Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Typhoon

Re: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm
Colonel Sun wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:20 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 pm https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -of-truth/

Long-Awaited Muon Physics Experiment Nears Moment of Truth
The collaboration at FNAL announced their result today.

g-2comp_1.jpg

In particle physics, a 5 sigma result is the threshold for new physics.

The big question now is not the experimental result but whether the theoretical value is accurate as it involves a very challenging series of calculations involving QCD contributions of the strong nuclear force.

Muon g-2 result
You beat me to it. I hit Preview instead of Submit and walked away for a few minutes.
:lol: . . . Sorry.
Doc wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm The possibility of new particles and or forces is huge.
Perhaps. However, the probability of detecting them with current experimental capabilities is quite small.

There is also the economic aspect as in "No bucks, no Buck Rogers."
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:55 am
Doc wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 pm https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -of-truth/

g-2comp_1.jpg

The big question now is not the experimental result but whether the theoretical value is accurate as it involves a very challenging series of calculations involving QCD contributions of the strong nuclear force.

Muon g-2 result
You beat me to it. I hit Preview instead of Submit and walked away for a few minutes.
No problem :lol:

Doc wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm The possibility of new particles and or forces is huge.
Perhaps. However, the probability of detecting them with current experimental capabilities is quite small.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I watched the press conference pretty much as it happened. It was a bit confusing on the Sigma level, and how large they thought they could make it. But it was pretty clear that what they had accomplished thus far was amazing.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:36 am

g-2comp_1.jpg

Muon g-2 result

Yeah I was wondering about that. I watched the press conference pretty much as it happened. It was a bit confusing on the Sigma level, and how large they thought they could make it. But it was pretty clear that what they had accomplished thus far was amazing.
The experiment is a technical tour de force.

The issue is with the theoretical calculation to which the experimental g - 2 result is being compared.

A just-published new approach [lattice QCD] to calculating the tricky bit [the hadronic component] is in agreement with the experimental result rather than differing by 4.2 sigma.

Nature | Leading hadronic contribution to the muon magnetic moment from lattice QCD

While the experiment continues to run the theorists have their work cut out for them reconciling these different results from different methods of calculation.

gmuon.png
gmuon.png (307.45 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

Résonaances | Why is it when something happens it is ALWAYS you, muons?

Physics is tough.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:17 am
Doc wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:36 am

g-2comp_1.jpg

Muon g-2 result

The experiment is a technical tour de force.

The issue is with the theoretical calculation to which the experimental g - 2 result is being compared.

A just-published new approach [lattice QCD] to calculating the tricky bit [the hadronic component] is in agreement with the experimental result rather than differing by 4.2 sigma.

Nature | Leading hadronic contribution to the muon magnetic moment from lattice QCD

While the experiment continues to run the theorists have their work cut out for them reconciling these different results from different methods of calculation.

gmuon.png

Résonaances | Why is it when something happens it is ALWAYS you, muons?

Physics is tough.
The lattice paper first appeared a year ago but only yesterday was published in Nature in a well-timed move that can be compared to an ex crashing a wedding party
Seems like there is quite an argument going on in the comments. I had to double check to see if it was a US Politics site. :lol:

Anyway it seems great things are about to happen for the human race, as long as we don't blow ourselves up first.
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Doc

Post by Doc »

LIGO Gravitational wave data used to confirm General Relativity by approximating PI in a novel way..

From a year ago but I just came across the article. So here it is:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... tios-test/
Pi in the Sky: General Relativity Passes the Ratio’s Test

Using gravitational waves to approximate pi, physicists see no problem with Einstein’s theory
Doc

Post by Doc »

Doc wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:09 pm LIGO Gravitational wave data used to confirm General Relativity by approximating PI in a novel way..

From a year ago but I just came across the article. So here it is:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... tios-test/
Pi in the Sky: General Relativity Passes the Ratio’s Test

Using gravitational waves to approximate pi, physicists see no problem with Einstein’s theory
Timely video on how LIGO will be improved in the sensitivity of its measurements

uZDhCW-PTRM
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

APS | Customizing Thermal Emission
Theorists have shown that patterned surfaces can transform the emission from a hot object into a polarized, focused light beam.
e84_1.png
e84_1.png (509.53 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
Surface transformer. A design for a “thermal metasurface” would allow thermal radiation from an object to be converted into a beam with a specific direction, polarization, and wave-front shape.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:59 pm APS | Customizing Thermal Emission
Theorists have shown that patterned surfaces can transform the emission from a hot object into a polarized, focused light beam.
e84_1.png

Surface transformer. A design for a “thermal metasurface” would allow thermal radiation from an object to be converted into a beam with a specific direction, polarization, and wave-front shape.
That is visually, a pretty cool picture.

I wonder if the wave length of 224 nm is doable.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Colonel Sun wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:59 pm APS | Customizing Thermal Emission
e84_1.png

amazeballs
ultracrepidarian
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Quanta Mag | QFT - The Mystery at the Heart of Physics That Only Mathematics Can Solve
Over the past century, quantum field theory has proved to be the single most sweeping and successful physical theory ever invented. It is an umbrella term that encompasses many specific quantum field theories — the way “shape” covers specific examples like the square and the circle. The most prominent of these theories is known as the Standard Model, and it is this framework of physics that has been so successful.

“It can explain at a fundamental level literally every single experiment that we’ve ever done,” said David Tong, a physicist at the University of Cambridge.

But quantum field theory, or QFT, is indisputably incomplete. Neither physicists nor mathematicians know exactly what makes a quantum field theory a quantum field theory. They have glimpses of the full picture, but they can’t yet make it out.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

The equation of the Standard Model [specifically, the Lagrangian] written out in full.

SM_in_full_n.jpg
SM_in_full_n.jpg (253.11 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Doc

Post by Doc »

https://www.laserfocusworld.com/test-me ... e-universe
Quantum sensing may probe the universe
Oct. 20, 2021
After enhancing LIGO's ability to record gravitational waves from across the universe, quantum sensing is being tuned up to hunt for elusive dark matter.

“Quantum sensing has been pursued for a longer time than quantum computing, going back to the early days of the squeezing of light to generate a quantum state of light over three decades ago,”1 says John Bollinger of NIST (Boulder, CO). Since then, squeezed light has been used to increase the sensitivity of optical measurements, and to entangle light for quantum-key distribution.2 But according to Bollinger, the first application of quantum sensing that is “making a difference” in fundamental physics is the use of squeezed light to lower the noise floor of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO), starting in 2019.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Pretty cool visible to the eye quantum tunneling demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvSlaIwUCuk

kvSlaIwUCuk

The Action Lab channel on Youtube has quite a few gems like this.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheActionLab/videos
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Could this be feasible?

Gravity is such a weak force.

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2 ... lum-swings
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Neutron Pulses used to test Gravity at short distances . . . is there much chance that they’ll find anything unexpected?

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v11/s34
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Brecher wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:08 am Could this be feasible?

Gravity is such a weak force.

https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2 ... lum-swings
An experiment to measure the gravitational Aharonov–Bohm* effect was proposed in 2012

and a measurement of the effect was recently reported

Physicists detect an Aharonov–Bohm effect for gravity

*Aharonov–Bohm Effect

so this new experiment may be doable.

As is always the case in such precision experiments, the devil is in the systematic uncertainties - effects that could produce a false positive result.
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

What is your take on Gravitational Decoherence?

To me, it doesn’t make sense. Why should differences in time be treated so much differently than differences in position?

https://www.nature.com/articles/nphys3366
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Typhoon wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:13 amAs is always the case in such precision experiments, the devil is in the systematic uncertainties - effects that could produce a false positive result.
That’s what I was worried about. Gravity is such a weak force that any little thing, like a bit of static electricity, could throw off the experiment. A remember how Gravity Probe B’s results were off due to a small classical torque.

However, they had enough data and math to deal with the problem, so perhaps they’ll be able to isolate what they want to test with the pendulum experiment, too.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

My daughter is completely baffled by calculus. She’s not good at math and a poor prof.

Any resources y’all can recommend?
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila
noddy

Post by noddy »

I would suggest that calculus is like learning the alphabet and rules of a language, which is complex and pointless without a clear vision for wanting to write a book or enjoy literature.

on that level, being into robotics or computer graphics or some fields of science is the entry point, then the calculus becomes obvious, and even fun, as a means to an end.

robot kits are super cheap and fun now , kids are building self driving cars and drones and all sorts of things.
ultracrepidarian
Brecher

Post by Brecher »

Doc

Post by Doc »

Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:40 am My daughter is completely baffled by calculus. She’s not good at math and a poor prof.

Tell her to do as many problems as possible. most text books have the answers in the back of the book to check against. There are also several Youtube videos that might help her.
Nonc Hilaire

Post by Nonc Hilaire »

Doc wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:11 am
Nonc Hilaire wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:40 am My daughter is completely baffled by calculus. She’s not good at math and a poor prof.

Tell her to do as many problems as possible. most text books have the answers in the back of the book to check against. There are also several Youtube videos that might help her.
They no longer use textbooks in college. Students are forced to pay access fees for online access that expires at the end of semester.
“Christ has no body now but yours. Yours are the eyes through which he looks with compassion on this world. Yours are the feet with which he walks among His people to do good. Yours are the hands through which he blesses His creation.”

Teresa of Ávila