Climate change and other predictions of Imminent Doom

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Carbizene

Re: Re:

Post by Carbizene »

Oops....

None of this means that marine methane hydrates don't occasionally erupt, however. Hinrichs has used fossil remnants of bacteria that flourish only under high methane concentrations to show that large quantities of the gas must have been released in the Santa Barbara Basin off California during an event some 44,000 years ago3. This gas didn't necessarily escape to the atmosphere, he says, but it did come from underwater ice.
...perhaps you should have read the whole article.

Let me guess..now you don't think Nature is an acceptable Journal and it is just part of the conspiracy... :lol:
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Carbizene wrote:
Oops....

None of this means that marine methane hydrates don't occasionally erupt, however. Hinrichs has used fossil remnants of bacteria that flourish only under high methane concentrations to show that large quantities of the gas must have been released in the Santa Barbara Basin off California during an event some 44,000 years ago3. This gas didn't necessarily escape to the atmosphere, he says, but it did come from underwater ice.
...perhaps you should have read the whole article.

Let me guess..now you don't think Nature is an acceptable Journal and it is just part of the conspiracy... :lol:
Rather it seems that you read only a single sentence and projected into it what you wanted to believe.

Occasional is not extinction.

The body of the article is consistent with the heading.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Typhoon wrote:
*buzzer sound*
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Carbizene wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
*buzzer sound*
Well, yes.

Claiming to know what the global temperature was in 1880 to +/- 0.1C is not just buzzer worthy, but gong worthy.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Todd Sowers, a palaeoceanographer at Pennsylvania State University in Philadelphia, measured hydrogen isotopes of atmospheric methane from three distinct warming episodes, 38,000, 14,500 and 11,500 years ago.
The article I quote is about the Paleocene Methane levels, over 55 million years ago, slightly different.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Typhoon wrote:

Claiming to know what the global temperature was in 1880 to +/- 0.1C is not just buzzer worthy, but gong worthy.
Ah..the good ol' 'this line of debate ain't going to well so I'll bait and switch' technique. ;)

As for the accuracy of GISS and Hadley they reflect quite closely UAH and RSS so the idea they are not accurate is A-grade bullshit, frankly peddled by the mentally unstable.

I note that the above graph negates your broad sweeping dismissal of Climate Science being the only field without error bars.
Yukon Cornelius

Re: The Anthropogenic Global Warming Controversy

Post by Yukon Cornelius »

Guys, if ANYONE could make accurate predictions about this, we wouldn't be arguing. Make enough claims, eventually one or two are bound to be true. It doesn't mean your're in command of a predictive model. Plus or minus 10-30% isn't science, it's getting lucky.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Well one would think so but a significant prediction has just come true and here we are.

The event is not just a secondary prediction resultant of many people working on a topic but the central one to major fuckedupness.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Guys, if ANYONE could make accurate predictions about this, we wouldn't be arguing. Make enough claims, eventually one or two are bound to be true. It doesn't mean your're in command of a predictive model. Plus or minus 10-30% isn't science, it's getting lucky.
True enough Yukon, but there is a lot more money to be made in confusion than that science thang....

You do realise that doubting the High Priests of AGW makes you a border line Flat Earth heretic, right?

Either repent now, or wear that badge with honor!
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

If Religion had evidence such as Kilometer in diameter plumes of Methane from disassosciating Clathrates I wouldn't leave it's place of worship.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Yukon Cornelius

It's just weather, until it isn't...

Here's another Global Warming Update, just got this in my email from wunderground.com
...Record sea ice at Pribilof Islands...

This has been an extreme winter for sea ice in the Bering Sea and now
we have broken the records for most number of days with ice at both
Saint Paul Island and Saint George Island.

As of today sea ice has been at Saint Paul Island for 103 days this
winter breaking the previous record of 100 days set in 2010.

The number of days with sea ice at Saint George Island totaled 79
when the ice retreated north on the 25th of April. The previous
record of 60 days was set in 2010.

The sea ice edge today is well south of Saint Paul Island and ice is
likely to remain at the island through the middle of may.

The sea ice is north of Saint George Island today but ice is forecast
to push south of the island over the weekend due to cold north winds.

The National Weather Service Alaska sea ice program began archiving
data in the mid 1980/S. Sea ice data prior to this is very limited
and inconsistent.
Had this been a record low for sea ice, it would have been shoved down our throats.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Bravo Yukon! Robert Felix has tons of articles like this posted at iceagenow.com.

Buying into AGW is kinda like being in the group of cool kids in Junior High School. Deviating from group belief gets you ostracized.

Agreeing gets you "scientific cred in da hood."

"What's in your wallet?"
Yukon Cornelius

Errrg... don't get me wrong, the AGW people could be as right as rain -- they just don't have the ability to model or accurately predict what will happen. Really, really wanting something to be true isn't science; they need to admit that.
We don't argue about the distance from the Earth to the Sun.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Errrg... don't get me wrong, the AGW people could be as right as rain -- they just don't have the ability to model or accurately predict what will happen. Really, really wanting something to be true isn't science; they need to admit that.
We don't argue about the distance from the Earth to the Sun.
Could'nt agree with you more. The +/-0.1 C is the crux of the matter. The scientist who argues "there appears to be mild warming tend, but truth is our measurements in the last 20 years are less accurate than the change in trend, and prior to twenty years ago, our measurements are even less accurate," strike me as an honest person.

But the big money isn't being thrown at honest people, it is thrown at those who promote an agenda.

The future is a whole nother set of variables that can not be modeled.
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

You guys seem to be missing the significance of what is occuring under the East Siberian Sea right now, Methane Clathrates have started disassociating on a large scale, this is one of the predicted worse case scenarios, if not the worst becoming real so there is no argument as to the validity of AGW concerns, the horse has bolted and there is no 'other' side to the discussion now.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Carbizene wrote:You guys seem to be missing the significance of what is occuring under the East Siberian Sea right now, Methane Clathrates have started disassociating on a large scale, this is one of the predicted worse case scenarios, if not the worst becoming real so there is no argument as to the validity of AGW concerns, the horse has bolted and there is no 'other' side to the discussion now.

Sooner or later, those who predict the end of the world will be right. Either way it has been fun discussing and messing with you.

Is'nt interesting... that so many people who won't buy insurance, or take care of themselves in terms of health, or save for retirement, demand that the experts save the planet?
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Carbizene wrote:You guys seem to be missing the significance of what is occuring under the East Siberian Sea right now, Methane Clathrates have started disassociating on a large scale, this is one of the predicted worse case scenarios, if not the worst becoming real so there is no argument as to the validity of AGW concerns, the horse has bolted and there is no 'other' side to the discussion now.
Sooner or later, those who predict the end of the world will be right. Either way it has been fun discussing and messing with you.

Is'nt interesting... that so many people who won't buy insurance, or take care of themselves in terms of health, or save for retirement, demand that the experts save the planet?
Not unlike people looking forward to immortality, but at a loss with what to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:

. . .
Indeed.

Here's two predictions that we can be reasonably certain of regarding the future of life on earth;

1/ The next major Ice Age will reduce the earth's human population by billions

as the earth becomes a much much colder and dryer place with much of the northern hemisphere covered by kilometres deep ice

2/ And eventually, in about 5 billion years, the Sun will become a red giant ending all life on earth

The evidence then for global warming will then be completely unambiguous and well beyond question

except that no one will around to debate it . . .
planctom

Lovelock: I was alarmist about climate change

Post by planctom »

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... hange?lite

It seems that proponents of MMGW are, wel.., humm... err..... maybe wrong in their forecasts.

interesthing parts: " The problem is that we don´t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago"

He also says that Al Gore and Tim Flannery are alarmists.

Well, well, well, I don´t know anything about meteorology and related subjects but I can understand what I read.
Looking forward to read Typhoon´s and carbizene´s coments,
Carbizene

Post by Carbizene »

Simple Minded wrote:

Well what can you say about hippies?
Carbizene

Re: Lovelock: I was alarmist about climate change

Post by Carbizene »

planctom wrote:http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... hange?lite

It seems that proponents of MMGW are, wel.., humm... err..... maybe wrong in their forecasts.

interesthing parts: " The problem is that we don´t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago"

He also says that Al Gore and Tim Flannery are alarmists.

Well, well, well, I don´t know anything about meteorology and related subjects but I can understand what I read.
Looking forward to read Typhoon´s and carbizene´s coments,
I never bought into the whole 'Gaia' thing, just a little too 'gayer' for me, the idea that rock is somehow a organic proxy or whatever was just a little too much Hippy crack for me. Hippies are cheese eating surrender monkey's and end up devaluing the very thing they crap on about as seen in the 'Gaia' thing comparing Rock to Life and resultantly devaluing life.

Flannery and Gore are pussies, they are not nearly alarmist enough, nobody is, I've been talking with various Scientists about the ESS event and nobody really wants to know lavender.
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Carbizene wrote:
Simple Minded wrote:

Well what can you say about hippies?

:lol: :lol: Ya still got it!! ;)
Simple Minded

Post by Simple Minded »

Carbizene wrote: I never bought into the whole 'Gaia' thing, just a little too 'gayer' for me, the idea that rock is somehow a organic proxy or whatever was just a little too much Hippy crack for me. Hippies are cheese eating surrender monkey's and end up devaluing the very thing they crap on about as seen in the 'Gaia' thing comparing Rock to Life and resultantly devaluing life.

Flannery and Gore are pussies, they are not nearly alarmist enough, nobody is, I've been talking with various Scientists about the ESS event and nobody really wants to know lavender.
Well of course people don't want to know if there is nothing they can do about it. Kinda like like finding a broken condom on the floor the morning after..... too late....

what I want to know is how many of the scientists you are talking to are extremely confident, you know like buying Ferraris on credit, or boffing anything that walks with out caring whether their husbands or wives find out...

To my unscientific brain, that would be a real indicator....
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Simple Minded wrote:
Carbizene wrote: I never bought into the whole 'Gaia' thing, just a little too 'gayer' for me, the idea that rock is somehow a organic proxy or whatever was just a little too much Hippy crack for me. Hippies are cheese eating surrender monkey's and end up devaluing the very thing they crap on about as seen in the 'Gaia' thing comparing Rock to Life and resultantly devaluing life.

Well of course people don't want to know if there is nothing they can do about it. Kinda like like finding a broken condom on the floor the morning after..... too late....

what I want to know is how many of the scientists you are talking to are extremely confident, you know like buying Ferraris on credit, or boffing anything that walks with out caring whether their husbands or wives find out...

To my unscientific brain, that would be a real indicator....
Said scientists, so-called, are busy jetting around the world attending conferences to proclaim imminent doom.

No evidence of any pre armageddon behaviour.