How to get from Universal Ethics to The Promised Land?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Re: How to get from Universal Ethics to The Promised Land?

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Another cognitive scientist that tears it up....'>.....:

23BKwgBdt6E
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
crashtech66

Post by crashtech66 »

So many paths lead to nihilism. My programming rejects these paths as 1/0.
r3Dju2i4FZw
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Q: "How to get from Universal Ethics to The Promised Land?"

A: "More killing, please" [Spenglerman]
'When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist,
a woman in the audience stood up and said, '
"Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?“

~ Quentin Crisp
"The question is, why is Western man so willing to kill over ideas? "

~ Z
Taki's Mag - Z | The Ideological Battlefield

Offhand, I thought of a few candidate counterexamples.

The Taiping Rebellion.
However, Hong Xiuquan was taught by Western Christian missionaries.

The Civil War in China between the Kuomintang and the CCP.
However, both sides had adopted conflicting Western ideologies.

Imperial Japan's colonial expansion.
However, Japan took Britain and the then British Empire as its role model.

The killing fields of Pol Pot's Cambodia.
However, Pol Pot was trained in Western Marxist-Leninist ideology in Paris.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Miss_Faucie_Fishtits

Post by Miss_Faucie_Fishtits »

Colonel Sun wrote:Offhand, I thought of a few candidate counterexamples.

The Taiping Rebellion.
However, Hong Xiuquan was taught by Western Christian missionaries.

The Civil War in China between the Kuomintang and the CCP.
However, both sides had adopted conflicting Western ideologies.

Imperial Japan's colonial expansion.
However, Japan took Britain and the then British Empire as its role model.

The killing fields of Pol Pot's Cambodia.
However, Pol Pot was trained in Western Marxist-Leninist ideology in Paris.
The counterexamples still fit the model or..... the exceptions that proves the rule....'>.......

A YouTube channel where Endeavour picks up on Christopher Z's vibe and expounds on it, line item by line item....'>......

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LhCPUA-7dw
She irons her jeans, she's evil.........
noddy

Post by noddy »

europe is the most recent and the most well documented, with the least amount of political interference on the hiding truth to maintain face - the furthur you go into asia, the less murky details that upset the feelings of the population are considered a good thing..

north western europe and eastern asia are both equally suspicious for a homogeneous magority of folks with a certain look and cultural coherency.

the counter examples fit.

compare to places like africa, india or south east asia which have crazy amounts of different little cultures and tribes all doing their own thing.

a lack of over arching empire killing all the folks that dont fit in, one might say.
ultracrepidarian
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Excellent article. So many obvious statements. Ideology will never be "settled" (unlike "science"), because it "all depends upon what the meaning of is, is."

Modern tech allows millions and billions of people to argue about what is "fair." The "virtual me" can be projected ad infinitum at the speed of light, to an audience we never have, and never shall meet. Oddly enough, "In my mind, I'm correct," and also in my mind "You are wrong!"

In the past, that was a very localized argument. Look up "Churches" in the Yellow Pages of a small town in the Bible Belt for an excellent example.

The Altruist using modern tech to fight "rugged individualism" (or whatever they can imagine or fear) to create a common, harmonious "we." As long as "we" is a reflection of "me."

No wonder why current wokeness and "weness" is nothing more than territorial tribalism.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

noddy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:25 am europe is the most recent and the most well documented, with the least amount of political interference on the hiding truth to maintain face - the furthur you go into asia, the less murky details that upset the feelings of the population are considered a good thing..

north western europe and eastern asia are both equally suspicious for a homogeneous magority of folks with a certain look and cultural coherency.

the counter examples fit.

compare to places like africa, india or south east asia which have crazy amounts of different little cultures and tribes all doing their own thing.

a lack of over arching empire killing all the folks that dont fit in, one might say.
Well said. WTF chance does "we" have of living up to "my ideals?" "I" can't even live up to those ideals myself!!!!

Seems like a timeless aspect of some parts of humanity. Projecting this as a Western only trait seems overly simple minded.

I had a discussion the other day about altruism and selflessness. I said to a long time friend, anytime someone wishes to present themselves as selfless, the simple question of "What is YOUR name?" kinda blows their argument out of the water.