Colonies in space

The future is so bright that we have to wear shades. Speculations about the future.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Re: Colonies in space

Post by NapLajoieonSteroids »

Victory goes to the bold. :)

How much damage could we actually do to Venus?

A balloon-microbe combo is well within Elon Musk's budget. Or since Jeff Bezos already has the look, he may as well fully commit to the Lex Luthor lifestyle and he can build it.....my point is that something like that has eccentric billionaire written all over it.

-----

Venus's atmosphere is resource rich and modelling indicates that it was possibly habitable as little as 700-800 million years ago. It would be a heckuva lotta fun to try to course correct that.

More fun than milling about the moon with its stupid moon dust. :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

all true.

bio engineered solutions have a huge failure rate in Australia resulting in plagues of unintended consequences, my kneejerk thought is perhaps not relevant as its hard to see how Venus could be made worse.

I have no doubts their will be a group of people ranting against the change :)
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote:all true.

bio engineered solutions have a huge failure rate in Australia resulting in plagues of unintended consequences, my kneejerk thought is perhaps not relevant as its hard to see how Venus could be made worse.

me thinks the self-lathers are going oppose space exploration with as much zeal as they currently oppose human occupation of Earth....

"We shouldn't destroy/contaminate/pollute/f**k up the universe like we did this planet. Until we get our act together on Earth we should quarantine ourselves!"

Yet oddly enough, as individuals they don't self-quarantine..... damn shame.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

NapLajoieonSteroids wrote:Victory goes to the bold. :)

How much damage could we actually do to Venus?

A balloon-microbe combo is well within Elon Musk's budget. Or since Jeff Bezos already has the look, he may as well fully commit to the Lex Luthor lifestyle and he can build it.....my point is that something like that has eccentric billionaire written all over it.

-----

Venus's atmosphere is resource rich and modelling indicates that it was possibly habitable as little as 700-800 million years ago. It would be a heckuva lotta fun to try to course correct that.

More fun than milling about the moon with its stupid moon dust. :)
modeling you say?

same "experts" that said Earth would be uninhabited by the year 2000?

or maybe the ones who said the time to save the Earth passed us by a couple months ago?

or the ones who claim the oceans are rising at a rate of 0.047" per year?

in a few years time, computer modelers will (or already do?) have the same credibility as bone readers.
https://www.carolinaconjure.com/bone-reading.html
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote:

me thinks the self-lathers are going oppose space exploration with as much zeal as they currently oppose human occupation of Earth....

"We shouldn't destroy/contaminate/pollute/f**k up the universe like we did this planet. Until we get our act together on Earth we should quarantine ourselves!"

Yet oddly enough, as individuals they don't self-quarantine..... damn shame.
this is why they need to live in space stations - the perfect sterile glass box of their dreams.
ultracrepidarian
NapLajoieonSteroids

That's how I figure it; Venus can't get no worse than it already is.

Screw up Mars and we break the most colony-friendly planet nearby; screw up Venus and we are left with a hellhole...sorta like it is now.
It already has a built-in money making scheme then. Gotta pay those Venus-hugger lobbyists. :)
NapLajoieonSteroids

Simple Minded wrote:
modeling you say?

I do, indeed. All the best models. The supermodels too. What? You're against putting Adriana Lima in space? :)
same "experts" that said Earth would be uninhabited by the year 2000?

or maybe the ones who said the time to save the Earth passed us by a couple months ago?

or the ones who claim the oceans are rising at a rate of 0.047" per year?

in a few years time, computer modelers will (or already do?) have the same credibility as bone readers.
https://www.carolinaconjure.com/bone-reading.html
Would you prefer they focus their talents on conjuring up models in your yard, or would you rather they play at the next door neighbors? :)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Good point. Seems kinda racist of us not to share our modelers and/or meddlers with the inhabitants of the rest of the galaxy.
NapLajoieonSteroids

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Bezos and the colonization of space.

Phys Today - Gerard K. O'Neill | The colonization of space [1974] [link to abstract and pdf article]
It's all just a little bit of history repeating.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.