Why don't we have a Health Tips thread?

Past and present. You can't make this stuff up.
Mr. Perfect

Re: Why don't we have a Health Tips thread?

Post by Mr. Perfect »

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 41066.html
Alcohol can cause cancer by permanently damaging stem cell DNA, a new study has found.

Links between drinking and cancer are well-documented, however, the science behind this correlation has remained fairly ambiguous until now.

Researchers from the Medical Research Council’s lab of molecular biology at Cambridge University found that alcohol severely damages the DNA of stem cells in the blood and can subsequently lead to the formation of tumours.
Censorship isn't necessary
noddy

Post by noddy »

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/199398.php
They found that moderate drinkers tended to live longer across a 20-year follow-up compared to heavy drinkers and teetotalers. Mortality risk was 42% higher for heavy drinkers and 49% higher for abstainers than moderate drinkers.
http://www.health.com/alcoholism/modera ... y-suggests
"It is becoming clearer that it is much more likely to be the case that being a low or moderate drinker in middle age or older is a marker of good health, not a cause of it."
then
Jurgen Rehm, professor and chair of Addiction Policy with the University of Toronto's Dalla Lana School of Public Health, agreed that experiments show beneficial effects from alcohol. However, he said, even a single drink can boost some risks, such as that of breast cancer—thus, canceling out the benefit.

"If people drink only one drink a day," he said, "it is a wash. There are much better ways to get health benefits."
so in reality we are left with meh
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy,

obviously, at least to those whose intellect is comparable to my own.....

Drinking is less a physical habit, and more a philosophy or religion. Or maybe more akin to a practice like prayer or meditation (not medication).

Those who are not getting the positive benefits, just aren't doing it right. they need more practice, preferably under the tutelage of a master.

as the t-shirt says:

"According to Chemistry, Alcohol is a solution."
noddy

Post by noddy »

absolutely true.

i never drink to get drunk and never drink crap alcohol - only the good stuff and it has to be enjoyed as be part of a wind-down, relaxation moment.

a good pint and a steak is about as close to life perfected as I can personally get.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:absolutely true.

i never drink to get drunk and never drink crap alcohol - only the good stuff and it has to be enjoyed as be part of a wind-down, relaxation moment.

a good pint and a steak is about as close to life perfected as I can personally get.
That man is richest, whose pleasures are cheapest.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:
noddy wrote:absolutely true.

That man is richest, whose pleasures are cheapest.
organic kale smoothies and a chunk of artisanal tofu cost more :P
ultracrepidarian
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Not if you grow them.
Censorship isn't necessary
NapLajoieonSteroids

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Simple Minded wrote:
...Drinking is less a physical habit, and more a philosophy...
Barroom philosophers are definitely a thing. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Not if you grow them.
this is true.

luckily i live next to a fresh growers district so i have an amazing amount of cheap and quality produce.

still fat and unhealthy but its all my fault.
ultracrepidarian
noddy

Post by noddy »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:
...Drinking is less a physical habit, and more a philosophy...
Barroom philosophers are definitely a thing. :)
a young backpacker walks into the bar on her first day in a new country.

the barkeep recognises her as such and says:

"seeing as its your first time here I can offer you a free ale or some vital wisdom to help your survive your time in this country"

she is taken aback and decides that even tho she is broke, she probably needs the advice.

he replies, "never decline a free beer".
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

https://video.foxnews.com/v/59806780250 ... show-clips

fictional characters drinking too much. On Guttfelds show, this was a study done in Straya.

A comedian on the show said "When I read this was an Aussie study, I just assumed they would conclude James Bond didn't drink enough."
NapLajoieonSteroids

Not really a health tip, but I love pull-up bar exercises.

That, the occasional 3 mile run in 20 minutes and planking.

Everything else is a real chore.

Though that may be changing, as I've taken to crawling- which is alright. But it requires a lot of space. Armies require crawling and so do babies.

And watching the nieces and nephews learn to crawl and then walk got me thinking that it's a good thing to incorporate into an exercise routine without adding more counting and sets and drudgery.
noddy

Post by noddy »

hah.

fwiw, I can only do excerise using my body, I cant stand gadgets like weights or machines.

not that i do it, but when i do.

practice what you want to get good at, so making yourself more coordinated at throwing your own body around is far more beneficial to life than being good at moving chrome up and down.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

I'm with you there. It's too much for zero fun.

And too many exercises which are too specific. Exercising mimicking life, where multiple areas of the musculature are at work, seem better to me.

Though that's not going to win anyone a Mr.Universe title; unless, maybe, you go full hunter-gatherer and live like that 24/7.

But hunter-gatherers seem pretty lean/wiry instead of overly muscled.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Nap & noddy,

I think you guys would both appreciate Pavel Tsatsouline's and Matt Furey's philosophies towards exercise.

Body weight functional workouts are best. Lots of information out there. Imagination also works well. Heavy Hands was a great small weight program from the 1980's.

As you get older, flexibility is key. Lots of reps, better than few reps with lots of weight.

As Furey says, when you lose flexibility you stop moving, when you stop moving, it's all downhill.

Another great line of Furey's "A guy walks into my gym and says I can squat 600 lbs. I say great. Let me see you do a one legged standup. They never can."

I have no cartilage in my right hip, and neither the ball nor socket are round anymore. But with the Little Red Riding Hood mix of strength training and stretching, there is very little pain. But it is a increasingly narrow window.

Machines are a good application for strengthening the muscle and providing some needed stability (when the joint can't), but only as a supplement to bodyweight training, not as a substitute.

Yoga and martial arts are also good. Anything that requires you to control movement works for us old folks.

Ap for virtual exercise is dying to be written.......
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh flexability is even harder when you are turning into a fatty boombah.

first step has been to increase the base level fitness so the rest can follow.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

SM,

good advice, flexibility and mobility are key- and reminds me of the training regiment of the legendary Ichiro and his beginning movement load exercises.

===========================

I'm not missing cartilage in my hip- at least not yet :o - but I do have a repaired ankle/fibula/tibia from lacrosse.

And when it comes to the ankle, it giving out at some future date is likely a matter of when. The doctors, after the surgeries told me that I have a good, 20-30 years before the ankle needs replacing (or whatever they call it). I'd like to prove'em wrong and try to make it 40 or 50.

I'm not close yet, but mobility/flexibility exercising have been a huge staple of keeping things "right". And, I've cut down on running (exercises or in context of some sport or another) in recent years for less stressful activities on the joints- so weekly full-court basketball is out and a stationary bike or swimming or brisk walking is in.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:yeh flexability is even harder when you are turning into a fatty boombah.

first step has been to increase the base level fitness so the rest can follow.
It is always best to start...... wait for it..... simple.

elevate your keyboards and equipment to bar level, so you can use a bar stool for X% of your sitting-work time and stand for (100-X)% of your sitting-work time.

balance (physical, not moral or political ) is also a huge factor for us aging types. luckily it is a skill you can increase with practice.

waiting in line (I'm sorry, on queue) stand on one leg for 20-30 seconds then switch.
brush your teeth while standing on one leg.
my 88 year old buddy who was an awesome trials rider until 3 years ago said he used to stand on one leg to towel himself off after a shower.

core strength and one legged pistols are going to be an increasing part of my regimen.

another great habit to implement: every time you sit down in a chair or stand up from a chair, do it without using your arms for lift or balance. a couple years ago, I realized I was always using my arms to stabilize my hip. Damn!
noddy

Post by noddy »

excellent advice, im doing some of that and will endeavour to do more , Its getting serious.
waiting in line (I'm sorry, on queue)
alas, being in a queue is a sign im in the wrong place at the wrong time, it happens rarely and is corrected swiftly :)
ultracrepidarian