Home James.

Now, what news on the Rialto?
noddy

Home James.

Post by noddy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... rship_rate

one of the most important metrics for how free a people are is the levels of wage slavery for basics like a roof over your head.

the number one country in the world is thusly with Romania 96.1% of the population owning their own home :)

Australia and the USA are equal - 65% of folks, which cunningly seems the perfect number of folks to keep a status quo system bubbling along with 35% of the population desperate in wage slavery to provide cheap services.

Japan, not much different 61%
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Re: Home James.

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 amthe number one country in the world is thusly with Romania 96.1% of the population owning their own home :)
I've no idea where they got that number from.
“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
The Kushner sh*t is greasy - Stevie B.
noddy

Post by noddy »

I would aasume lack of rentals and people livimg at home with parents count favourably.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

I find it kinda hard to believe that less than 4% of the population is renting. Still, one factor does come to mind. In the early '90s, the new government decided to sell all housing built under the communist government to residents, turning them into owners. Also, it seems the former communist countries are into home ownership.

“There are a lot of killers. We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent? Take a look at what we’ve done, too.” - Donald J. Trump, President of the USA
noddy

Post by noddy »

Lack of faith in the system might do that to you

The germans surprise me, wage slaves for life.
ultracrepidarian
YMix

Post by YMix »

noddy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 amLack of faith in the system might do that to you
I'm not so sure. Can't speak for other countries, but I remember reading that Bucharest had a strong rental market about a century ago. People used to move A LOT, with some (poorer) people moving every six months (at Saint George / April 23 and Saint Dumitru / October 27). It may have been because the city was growing rapidly and housing was being built everywhere. Maybe because landlords tended to push rents up. I'm not sure.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Interesting that home ownership is generally higher in E Europe and the Baltics than in W Europe given W Europe's propensity to down upon E Europe.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
YMix

Post by YMix »

Speaking of Germany.
The "DW und Co. Enteignen" (Expropriate Deutsche Wohnen and Co.) referendum campaign has now cleared all its electoral hurdles. The vote passed with a resounding "Yes" vote of 56.4% in Sunday's poll in the capital. Crucially, more than 25% of all elibible voters in Berlin voted yes, a difficult requirement that has previously tripped up other popular campaigns.

Berliners have spoken and what they have to say is clear: they want city authorities to pass a law which would allow for the expropriation of what they call "private" real estate companies, specifically those that own more than 3,000 housing units. The campaigners say the companies would be compensated at a rate "well below market value."

Just to get on the ballot in Berlin, the referendum organizers had to collect 175,000 valid, handwritten and fully verified signatures. Now, more than one million people have voted in favor in an official referendum, giving the measure powerful popular support.

Deutsche Wohnen, which owns around 113,000 housing units in the city, is clearly the main target. But other companies would be affected, such as Vonovia, which is currently trying to buy Deutsche Wohnen, and the Pears Group. Another is the Swedish company Heimstaden, which announced on the night of the vote that they had just bought 14,000 new homes in Berlin.