inexpensive housing

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.
Simple Minded

inexpensive housing

Post by Simple Minded »

I've always been a fan of the efficiency of Quonset huts. Some of them get real Yuppie-ish!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ut+housing

Although for low cost housing it is probably hard to beat an old school bus, or an abandoned freight trailer.
noddy

Re: inexpensive housing

Post by noddy »

anything is possible once you get an hour or more away from the sensible middle class people.

turning sheds into houses or extensions for houses is perfectly legal now for me!
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 pm anything is possible once you get an hour or more away from the sensible middle class people.

turning sheds into houses or extensions for houses is perfectly legal now for me!
I am proud of you.

Most of the low cost housing shows or information available in the US is Yuppies spending a ton of money on extremely ornate small structures to demonstrate:
a. They're green virtuous cause they are building smaller.
b. They are rich enough to spend twice as much on a small structure than a normal sized structure.

Nothing is more ridiculous than the "Building Off the Grid" TV shows.

Get yerself some abandoned schools buses, Sealand boxes, or some huge culverts and be happy.

If you wanna go Rockefeller, get a used RV, and sell the drive train to re-coup your cost. Probably some of the Rock groups of the 60's are too old to tour, and might sell their tour buses cheap.

A guy a 100 miles from hear has a couple hundred old Greyhound buses available.....
noddy

Post by noddy »

yeh,1st world living off the grid is a luxury for the very rich and ironically requires you to be even more dependent on world trade and "the system" for fancy gear and its consumables.

i hope to achieve "less bills when im old" by spending money while im still earning it - couldnt care about the environmental aspects, nor the economic ones, just hoping that ill end up with 20 odd years of bills mostly prepaid.

a vague goal of a bit of part time work to cover my meat and beer requirements, the rest will come from the property and the infrastructure im building now.

plenty of folks over here live in converted school buses and drive from town to town living in car parks and using any free water or electricity around to avoid paid camping sites.

we call em "grey nomads" - its a bunch of baby boomers who sold the houses and decided they would spend the rest of their lives travelling.
ultracrepidarian
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

There's a distinction between inexpensive and cheap, especially when the price is to dear for either distinction:

Fartchitecture is ruining your neighborhood, and you probably haven’t even noticed
The second architectural category though, is much less tolerable, and unfortunately for us, it’s the category that almost all modern buildings fall into. I don’t know if it has an official name, but it’s the kind that produces the miles upon endless miles of totally inconsequential, cookie cutter buildings that are so boring they look like they were farted onto the street by someone who had something much better to do.
This type of Fartchitecture, as it shall now be known, has taken over cities. It exists, largely because real estate developers, in the interest of profits, have abandoned almost all interest in producing buildings that are actually decent and are only willing to pay small amounts of money to shameless architecture firms that will accept their dirty work.
https://stephencorwin.medium.com/fartch ... 5573380baf
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

ill defend ugly, prefab and cheap architecture all day long.

N4gruB3lH6g
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Miss_Faucie_Fishtits wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:27 pm There's a distinction between inexpensive and cheap, especially when the price is to dear for either distinction:

Fartchitecture is ruining your neighborhood, and you probably haven’t even noticed
The second architectural category though, is much less tolerable, and unfortunately for us, it’s the category that almost all modern buildings fall into. I don’t know if it has an official name, but it’s the kind that produces the miles upon endless miles of totally inconsequential, cookie cutter buildings that are so boring they look like they were farted onto the street by someone who had something much better to do.
This type of Fartchitecture, as it shall now be known, has taken over cities. It exists, largely because real estate developers, in the interest of profits, have abandoned almost all interest in producing buildings that are actually decent and are only willing to pay small amounts of money to shameless architecture firms that will accept their dirty work.
https://stephencorwin.medium.com/fartch ... 5573380baf
"Fart, is in the eye of the beholder."

"that's why I dynamited Cortlandt!"
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:02 am ill defend ugly, prefab and cheap architecture all day long.

N4gruB3lH6g
Me too! Now that the cold weather is here. Every time I walk in to my cheap, ugly, warm house, I think back to the Upstate NY weather of my childhood.

People who knew cold and hunger in their youth have very different concepts of aesthetics, fashion, and luxury as adults.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:54 pm People who knew cold and hunger in their youth have very different concepts of aesthetics, fashion, and luxury as adults.
i dont know about that, all i know is I dont care what the outside of the house looks like and every grand spent on making it prettier was far better spent elsewhere.

more toys, more beer, more holiday time, more anything really.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 am
Simple Minded wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:54 pm People who knew cold and hunger in their youth have very different concepts of aesthetics, fashion, and luxury as adults.
i dont know about that, all i know is I dont care what the outside of the house looks like and every grand spent on making it prettier was far better spent elsewhere.

A man (gender assumed, sorry if you're offended) after my own heart. for most, I think it is a choice for status and potential resale value.

few things are more wasteful than when architecture becomes art rather than practical structures.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Simple Minded wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:34 pm
noddy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 am

A man (gender assumed, sorry if you're offended) after my own heart. for most, I think it is a choice for status and potential resale value.

few things are more wasteful than when architecture becomes art rather than practical structures.

I do appreciate other peoples fine houses, some do look slick, Ive also noticed how it was somewhere around the 1900's that quality went downhill and as a people, we just spent less effort on it all.

still, i have a limited work life, a limited budget, and other peoples visual pleasure is very low on my list of things to wage slave for.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:12 am
I do appreciate other peoples fine houses, some do look slick, Ive also noticed how it was somewhere around the 1900's that quality went downhill and as a people, we just spent less effort on it all.

still, i have a limited work life, a limited budget, and other peoples visual pleasure is very low on my list of things to wage slave for.
Way back in the 60's, my dad who had an excavating business lamented how much money people were starting to spend on houses.

"How much living can you actually do inside a house? Most of the time you are inside your house, you're sleeping!"

Stands to reason that those who don't enjoy (or have access to) the great outdoors spend more on housing.

Over here, after the financial boom of the 1980's, facades became more important, and parents did not want their kids to pursue blue collar work. I think that accounts for a lot of the drop in work quality in the trades.

The other factor that contributed greatly to exploding housing costs was bank lending policies/govt housing loan guarantees. For my dad's generation, a 40% downpayment was often required and the borrower had to have several years of solid paycheck history.

Needless to say, the big downpayment influenced the definition of luxury vs necessity quite a bit.

In the late 80's/early 90's, 5% was a more common downpayment.