noddy

Re: Therapy Dog(s)

Post by noddy »

dogs always remind you of the basics, as per the "If you can't eat it, genuflect it or piss on it, then walk away" rule.
ultracrepidarian