Infrastructure and its Discontents

This too shall pass.
Simple Minded

Re: Infrastructure and its Discontents

Post by Simple Minded »

Typhoon wrote:I'm lead to wondering if a modern industrialized state, after the period of rapid industrialization and esp infrastructure construction, is sustainable [in the traditional as opposed to so-called green co-opted meaning of the term].

Perhaps it simply costs to much to maintain against entropy?
Typhoon,

I think you are right. I have long thought the same. Look at a picture of some of the bigger bridges, NYC, France, or larger civil engineering projects in Japan, Dubai. Look at just a few of the newer cities (less than 100 years old) versus the older cities (200+ years old).

I think the entire Western Hemisphere is learning this lesson, not only in terms of social programs, but also useless spending on infrastructure, as jobs programs, political payoffs, etc. Many who bought into the real estate or college bubbles of the last 30 years are starting to get it.

The Elliott Wavers have posted some interesting articles correlating the building skyscrapers with late stages of bull markets.

Kinda hard to explain to some who have never worked outdoors.

About 18 months ago I rode Amtrak from Virgina to Albany, NY. Most of the way from DC to NYC, I kept thinking "Wow! This lavender needs replacing....... Cost may be completely unaffordable..... Cost-Benefit analysis.... How?"

Kinda like rebuilding New Orleans after Katrina.... why bother? Mother Nature is the great leveler...... and a real bitch who don't care mush, must, much about your plans..... or your fixed capital investments...

Anyone? Bueller...... Bueller....Bueller.....
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote: I bet you drive on a road within 24 hours of demonstrating that yiu do not know what the word infrastructure means.
Well sure. And if the government can build a road that means that everything the government does always is worth the money.
...or that the electric car would be successful with proper infrastructure.
Sure and the best part is there is no risk in such an endeavor! Wonder why then it hasn't happened...
Censorship isn't necessary
Enki

Post by Enki »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Well sure. And if the government can build a road that means that everything the government does always is worth the money.
Off-topic. Got anything to say about infrastructure?
...or that the electric car would be successful with proper infrastructure.
Sure and the best part is there is no risk in such an endeavor! Wonder why then it hasn't happened...
It is happening. Austin Texas has electric car charging stations all over the place.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote: Off-topic. Got anything to say about infrastructure?
yes, oceans and oceans of wealth are destroyed in it's name.
It is happening. Austin Texas has electric car charging stations all over the place.
Well, in that case it looks like there is no need for a federal role.
Enki

Post by Enki »

It is called the power grid. Our economy has been boosted by massive infrastructure rollouts the entire history. Claiming that infrastructure investment hasn't boosted our economy is just not oin line with the facts.
Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike.
-Alexander Hamilton
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Why would anyone consider the proliferation of electric cars to be a good thing?

I could understand it in the LA basin, but Austin, TX?
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Enki wrote:It is called the power grid. Our economy has been boosted by massive infrastructure rollouts the entire history. Claiming that infrastructure investment hasn't boosted our economy is just not oin line with the facts.
Claiming that countless trillions haven't been wasted on "infrastructure", even very recently, is just not in line with the facts.
monster_gardener
Location: Trolla. Land of upside down trees and tomatos........

We need that Infrastructure or may be Dinosaur Time.........

Post by monster_gardener »

Simple Minded wrote:
Typhoon wrote:I'm lead to wondering if a modern industrialized state, after the period of rapid industrialization and esp infrastructure construction, is sustainable [in the traditional as opposed to so-called green co-opted meaning of the term].

Perhaps it simply costs to much to maintain against entropy?
Typhoon,

I think you are right. I have long thought the same. Look at a picture of some of the bigger bridges, NYC, France, or larger civil engineering projects in Japan, Dubai. Look at just a few of the newer cities (less than 100 years old) versus the older cities (200+ years old).

I think the entire Western Hemisphere is learning this lesson, not only in terms of social programs, but also useless spending on infrastructure, as jobs programs, political payoffs, etc. Many who bought into the real estate or college bubbles of the last 30 years are starting to get it.

The Elliott Wavers have posted some interesting articles correlating the building skyscrapers with late stages of bull markets.

Kinda hard to explain to some who have never worked outdoors.

About 18 months ago I rode Amtrak from Virgina to Albany, NY. Most of the way from DC to NYC, I kept thinking "Wow! This lavender needs replacing....... Cost may be completely unaffordable..... Cost-Benefit analysis.... How?"

Kinda like rebuilding New Orleans after Katrina.... why bother? Mother Nature is the great leveler...... and a real bitch who don't care mush, must, much about your plans..... or your fixed capital investments...

Thank you Very Much for your post

OK........ Ferrous ;) Bueller... Ferrous as in an Iron-Nickel space rock headed toward Earth...... maybe not big enough to be a Dinosaur Killer but big enough to devastate a continent......... :shock: :o :shock: :(
I'm lead to wondering if a modern industrialized state, after the period of rapid industrialization and esp infrastructure construction, is sustainable
Humanity needs to figure out how to at least create and maintain an anti-meteor force or maybe we are as dumb as the dinosaurs.......

One of the few good reasons for G_d to let souped up killer apes like us to get nukes that I can figure would be to give us chance that the dinosaurs didn't have to save ourselves.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Or ... pulsion%29

Maybe this is a test........

Turn those city busters into mini-nukes to power an Orion Rocket to get us off of this Third Rock from the Sun before another rock hits it........

We have been warned..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_Crater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_%28star%29
For the love of G_d, consider you & I may be mistaken.
Orion Must Rise: Killer Space Rocks Coming Our way
The Best Laid Plans of Men, Monkeys & Pigs Oft Go Awry
Woe to those who long for the Day of the Lord, for It is Darkness, Not Light
Mr. Perfect

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Tinker, even liberals won't buy an electric car. Tinker, if even liberals won't buy an electric car who will?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... |FRONTPAGE
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Mr. Perfect wrote:Tinker, even liberals won't buy an electric car. Tinker, if even liberals won't buy an electric car who will?

Greenies who think walking is a great form of exercise???
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Mr. Perfect wrote:Tinker, even liberals won't buy an electric car. Tinker, if even liberals won't buy an electric car who will?

Greenies who think walking is a great form of exercise???
As a form of exercise, walking is one of the best, if not the best.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.