Anti-gravity "explained" → field theory

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Nonc Hilaire

Anti-gravity "explained" → field theory

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

New series starting in Oriental Review. A clear and succinct summary of potential designs. Mostly beyond my physics free education but I thought you physics types might enjoy it.

https://orientalreview.org/2020/05/11/p ... oint-viii/
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
Typhoon

Re: Anti-gravity "explained"

Post by Typhoon »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:54 pm New series starting in Oriental Review. A clear and succinct summary of potential designs. Mostly beyond my physics free education but I thought you physics types might enjoy it.

Summary: not even wrong.

The simplest was to think about this is that in general relativity, the theory of gravity,
Space-time tells matter how to move; matter tells space-time how to curve.
There is no known physical phenomena, including electromagnetism, that affects this interaction between matter and space-time; no anti-curvature of space-time device.

Background.

Einstein spent the rest of his post-GR life attempting to unify gravity and electromagnetism. He was not successful.

The theory being vaguely referred to here and misinterpreted may be Einstein–Cartan theory based on the reference to torsion or perhaps his work on teleparallelism

Einstein–Cartan theory does not predict anti-gravity effects. Nor does teleparallelism.

A brief history of Einstein's efforts.

APS | Einstein's quest for a unified theory
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:37 pm
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:54 pm New series starting in Oriental Review. A clear and succinct summary of potential designs. Mostly beyond my physics free education but I thought you physics types might enjoy it.

The simplest was to think about this is that in general relativity, the theory of gravity,
Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve.
There is no known physical phenomena, including electromagnetism, that affects this interaction between matter and space-time; no anti-curvature of space-time device.
I would digress on this.(by deduction given that I have no idea how the Higgs works it gravity) There are a finite number of Higgs bosons for the entire life of the observable universe. Because of the very short life of any given Boson 10^-22 sec and the relative rarity of there creation, I have seen it proposed that at any given instant there is ~ 1 Higgs boson in the observable universe.

Assuming that dearth of of HIggs Bosons is it not possible that the HIggs not only effects the curvature of space but the expansion of the Universe as well? IE as the Universe expands, gravity is over whelmed by the expansion(due to forces unknown), because of the relatively small number of HIggs per square light year is not enough to hold the Universe together. With the main source of Higgs being stars which are expanding away from each other the effect of the Higgs at long distance would presumably be less and less.
Background.

Einstein spent the rest of his post-GR life attempting to unify gravity and electromagnetism. He was not successful.

The theory being vaguely referred to here and misinterpreted may be Einstein–Cartan theory based on the reference to torsion or perhaps his work on teleparallelism

Einstein–Cartan theory does not predict anti-gravity effects. Nor does teleparallelism.

A brief history of Einstein's efforts.

APS | Einstein's quest for a unified theory
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
noddy

Post by noddy »

wouldnt any process by which things expelled matter instead of attracting it , be hard to detect in the physical world we poke at ?

atom sized planets are hard to see :P
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

I'm referencing this series of articles the next time I have to explain to some moron why flying saucers are always round.

Also explains why Bigfoots are sometimes able to teleport and disappear in plain sight of a eyewitness.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

noddy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:24 am wouldnt any process by which things expelled matter instead of attracting it , be hard to detect in the physical world we poke at ?

atom sized planets are hard to see :P
A repelling force would result in a deviation from the inverse square law of gravity.
The most sensitive torsion balance experiment to-date has ruled out such deviations down to 56  μm or 5.6 x 10^-5 m.
This results implies that any additional spacial dimension must have a size R ≤ 44  μm. Not quite atomic scale, but no evidence so far.

Also, experimental particle physicists have search for evidence of particles predicted by theories with more than three spatial dimensions at the LHC, the higher spatial dimensions thought to be curled up [Calabi - Yau manifold], and have found nada to-date.

Calabi-Yau_manifold.jpg
Calabi-Yau_manifold.jpg (40.6 KiB) Viewed 606 times

Having stated the above, there remains one big unknown, the interaction of antimatter with gravity, which is a completely different issue than the not-even-wrong article that started this thread.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:41 pm

I would digress on this.(by deduction given that I have no idea how the Higgs works it gravity) There are a finite number of Higgs bosons for the entire life of the observable universe. Because of the very short life of any given Boson 10^-22 sec and the relative rarity of there creation, I have seen it proposed that at any given instant there is ~ 1 Higgs boson in the observable universe.

Assuming that dearth of of HIggs bosons is it not possible that the HIggs not only effects the curvature of space but the expansion of the Universe as well? IE as the Universe expands, gravity is over whelmed by the expansion(due to forces unknown), because of the relatively small number of HIggs per square light year is not enough to hold the Universe together. With the main source of Higgs being stars which are expanding away from each other the effect of the Higgs at long distance would presumably be less and less.
. . .
In quantum field theory [QFT] the vacuum state of what is conventionally taken to be empty space is constantly undergoing quantum fluctuations. Some use the term seething with quantum fluctuations.

A simulation of the quark - antiquark vacuum fluctuations [Source: Wikipedia]:

Quantum_Fluctuations.gif
Quantum_Fluctuations.gif (4.49 MiB) Viewed 588 times

Electron - positron pairs, quark - antiquark pairs, Higgs bosons, etc. are continually popping in and out of existence, so there is no "dearth of Higgs bosons in the observable universe".

Expansion of the universe. The HIggs field - boson is key in the inflation of the universe at the end of the electroweak epoch as the massless W, Z, and B bosons of the unified electroweak force transformed to the massive W and Z bosons of the weak nuclear force and the massless photon of the electromagnetic force via the Higgs mechanism.

Curvature of the universe. Here you've come across one of the great apparent mysteries of physics. The observed - measured cosmological constant in general relativity, which accounts for the observed acceleration in the expansion of the universe, is quite small whereas a calculation of the vacuum expectation value due to quantum fluctuations, as described above, gives a value about 120 orders of magnitude larger - this is know as the cosmological constant problem and has been called "the worst theoretical prediction in the history of physics."
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Assuming that dearth of of HIggs bosons is it not possible that the HIggs not only effects the curvature of space but the expansion of the Universe as well? IE as the Universe expands, gravity is over whelmed by the expansion(due to forces unknown), because of the relatively small number of HIggs per square light year is not enough to hold the Universe together. With the main source of Higgs being stars which are expanding away from each other the effect of the Higgs at long distance would presumably be less and less.
. . .
In quantum field theory [QFT] the vacuum state of what is conventionally taken to be empty space is constantly undergoing quantum fluctuations. Some use the term seething with quantum fluctuations.

Quantum_Fluctuations.gif

Electron - positron pairs, quark - antiquark pairs, Higgs bosons, etc. are continually popping in and out of existence, so there is no "dearth of Higgs bosons in the observable universe".

[More on this later.]
Understood. It is the number of HIggs bosons existing in any given instant. If what I understand is true then it would seem that it is not the higgs that is important but rather the field it resides in that is important.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:43 am

. . .

Quantum_Fluctuations.gif

[More on this later.]
Understood. It is the number of HIggs bosons existing in any given instant. If what I understand is true then it would seem that it is not the higgs that is important but rather the field it resides in that is important.
That's right. In QFT, all particles are represented as fields that exist at all of points of space-time.

I've now answered your two remaining questions.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:13 pm

. . .

Quantum_Fluctuations.gif

[More on this later.]
That's right. In QFT, all particles are represented as fields that exist at all of points of space-time.

So the main point in finding the Higgs is to prove the field exists? Also I understand that the Higgs is its own anti-particle. Is that correct?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:45 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:13 pm

. . .

Quantum_Fluctuations.gif

[More on this later.]

Also I understand that the Higgs is its own anti-particle. Is that correct?
Yes, the Higgs boson is its own antiparticle.
Doc wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:45 pm
So the main point in finding the Higgs is to prove the field exists?
Short answer. Yes.

In detail. The Higgs mechanism with the Higgs boson field was one candidate theory, admittedly the leading one, for how electroweak spontaneous symmetry breaking occurs. However, until Higgs bosons were produced and detected, particle physicists did not know if it was the correct description of this aspect of nature. The detection of the Higgs confirmed the Higgs mechanism. This was the last missing piece of the current Standard Model of particle physics.

An open question regarding the Higgs boson is known as the hierarchy problem: why is the mass of the Higgs boson so small?