Will China catch or surpass US in technology?

Advances in the investigation of the physical universe we live in.
Heracleum Persicum

Will China catch or surpass US in technology?

Post by Heracleum Persicum »

TBT0WdeySks

I think odds are high China would surpass US in technology

But

I think US will lead in "applications" of new technologies, phantasy prospers in free societies

That is why US should keep business as usual

Doc

Re: Will China catch or surpass US in technology ?

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:08 am .

TBT0WdeySks

But

I think US will lead in "applications" of new technologies, phantasy prospers in free societies

China is ahead of the US in technology that spies on it citizens as a form of social control. In the beginnings of Silicon valley a huge incentive was given to people with expertise in making semi conductors. They were offered stock options for when the company would go public that would make them instant millionaires when those option were exercised. However the best people would have a pick of companies to work for. If a given company was more sure to get to the point it would go public they would get the employees.

In China the government gives semiconductor start ups the money to start up. 100's of Millions of dollars of it. And the Chinese semiconductor companies have all gone broke. So their is no incentive for very smart people to take a chance on Chinese semiconductor companies..

SO 100;s of millions lost and nothing to show for it.

What a disaster !! What a disaster !!
"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:04 pm

TBT0WdeySks

But

China is ahead of the US in technology that spies on it citizens as a form of social control.

West, America, doing this long before China

Only difference is :

America says "don't worry, be happy" we the good guys (meaning we dont misuse it, which not true at all)

Now that China TOO doing same, finger pointing is on

nations would be naive not use the technology .. In UK, Canada, India etc, everywhere

As born in Iran, crossing borders, immigration officers asked many questions .. now, we go through immigration with Zero question asked, smooth

Reason is, "They" know everything .. Credit cards #s are given to Airlines, hotels , restaurants .. car licenses are scanned on highway and toll boots, google timeline sends me every months where I have been with time and picture ..

Not sure Chinese are as advanced yet

Doc wrote:

In the beginnings of Silicon valley a huge incentive was given to people with expertise in making semi conductors. They were offered stock options for when the company would go public that would make them instant millionaires when those option were exercised. However the best people would have a pick of companies to work for. If a given company was more sure to get to the point it would go public they would get the employees.

In China the government gives semiconductor start ups the money to start up. 100's of Millions of dollars of it. And the Chinese semiconductor companies have all gone broke. So their is no incentive for very smart people to take a chance on Chinese semiconductor companies..

That was modus operandi 40 yrs ago when a FAB cost $ 200 m .. now FAB cost $ 3-5 Billion

That is why US semi not leading as much as before , too risky investment for Joe .. Joe rather invests in Twitter and faceBook

Ever thought why Elon Musk bought "Twitter" shares and not started a Semi company ? If he who is top techi and worth $ 200+ Billion does not invest in Semi but in Twitter, who would ? Chinese government would :lol:

China can buy any talent "from Taiwan" , which they are doing

China hires top semi talent from Taiwan and rewards them high

Semi design (which all US Semi companies do) is not the key , the FAB being able to manufacture it with the yield (which dictates the price of the chip) is the make or brake

"Advanced Semiconductor Materials Lithography" is the killer technology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASML_Holding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_Materials

Challenge for China is not Semi but Semi making equipment, Chinese are now trying to compete in Semi making equipment, competing with Applied Materials, ASML

Last edited by Heracleum Persicum on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:39 pm

TBT0WdeySks

But

China is ahead of the US in technology that spies on it citizens as a form of social control.

Not to the degree that the CCP is doing it. You should visit Shanghai HP. I heard now is a great time to visit there to avoid the crowds !!

Just avoid the protests as the CCP doesn't like foreign devils coming to interfere with their internal affairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aic5pG0o20

1aic5pG0o20

So advanced!! So advanced !!
:?

:lol:
Only difference is :

America says "don't worry, be happy" we the good guys (meaning we dont misuse it, which not true at all)

Now that China TOO doing same, finger pointing is on

nations would be naive not use the technology .. In UK, Canada, India etc, everywhere

As born in Iran, crossing borders, immigration officers asked many questions .. now, we go through immigration with Zero question asked, smooth

Reason is, "They" know everything .. Credit cards #s are given to Airlines, hotels , restaurants .. car licenses are scanned on highway and toll boots, google timeline sends me every months where I have been with time and picture ..

Not sure Chinese are as advanced yet

Doc wrote:

In the beginnings of Silicon valley a huge incentive was given to people with expertise in making semi conductors. They were offered stock options for when the company would go public that would make them instant millionaires when those option were exercised. However the best people would have a pick of companies to work for. If a given company was more sure to get to the point it would go public they would get the employees.

That was modus operandi 40 yrs ago when a FAB cost $ 200 m .. now FAB cost $ 3-5 Billion

That is why US semi not leading as much as before , too risky investment for Joe .. Joe rather invests in Twitter and faceBook

Ever thought why Elon Musk bought "Twitter" shares and not started a Semi company ? If he who is top techi and worth $ 200+ Billion does not invest in Semi but in Twitter, who would ? Chinese government would :lol:

China can buy any talent "from Taiwan" , which they are doing

China hires top semi talent from Taiwan and rewards them high

Semi design (which all US Semi companies do) is not the key , the FAB being able to manufacture it with the yield (which dictates the price of the chip) is the make or brake

"Advanced Semiconductor Materials Lithography" is the killer technology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASML_Holding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Micro_Devices

Challenge for China is not Semi but Semi making equipment, Chinese are now trying to compete in Semi making equipment, competing with AMD, ASML

"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros
Heracleum Persicum

Re: Will China catch or surpass US in technology?

Designing leading edge Processor Semi not what Chinese lack .. but .. manufacturing it (with acceptable yield) is what Chinese not yet can do without Western equipment

Huawei processor Kirin 9000, state-of-the-art circuit system, with 5 nm process .. was being produced by Samsung

US stopped that

To beat US in Semi, China must catch up with US in Semi manufacturing equipment , Applied Materials , Lam Research Corporation , KLA Corporation , Advanced Semiconductor Materials Lithography

Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote:

post_id=160092 time=1649107652 user_id=285]

TBT0WdeySks

But

Not to the degree that the CCP is doing it. You should visit Shanghai HP. I heard now is a great time to visit there to avoid the crowds !!

Just avoid the protests as the CCP doesn't like foreign devils coming to interfere with their internal affairs

1aic5pG0o20

Watched the clip a few times .. don't know what you object

Quarantining Shanghai excellent idea .. sure some people dont like it, they protest, quite civilized

How many Americans died due to covid till today ? 1,000,000 , one million
How many Chinese died due to covid till today ? 4,600

Consider China 4 times population of US

Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:03 pm
Doc wrote:

TBT0WdeySks

But

1aic5pG0o20

Quarantining Shanghai excellent idea .. sure some people dont like it, they protest, quite civilized

You mean how many people in the US died due to the CCP virus because the CCP has such technologically advanced high security labs to contain such deadly viruses. SO how many Iranians died from the CCP virus HP?

COVID-19 in Iran: Coronavirus outbreak ... and impact

The Islamic Republic of Iran was the first Middle East country to report a death due to coronavirus.

Iran was the first ME country to have a death from the CCP virus? :shock: How is that possible? China far from Iran HP. Do you think bats from China flew to Iran on vacation and didn't social distance when they got there because they partied too much?? A lot of mad mullahs died from the CCP virus as well. Do you think maybe they were going out with the bats to party?

If so, these are devil bats trying to corrupt the pure godly mad mullahs of Qum.
Heracleum Persicum

Doc wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:09 am
Doc wrote:

TBT0WdeySks

But

1aic5pG0o20

You mean how many people in the US died due to the CCP virus because the CCP has such technologically advanced high security labs to contain such deadly viruses. SO how many Iranians died from the CCP virus HP?

The Islamic Republic of Iran was the first Middle East country to report a death due to coronavirus.

Iran was the first ME country to have a death from the CCP virus? :shock: How is that possible? China far from Iran HP. Do you think bats from China flew to Iran on vacation and didn't social distance when they got there because they partied too much?? A lot of mad mullahs died from the CCP virus as well. Do you think maybe they were going out with the bats to party?

If so, these are devil bats trying to corrupt the pure godly mad mullahs of Qum.

Would not shake the boat re origin of Covid-19 Virrus .. now Hunter Biden files show Pentagon was active in Ukraine to develop these kind of viruses probably to attack Russia and China , Hunter Biden brought Pentagon money to Ukrainian .. let's wait for UN to check the Russian evidence

Re iranian Cov id-19 casualty , unfortunately you are right , many died

But

Their blood is on Trump's hand

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... story.html

U.S. sanctions could impede Iran’s access to coronavirus vaccines, experts say

U.S. economic sanctions on Iran could impede its access to coronavirus vaccines, business and financial analysts say

“The Trump administration has deliberately failed to provide the kind of clarity and guidance that would be necessary to allow financial institutions that contain Iranian accounts” to allow Iran “use of its own money for making these purchases,” said Esfandyar Batmanghelidj, founder and publisher of Bourse & Bazaar, a media company supporting business diplomacy between Europe and Iran.

Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari told state television last month that Iran’s initial Covax payment to ensure participation had been held up. “Our country’s prepayment to participate in Covax is underway, but due to the cowardly sanctions of the Americans and the problems in the transfer of currency, this has not happened yet,”

a “culture of over-compliance and a culture of fear” means that “foreign banks don’t know how to or don’t want to handle Iranian money, even for permissible trade,” Batmanghelidj said. Beyond these legal concerns, he said, financial firms and other businesses are hesitant to work with Iran “because it can take two or three times as long” to conduct a transaction because of bureaucratic hurdles.

Trump told all companies not to deal with Iran or be fined

Ayatollah said F.U and ordered to make home made Vaccines

China and Russia were first to send vaccines to Iran

Now Iran vaccine exporter
Heracleum Persicum

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Pls look per capital casualty from Covid-19

America .. 3,019 death per 1m population

Iran ... 1,591 death per 1m population

Iran has one of the best doctors in the world , that is why

Many top Doctors in US are Iranians .. many head of top hospitals Iranian doctors
Doc

Post by Doc »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:58 am
Doc wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:09 am
Doc wrote:

1aic5pG0o20

Would not shake the boat re origin of Covid-19 Virrus .. now Hunter Biden files show Pentagon was active in Ukraine to develop these kind of viruses probably to attack Russia and China , Hunter Biden brought Pentagon money to Ukrainian .. let's wait for UN to check the Russian evidence

Re iranian Cov id-19 casualty , unfortunately you are right , many died

But

Their blood is on Trump's hand

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... story.html

U.S. sanctions could impede Iran’s access to coronavirus vaccines, experts say

U.S. economic sanctions on Iran could impede its access to coronavirus vaccines, business and financial analysts say

“The Trump administration has deliberately failed to provide the kind of clarity and guidance that would be necessary to allow financial institutions that contain Iranian accounts” to allow Iran “use of its own money for making these purchases,” said Esfandyar Batmanghelidj, founder and publisher of Bourse & Bazaar, a media company supporting business diplomacy between Europe and Iran.

Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari told state television last month that Iran’s initial Covax payment to ensure participation had been held up. “Our country’s prepayment to participate in Covax is underway, but due to the cowardly sanctions of the Americans and the problems in the transfer of currency, this has not happened yet,”

a “culture of over-compliance and a culture of fear” means that “foreign banks don’t know how to or don’t want to handle Iranian money, even for permissible trade,” Batmanghelidj said. Beyond these legal concerns, he said, financial firms and other businesses are hesitant to work with Iran “because it can take two or three times as long” to conduct a transaction because of bureaucratic hurdles.

Trump told all companies not to deal with Iran or be fined

Ayatollah said F.U and ordered to make home made Vaccines

China and Russia were first to send vaccines to Iran

Now Iran vaccine exporter
They were bio labs in Ukraine. I did not know Ukraine was part of china. The CCP claims that it discovered Iran as well. Is Iran part of China? That would explain why Iran got the CCP virus so early. People in other countries must be very afraid of Iran money. Iran should tell them that they should be afraid of American money since much of it is printed in Iran.
Heracleum Persicum

I give up :lol:
Heracleum Persicum

https://www.ft.com/content/5db35bfe-1eb ... e1e3988a8c

Xiaomi battles to reinvent itself as China’s Apple

“Xiaomi is on three racing tracks, smartphone, internet of things and EV, all with challenges there from big existing players,” said Ivan Lam, a smartphone analyst at Counterpoint Research in Hong Kong. “But Xiaomi is insisting on having it all. It’s going to be very challenging.”

Xiaomi’s biggest hurdle to realising its goals of overtaking Apple and Samsung is convincing consumers of its high-end pedigree.

Xiaomi’s 12 series phones, released in March and costing $749 for the most basic version, are designed to compete with Apple’s $799 iPhone 13.

“Being able to create brand power for Chinese brands is hard, very few have done it,” the former executive said. “[But Lei] is extremely charismatic, he has a firm conviction in what he thinks is right . . . I wouldn’t be surprised if they managed to pull this off.”
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCp8h9RkaSw&t=1638s

Under Xi, PR China seems to be returning to a type of command economy.
These is no better way to stifle innovation than a command economy.

Note that TSMC, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, Limited,
originated and is based in Taiwan - a democracy, not PR China.

Anyways, form the West and Japan's point of view, Xi may prove to be yet another Chinese [red] emperor who, once again, snatches defeat from the jaws of the dragon of victory.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Heracleum Persicum

Typhoon wrote:

Disclosure : I was "involved" in Semi

Nothing to do with democracy or Plan economy

TSMC is a giant FAB .. all TSMC semi making equipments (and material) are American, Dutch, Japanese, European

True, Taiwan Chinese (and Koreans) were early technologist in SV in 1980's but now make or brake semi technology is in those state of the art fabrication "equipment".

My guess is, am sure, China now will try to make own and compete with Tokyo Electron Limited, Applied Materials, Dutch ASML, Lam Research Corporation, KLA Corporation, SCREEN Holdings ... all these company equipments are on "US munition list" and export restricted

China now must make their own semi fabrication equipment .. that is the challenge China now faces
Heracleum Persicum

US has a tech edge
but China believes it is culturally superior

In yet another realm of US-China rivalry, both superpowers are treating the emerging metaverse as a contested military domain.
Moreover, there are questions about whether metaverses will promote certain morality biases in simulating reality. As with AI, stakeholders in developing metaverse technology may imprint their biases into the technology, producing a virtual reality that amplifies social, political and ethnic inequalities, which could potentially become more embedded as metaverse ecosystems mature and the line between the virtual and real steadily blurs.

Metaverses can also be designed to reflect national values and ideals, with states designing metaverses that reflect their own policies and cultures in terms of design and simulation.

Metaverses excellent space for expression of looots of cultural, social etc issues difficult doing so in real
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Heracleum Persicum wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:42 pm
Typhoon wrote:

Disclosure : I was "involved" in Semi

Nothing to do with democracy or Plan economy

TSMC is a giant FAB .. all TSMC semi making equipments (and material) are American, Dutch, Japanese, European

True, Taiwan Chinese (and Koreans) were early technologist in SV in 1980's but now make or brake semi technology is in those state of the art fabrication "equipment".

My guess is, am sure, China now will try to make own and compete with Tokyo Electron Limited, Applied Materials, Dutch ASML, Lam Research Corporation, KLA Corporation, SCREEN Holdings ... all these company equipments are on "US munition list" and export restricted

China now must make their own semi fabrication equipment .. that is the challenge China now faces
Interesting that you were "involved" in the semiconduction business.

Quite right re semi fabrication.
May the gods preserve and defend me from self-righteous altruists; I can defend myself from my enemies and my friends.
Typhoon

Post by Typhoon »

Reminds me of the following outcome of the first British expedition to China - the Macartney Mission of 1793.
Our Celestial Empire possesses all things in prolific abundance and lacks no product within its borders.
There is therefore no need to import the manufactures of outside barbarians in exchange for our own produce.

— Qianlong Emperor, Second Edict to King George III of Great Britain, 1793,
Furthermore,
Emperor Qianlong's letter's continuing reference to all Europeans as "barbarians", his assumption of all nations of the earth as being subordinate to China, and his final words commanding King George III to "...Tremblingly obey and show no negligence!" used the standard imperial sign off as if the king were a Chinese subject.
Of course, the British returned, with guns and cannons, powered by Chinese-invented gunpowder.

The Chinese response. The "Boxers" who believed that "magic" potions would make them immune to bullets.
Well, one does not have to be a soldier or medical doctor to figure out how that turned out - the "Unequal Treaties" and the Opium Wars.

So the current cognitive dissonance between the PR China belief in "moral" and other superiority versus actual history expresses itself in histrionic overreaction to any perceived slight, no matter how minor, by a foreign individual, corporation, or nation.

Anyways, it is a bit ironic that the PR China, from Deng Xiao Ping onwards, has purchased, copied, and stolen all kinds of Western and Japanese technology to advance.